Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SkyFlare
Punch Card
Views: 1,420
Message 1 of 15

Lenovo Y520 stability issues

I have recently purchased a brand new Lenovo Legion Y520 15IKBM (Specs: i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, 128gb SSD + 1TB HDD, GTX 1060) and I'm liking it so far. It would be perfect for me if it wasn't for a couple issue that have been plaguing me.

First: sometimes the system takes relatively long to boot. Usually it'll just show me Lenovo's logo for a couple of seconds and take me straight to the login screen, but sometimes it would stay on the logo for 10-15 seconds (without even showing the circling "loading" dots), then the screen would go blank for a few extra seconds and only then I would be on the login screen. And when it does that, the system continues to be considerably slower than usual even after login. Rebooting the system (sometimes twice) fixes the issue entirely. This happens regardless of whether or not the laptop is plugged in, but it seems to happen consistently on the first time I turn on the laptop after unplugging it. There are also times where, when I turn off the laptop, the screen turns off but the keyboard, power LED and fans are still powered for a LONG time.

The second issue would be the system freezing seemingly at random, no matter if I'm playing a game or doing lightweight work. The whole OS would just lock up and either unfreeze after 10 to 30 seconds or straight up bluescreen with a KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR. I would provide a memory dump, but apparently the system is set by default to not create any. That, and sometimes it would just bluescreen out of the blue (pun not indended) without freezing beforehand. It happened twice, both times while I was watching youtube videos on Google Chrome with nothing else running in the background.

Some info:

• I ran scans with Windows Defender, Emsisoft Emergency Kit and Malwarebytes Free, no malware detected.
  • Ran Memtest86 overnight, no errors.
  • All drivers were downloaded from Lenovo's website, and I only updated the BIOS, HDD firmware and a few more drivers that I actually needed to update.
  • Lenovo's own diagnostic tools, both LSC and the built in diagnostic toolkit in Vantage, returned no errors.
  • I've done a factory reset a few times already, both from windows 10 and from downloading a recovery image for my specific model from Lenovo's site itself and putting it on an USB. Issues still happening.
  • I'm not running any third party security software in the background, just Windows Defender.
  • The only programs running in the backround on a regular basis, aside from nvidia's software and Nerve Center, are Steam, Logitech Gaming Software (for my mouse) and Discord.
  • This is actually the second laptop of the same model I owned. I returned the first one to the store and got it replaced because I thought these issues, which happened on the first laptop too, were due to faulty hardware (the first model also had temperature issues, where the slightest load on the CPU would send it straight to 90 degrees, so it needed to be replaced anyway)
  • Running the latest Windows 10 build, fully updated.
  • The power profile in Power Settings is set to High Performance

I'd appreciate any input or help in fixing those issues. Hopefully I'll be able to get these problems solved, because I'm actually enjoying this machine quite a bit when it's working properly.

vrs_csab
Paper Tape
Views: 1,405
Message 2 of 15

Re: Lenovo Y520 stability issues

Hello there!

I came here to share these same issues with my own Y520, when I saw your post. The difference is that MY Legion don't even let me to factory reset it, or run chkdsk, but beside these, I've tried everything.

This is a pretty good laptop, but if it continues working like this, I will have to take it back, because I can't work on it properly like this.

Hukimuki
Paper Tape
Views: 1,394
Message 3 of 15

It's my day one with Lenovo Y520 and I my Pc became unresponsive while I was doing video call. I was downloading League of legends on background though. Ctrl+alt+del didn't work...Had to force pc to shutdown.

vrs_csab
Paper Tape
Views: 1,317
Message 4 of 15

UPDATE: 

So my laptop is fully useless now. I've had a couple of CRITICAL PROCESS ERRORs, and when the laptop resterted, it showed, that Boot device is not found, so I changed UEFI to Legacy boot in the Bios. After that, it worked for a couple of hours, but after a few errors, my laptop can't even boot the Windows. I still can't factory reset it, I will try a clean install, but I think the problem is with the hdd. I hope the shop will take it back, I have it for only 5 months now, and it was not that cheap.

Hukimuki
Paper Tape
Views: 1,288
Message 5 of 15

It looks like you are having serious issues there. Can't you just send it up to warranty?

If you could just come here tell how this story end.

SkyFlare
Punch Card
Views: 1,264
Message 6 of 15

Update: I don't want to speak to soon, but it seems like the issue has... fixed itself?

I haven't used my laptop much but I did do some work on it and played games in short bursts only experiencing a single freeze, which went away after a few seconds.

One thing that I forgot to mention is that, although I'm using defender now, I used to run a third party AV (Avast Free), and I would honestly not be surprised if that was the cause of the blue screens or even the system hangs. Haven't had a BSOD or major freeze ever since I got rid of it. That, and I have Superfetch turned off.

The only issue I have now is the occasional slow boot after which the system seems unusably slow untill I reboot (I just reboot from the login screen when that happens, although I have no idea what could be the cause of it) as well as the machine taking a long while to turn off after the screen goes black (UPDATE: I think it was Windows 10's fast boot feature. I turned it off along with hibernation and boot time is consistent.)

I'll mark this post as a solution unless something crazy happens again, but it seems to be smooth sailing from now on.

Hukimuki
Paper Tape
Views: 1,209
Message 7 of 15

Let's hope that it stays that way! Smiley Happy

SkyFlare
Punch Card
Views: 1,188
Message 8 of 15

It didn't. I still had issues with the computer locking up for seemingly no reason, bluescreening (this time with CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED), and taking far too long to shut down or booting up (to the point where I'd have to hard reset it by holding the power button).

So I downloaded Windows 10 straight from Microsoft's media creation tool and installed that. Seemed to have make the system a bit more stable (and cleaner as well).

However here's the thing. I was playing a game and it did bluescreen (CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED again) shortly after I launched it. I did some research on what could cause that error in general, many say it could be a malware infection, bad drivers or system file corruption.

So I scanned my PC with 4 antiviruses (Malwarebytes free, Avast! free, Windows Defender and Emsisoft Emergency Kit), none of which found anything, ran DISM and SFC to check for system corruption, everything was fine.

Then I ran Driver Verifier and it detected a violation with AcpiVpc.sys, a driver from Lenovo.

Now I'm not sure if that was what is causing the issue. Thing is, I went on Lenovo's driver page for my model and tried to update the ACPI driver to the latest version. Didn't seem to do much as the setup would immediatly close upon opening. Oh well.

But the fact that it crashed while gaming made me wonder if it's due to the fact that I was using Lenovo's drivers for my GTX 1060 instead of nVidia, so I updated those through GeForce Experience.

EDIT: Nope, just crashed again with the same error message as I was watching a youtube video.

Either way I'm beyond confused. Should I go and uninstall Lenovo's ACPI drivers? Can those even cause that bluescreen?

SkyFlare
Punch Card
Views: 1,151
Message 9 of 15

EDIT: I'm 80% sure it's the SSD!

I checked Windows' event logger and it was flooded with hardware error regarding something connected to a PCI, I checked exactly which root port was causing the errors, then checked Device Manager and, you guessed it, that port is apparently where the NVMe controller is.

Now I still don't know whether it's a driver issue (Chipset and other Intel drivers drivers are up to date) or the SSD connection not being perfect but... well. It's something.

Zasch
Paper Tape
Views: 1,061
Message 10 of 15

Hey is your issues still persisting? i have a similar model with gtx 1060 as well. had way horrible issues than yours. Lenovo actually replaced my motherboard twice on the 4th month of owning this laptop. At this point im thinking whether if it is just the gtx1060 model that is having this kind issues as my friends with gtx1050/1050ti is functioning well with no issues. Quite fed up with the issues since its hindering my works and time.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors