Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Gaming – Lenovo LegionGaming Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

86 Posts

08-28-2019

Czech Republic

104 Signins

798 Page Views

• Views: 798
  • Message 91 of 258

Re: Lenovo Y540 Audio desync (Audio ahead of Video)

2019-11-06, 0:19 AM

@Phobius

You have tried so many things that there are 3 things that come on my mind:

1. Clean install of Windows (this can solve more problems than you would think, I had crackling sound and soooo many issues and most of them are gone (some new ones appeared shortly after though). 

2. Return it if you can/let them replace it

3. Get used to it.

Also to point out something, HD audio is completely different, driver it's Realtek causing this issue and possibly Windows trying to overturn manufacturer's drivers, I would suggest to disable Windows automatic driver update. Good luck.

Options

47 Posts

10-10-2019

Bosnia and Herzegovina

109 Signins

961 Page Views

• Views: 961
  • Message 92 of 258

2019-11-06, 6:42 AM

Those aren't solutions. It's really unbelievable that no one from Lenovo is acknowledging this issue, when so many customers report it on the official forum. There isn't a single response from Lenovo reps on this and similiar topics. 

I have made an observation that when changing brightnnes with keyboar shortcuts, there's immediate latency spike reported in LatencyMon. I have read that some laptops from other manufacturers have the same issue with DPC latency spikes when pressing this keyboard shortcut. Maybe it's something to do with Windows. I tried to disable HPET (in device manager and with CMD (admin) command: BCDEDIT /SET DISABLEDYNAMICTICK NO and then restart) , but I didn't see any changes.

I think it's somehow all related and since it's the same with Windows audio drivers and Realtek audio drivers, I'm not sure it's about drivers at all. I also made an observation with High performance power plan (there's only Balanced in Power options, so I made a Custom one based on High performance power plan), and when it's selected it seems that audio desync is gone. That is not a solution, since it makes CPU to allways work at 100%, and that doesn't make any sense on a laptop. 

I'm typing this message from an older HP laptop from work and that one has no audio video desync, and no DPC latency, even when it's so weak that it needs 5-10 minutes to open AudoCAD, so there's that for comparision.

I'm probably gonna go through that rabbit hole and return this laptop to service. I know they will just mess with it, maybe open it and replace some parts, and with that make integrity of my unit worse, and they will not be able to fix this issue, but I will keep returning it until I get a refund or replacement to other model, from other manufacturer.

I don't see how a clean windows install can fix this, since I know that this issue was present on my unit since I made a clean install and installed correctly all drivers, but I will probably try just to be sure. 

Is there anybody here who uses Y540 and doesn't have audio video desync when watching, for example, YouTube? Please, if there is, can you post what settings and drivers you use?

Thank you.

PS

Lenovo support can keep quiet about this, but it won't make this issue go away. This is damaging Lenovo reputation for me and I'm not gonna recommend Lenovo to anyone I know anymore.

Options

47 Posts

10-10-2019

Bosnia and Herzegovina

109 Signins

961 Page Views

• Message 93 of 258

2019-11-06, 6:44 AM

Those aren't solutions. It's really unbelievable that no one from Lenovo is acknowledging this issue, when so many customers report it on the official forum. There isn't a single response from Lenovo reps on this and similiar topics. 

I have made an observation that when changing brightnnes with keyboar shortcuts, there's immediate latency spike reported in LatencyMon. I have read that some laptops from other manufacturers have the same issue with DPC latency spikes when pressing this keyboard shortcut. Maybe it's something to do with Windows. I tried to disable HPET (in device manager and with CMD (admin) command: BCDEDIT /SET DISABLEDYNAMICTICK NO and then restart) , but I didn't see any changes.

I think it's somehow all related and since it's the same with Windows audio drivers and Realtek audio drivers, I'm not sure it's about drivers at all. I also made an observation with High performance power plan (there's only Balanced in Power options, so I made a Custom one based on High performance power plan), and when it's selected it seems that audio desync is gone. That is not a solution, since it makes CPU to allways work at 100%, and that doesn't make any sense on a laptop. 

I'm typing this message from an older HP laptop from work and that one has no audio video desync, and no DPC latency, even when it's so weak that it needs 5-10 minutes to open AudoCAD, so there's that for comparision.

I'm probably gonna go through that rabbit hole and return this laptop to service. I know they will just mess with it, maybe open it and replace some parts, and with that make integrity of my unit worse, and they will not be able to fix this issue, but I will keep returning it until I get a refund or replacement to other model, from other manufacturer.

I don't see how a clean windows install can fix this, since I know that this issue was present on my unit since I made a clean install and installed correctly all drivers, but I will probably try just to be sure. 

Is there anybody here who uses Y540 and doesn't have audio video desync when watching, for example, YouTube? Please, if there is, can you post what settings and drivers you use?

Thank you.

PS

Lenovo support can keep quiet about this, but it won't make this issue go away. This is damaging Lenovo reputation for me and I'm not gonna recommend Lenovo to anyone I know anymore.

Options

47 Posts

10-10-2019

Bosnia and Herzegovina

109 Signins

961 Page Views

• Message 94 of 258

2019-11-06, 6:48 AM

Is there anybody here who uses Y540 and doesn't have audio video desync when watching, for example, YouTube? Please, if there is, can you post what settings and drivers you use? Thank you in advance!

PS

Options

47 Posts

10-10-2019

Bosnia and Herzegovina

109 Signins

961 Page Views

• Message 95 of 258

2019-11-06, 6:56 AM

PS

Options

86 Posts

08-28-2019

Czech Republic

104 Signins

798 Page Views

• Views: 798
  • Message 96 of 258

2019-11-06, 22:28 PM

Me, Latency mon says it's all ok, DPC shows problem sometimes when there is a little more load but I never noticed Latency in videos, movies, music what my unit used to suffer was crackling sound when using headphones (and some other issues), after Windows clean install they are gone and system is way more intuitive. That's why I tell you may try to remove bloatware and manufacturer's settings via clean install.

Options

47 Posts

10-10-2019

Bosnia and Herzegovina

109 Signins

961 Page Views

• Message 97 of 258

2019-11-07, 6:26 AM

My laptop didn't come with OS, so I installed clean installation of latest Windows 10, downloaded with Media Creation Tool. I then installed all drivers through Lenovo Vantage and checked with driver download site (using Lenovo bridge) too if there are any updates for my drivers. There where none. I couldn't do nothing wrong there?

What power plan do you use? Last night I made a progress. Now in Windows 10 there is only Balanced power plan with slider with 3 options (Better battery life, Better performance and Best performance). No matter what slider setting I use, on battery or plugged in, with Hybrid mode on or off, I get audio desync. However, if I create new power plan with High performance settings, but then modify it so that minimal processor state is 5% (default is 100%, but I put that back to 5% to a value from Balanced profile to minimase thermal pressure on components), my laptop runs great without desync. With that settings, there isn't any DPC latency too, and only with those settings DPC latency checker shows no red lines, and LatencyMon shows all green lines. If I try to use that same settings on battery, I get audio desync and bad latency results. In fact, if I modify newly created High performance profile to have the same settings like default Balanced profile I still get no desync and latency when plugged in. If I revert to Balanced profile and put slider to Best performance I get desync and bad latency.

After all this, I'm starting to think that it could be an issue with power settings. What driver is responsible for this? It's like my laptop doesn't know when and how to use its power. It obviously doesn't correctyl distribute processor power for it's tasks, like it doesn't know how much power it needs to run video correctly. High performance profile puts processor constantly on high frequency of 2,4 GHz (even with minimal power state set back to 5%), and HWMonitor confirmed this reading. However, if I set Balanced profile and slider to best performance I get constant reading of 2,4 GHz too, but still get audio desync and bad latency.

This is driving me nuts. I'm probbably gonna try to install Windows from sratch today, but I'm pretty sure it won't matter, because there is obviously some software issue with BIOS or some energy managment driver. 

Options

5 Posts

10-06-2019

Poland

11 Signins

68 Page Views

• Views: 68
  • Message 98 of 258

2019-11-07, 7:36 AM

I have similar observations. I currently don't have any delays. But when I turned on youtube on battery, the problem spectacularly returned. I changed the "Minimum CPU status to 100%" and works also on battery OK.

Options

47 Posts

10-10-2019

Bosnia and Herzegovina

109 Signins

961 Page Views

• Message 99 of 258

2019-11-07, 7:56 AM

It looks that only solution is to let your CPU work at 100% all the time. That isn't a solution for any PC, especially for laptop. It isn't healty for it, it heats the maschine too much and wastes energy. It definitly isn't normal. Our laptops should work normalny in Balanced power plan.

I also noticed, compared to my work laptop, Legion is missing Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Settings in advanced power plan settings (thats in the same place where you edit minimum processor state). I was worried it's because some energy managment or chipset drivers arent properly installed. Lenovo Vantage and update with Lenovo Bridge show that there aren't any updates for my drivers. Does that mean everything is properly installed?

Options

47 Posts

10-10-2019

Bosnia and Herzegovina

109 Signins

961 Page Views

• Message 100 of 258

2019-11-08, 7:03 AM

Last night I decided to go with Windows reset to factory settings. This process deleted all apps and personal settings (like fresh installation of Windows), but it seems it left most of the drivers installed. After the initial Windows setup i opened Edge browser and played a video on YouTube. It was in perfect sync, even on battery power (the video was 1 hour long).

I then installed Lenovo Energy Managment, Lenovo Vantage Gaming Feature Driver and then from Windows Store I installed Lenovo Vantage software. After opening Lenovo Vantage I didn't get the new Legion Version with Lenovo Edge, but the old version for IdeaPad laptops. I then deinstalled Lenovo Vantage, went to device manager and deinstalled "System Interface Foundation V2 Device" under System Devices, and then installed Lenovo Vantage again from the Windows Store. This time, the right version of Lenovo Vantage was shown and automatic updates showed new version of Lenovo Vantage Gaming Feature Driver. I installed it and restarted my laptop. I then installed Google Chrome and checked that Lenovo Vantage shows Balanced profile and Hybrid mode on. 

I opened the same video on YouTube on Edge and Chrome, and there was audio desync again, when plugged in or battery power.

Guys, this means that the real culprit for this audio desync issue is the Lenovo Vantage software or the Lenovo Energy Managment driver (maybe combination of those two)!!! It probably has issues with power managment, it's CPU profiles (quiet, balanced, performance) that are throttling CPU wrong and causing the desync.

I will try to test further more over the weekend. I'll try to deinstall Lenovo Vantage and Energy Managment driver, just to be sure, and then, I'll even try a total clean installation of Windows 10, with SSD format and all.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms