Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maltasoron
Fanfold Paper
Views: 299
Message 1 of 7

Lenovo Y540 crackling sound

Hi all,

This week I received my brand new Lenovo Legion Y540.

It works like a charm expect for one problem: the audio often produces a crackling sound. Sounds like a sort of static and is really annoying. It happens when listening via the speakers but also when using head phones.

Strangely it doesn’t seem to happen when the laptop is in full performance when playing a game, then the audio is just fine. But is does happen when only playing Spotify or Youtube.

Lenovo helpdesk had one advice: update the sound card drivers (Realtek), otherwise, send it back en replace the unit. That would take a lot of time and i’m convinced there must be a simpler solution, I think its’s not a hardware issues, but a software issue. Because the audio CAN work fine, just not in every situation.

Things I tried so far: updating sound card drivers, removing drivers, replacing drivers, disable audio effects, increasing minimal CPU performance from 5 to 100%, restore laptop to original settings, updating windows to the newest version, use the laptop in battery mode, using a high performance power schedule (via de windows power management, not the lenovo power management).

Non of it worked. In a different thread on this forum I read that in battery saving mode, some laptops would distribute too little energy to the sounds card, which in turn led to crackling sounds. 

It would explain why the issue does not occur when playing video games. But I do not want to have my laptop in constant high performance mode: then the fans produce a lot of noise. 

If this indeed is the issue, is there a way to distribute more (enough) energy to the sound card, without putting the laptop in a high performance mode? How is this achieved, via BIOS settings of via power management software?

Does anybody have the same issue with this model? Does anybody have a solution? 

Thanks a lot!

Koen

Dan_Petrescu
Token Ring
Views: 268
Message 2 of 7

Re: Lenovo Y540 crackling sound

@maltasoron wrote:

Hi all,

This week I received my brand new Lenovo Legion Y540.

It works like a charm expect for one problem: the audio often produces a crackling sound. Sounds like a sort of static and is really annoying. It happens when listening via the speakers but also when using head phones.

Strangely it doesn’t seem to happen when the laptop is in full performance when playing a game, then the audio is just fine. But is does happen when only playing Spotify or Youtube.

Lenovo helpdesk had one advice: update the sound card drivers (Realtek), otherwise, send it back en replace the unit. That would take a lot of time and i’m convinced there must be a simpler solution, I think its’s not a hardware issues, but a software issue. Because the audio CAN work fine, just not in every situation.

Things I tried so far: updating sound card drivers, removing drivers, replacing drivers, disable audio effects, increasing minimal CPU performance from 5 to 100%, restore laptop to original settings, updating windows to the newest version, use the laptop in battery mode, using a high performance power schedule (via de windows power management, not the lenovo power management).

Non of it worked. In a different thread on this forum I read that in battery saving mode, some laptops would distribute too little energy to the sounds card, which in turn led to crackling sounds. 

It would explain why the issue does not occur when playing video games. But I do not want to have my laptop in constant high performance mode: then the fans produce a lot of noise. 

If this indeed is the issue, is there a way to distribute more (enough) energy to the sound card, without putting the laptop in a high performance mode? How is this achieved, via BIOS settings of via power management software?

Does anybody have the same issue with this model? Does anybody have a solution? 

Thanks a lot!

Koen

Hello,

I found something on google: https://appuals.com/audio-crackling-windows-10/

Try solution number 4

Good luck!

maltasoron
Fanfold Paper
Views: 225
Message 3 of 7

Thanks for your reply!

Unfortunately this does not seem to be a viable solution: de Registry-location (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Realtek\RAVCpI64\Powermgnt) does not exist on my laptop. So I cannot change those values.

Dan_Petrescu
Token Ring
Views: 222
Message 4 of 7

@maltasoron wrote:

Thanks for your reply!

Unfortunately this does not seem to be a viable solution: de Registry-location (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Realtek\RAVCpI64\Powermgnt) does not exist on my laptop. So I cannot change those values.

You can also have a look here: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Gaming-Laptops/Legion-Y530-sound-issues-fix/td-p/4377733

Highlighted
Chijmer
Paper Tape
Views: 134
Message 5 of 7

I just received my y540 and I have the exact same problem. Crackling goes away when I launch games like Starcraft 2.

maltasoron
Fanfold Paper
Views: 121
Message 6 of 7

Thanks, i've altered the registry-paths. The problem is not solved yet though Smiley Sad
Chijmer
Paper Tape
Views: 78
Message 7 of 7

another scenario where my laptop stops crackling is when I plug out the power cable and let it run on battery mode. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors