Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Gaming – Lenovo LegionGaming Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

7 Posts

01-26-2021

Australia

7 Signins

45 Page Views

• Views: 45
  • Message 1 of 5

Lenovo Y540 slight rattling/buzzing/hum

2021-02-17, 5:09 AM

This is slightly worrying to me.

I'm not sure if its a symptom of a larger problem or the power supply components are poorly put together and are slowly destroying my laptop

It only seems to be audible when I'm gaming. I put my ear to the laptop and I can hear a kinda buzzing, rattling hum, around over where the laptop battery is. However, I'm not sure whether its a power supply problem as I can also hear it from the fan area and whatnot, not sure what to do.

I'd like to avoid having to send my laptop to Lenovo as uni is starting very soon, and I can't spare not having a laptop of a week upwards. What should I do?

Options

2162 Posts

03-11-2020

Greece

235 Signins

11071 Page Views

• Views: 11071
  • Message 2 of 5

Re:Lenovo Y540 slight rattling/buzzing/hum

2021-02-17, 12:41 PM

Hi CalmAsura,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

A buzzing or hum sound when putting your ear to the machine are normal sounds to hear from a electrical device.  If there's just some buzzing and humming, there should be nothing to be concerned about, this is quite normal from large batteries and electrical devices like this. Especially if they are so subtle that you have to put your ear to the machine to hear it.

A rattling sound however, is probably not so good. Could be something that is loose. 

I'd suggest contacting Lenovo support for your country directly (mail, e-ticket, phone) to see what can be done. Most likely it will have to be sent in to be assessed by an authorized technician.

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Private Message; questions belong in the forums.

Options

7 Posts

01-26-2021

Australia

7 Signins

45 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2021-02-18, 13:08 PM

Hmm that's interesting if some humming or buzzing is normal...

But it kind of ranges between the intensity, it goes between barely audible (have to press my ear against laptop and listen good) to kind of audible,

where I can hear it slightly without leaning in close

What would an abnormal rattle sound like? My suspicions is that it could be coil whine

I opened up the laptop, and had a good look, took off the heatsink - nothing's lose.

Options

7 Posts

01-26-2021

Australia

7 Signins

45 Page Views

• Message 4 of 5

2021-02-18, 13:10 PM

Furthermore, I've removed the HDD that was in there before, to eliminate factors that could be causing the noise - no dice - it wasn't the cause

The sound seems to be originating around the right fan area, battery area - but again, no components are loose. This is puzzling

Options

2162 Posts

03-11-2020

Greece

235 Signins

11071 Page Views

• Views: 11071
  • Message 5 of 5

2021-02-19, 11:30 AM

"A "hum" or "whine" is relatively normal, and likely an innocent by-product of the transformer using electromagnetic plates to convert current. This is a vibration noise which occurs when electric current flows through a transformer or a winding wire inside a component part.  A "crackle" or "sparking" noise is potentially a sign of a failing transformer, and a potential fire hazard."

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Private Message; questions belong in the forums.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms