Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zyzzyva
Punch Card
Views: 970
Message 51 of 245

Re: Lenovo Y540 crackling sound

According to another thread this problem exists even in the newer Y545 model, some speculate that WiFi card is place too close to soundcard so it picks up interference, but from my test, turning off Wi-Fi and Bluetooth doesn't help. I think Lenovo should at least compensate us by giving free external USB soundcard. This is definitely defective in laptop design or manufacture or both.

Steef076
Punch Card
Views: 921
Message 52 of 245

I have an Y540 (15IRH) and have been using it for about a week now without any crackling sound. I have tried with both wifi on and off and sound playing and not. So it isn't necessarily a manufacturing/design flaw.

Edit: also tried plugged in/not plugged in, and battery/performance mode: no crackling.

dissapointed111
Paper Tape
Views: 894
Message 53 of 245

I have the same issue with my Y540. I contacted Lenovo about it, and a technician came and replaced the entire motherboard. This did not fix the issue. If Lenovo cannot resolve this problem or accept a return, I will be proceeding with a credit card chargeback. It is absolutely ridiculous that this problem is so widespread, and Lenovo cannot fix it. I didn't spend $1400 to get a laptop that doesn't even have proper working audio.

I tried new Realtek drivers, removing realtek drivers, enabling airplane mode; nothing helped. I haven't noticed the issue yet when the laptop is unplugged, but this could just be because I have had it plugged in 95% of the time. Only "fix" i have found is to not use the soundcard. So an external usb soundcard, or using audio over HDMI works, since in these cases a different sound card is being used than the one built into the motherboard.

Fougassino
What's DOS?
Views: 840
Message 54 of 245

I just received my new Y540 and I've got the same crackling sound when I'm using the headphone jack. I realised that the noise only occured when the wifi is enabled. This is really annoying because you either need to use a cable for internet or plug an external sound card. I really hope it can be fixed. 

donotmention
SCSI Port
Views: 824
Message 55 of 245

I have issue too, but cracking sound happens only when no sound playing in headphones. As soon as any sound, music, voice starts playing the sound goes away even at low volume of 4-6

maltasoron
Punch Card
Views: 819
Message 56 of 245

Replacing the motheboard was the last solution the service center could think of to fix my laptop.

So reading your expierence, and replacing the motherboard did not work, leaves me speechless and frankly quite desperate.

More and more I am convinced that it is some kind of design flaw from the start.

This is unacceptable for a laptop of this price. Working audio is one of the most basic functions of a laptop.

zyzzyva
Punch Card
Views: 761
Message 57 of 245

There are several driver updates (including audio) on August 21

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/th/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/legion-series/legion-y540-15irh/dow...

I'm sad to report that the problem is still not fixed, but I'm not sure if the problem occur less often or not.

PS. also don't forget to reg edit battery saving mode that cause audio delay in every driver update https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Gaming-Laptops/Legion-Y530-sound-issues-fix/td-p/4377733

Myszczyson
Paper Tape
Views: 718
Message 58 of 245

I actually found something interesting. I got my replacment for the faulty unit with the craclikng sound. New one had the same problem only on new drivers. After reseting sound drivers to factory settings it was okay. But here is the weird thing. The moment I tried installing Dolby Atmos or Realtec Audio Control it was crackling all over again. Try uninstalling those and go back to factory sound drivers it might help. Good luck!

EDIT: Also I did not install NVIDIA Sound drivers that comes when you choose express instalation.

zyzzyva
Punch Card
Views: 672
Message 59 of 245

What is the version of factory audio driver?

Myszczyson
Paper Tape
Views: 648
Message 60 of 245

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors