cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Prince_AKR
Serial Port
Views: 411
Message 1 of 6

Lenovo Y700 (15 Inch) HDD to SSD Windows 10 Migration?

So I'll be getting my Y700 soon! Can't wait! The model I got has a 5400RPM 1TB HDD, so I intend to buy an M.2 SSD in a few weeks in order to get better performance out of the OS.

Now, here's the issue. Since I'll be getting the laptop well before I get the SSD, will I be able to go ahead and start 'setting up camp' on the HDD, and then simply move the OS to the SSD later? Since the SSD is SIGNIFICANTLY smaller than the hard drive, I'm wondering if it would be possible to transfer JUST  Windows 10. I don't want to have to wait to start truly using the laptop just because I wasn't able to order the SSD along with it. 

Thanks for reading! 

monchomark
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 382
Message 2 of 6

Re: Lenovo Y700 (15 Inch) HDD to SSD Windows 10 Migration?

No point, just start over with the new ssd. You'll get a better and cleaner experience starting from scratch.

Prince_AKR
Serial Port
Views: 373
Message 3 of 6

What makes you say that? I thought migrating the OS was fairly simple since there's software that can do it.

monchomark
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 369
Message 4 of 6

personal experience, youll be better off starting from scratch instead of wrestling to manually integrate another HD image... these machines install everything in a glimpse, i strongly reccomend installing lenovo drivers in an empty OS.

Prince_AKR
Serial Port
Views: 355
Message 5 of 6

I guess I should take your word for it, then! Alright, so when I get the new SSD, how exactly can I go about reinstalling the OS? Should I do it via Windows 10's 'system refresh' feature, or should I make an entirely new USB boot image?
monchomark
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 349
Message 6 of 6

don't take my word, try it for your self

yep, boot image is the way to go imo

good luck!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors