UK

14 Signins

71 Page Views

• Views: 71
  • Message 1 of 4

Lenovo Y700-15ISK (Another) SSD M.2 Upgrade Question

2016-02-10, 12:48 PM

Hi guys,

Wondering if someone can give me a couple of quick answers regarding upgrading my new Y700, I've seen there are a ton of threads on this question and I've spend a couple of hours reading through the hundreds of posts and couldn't find definitive answers.

I got the model with 1 x internal SSD (256gb) and I'm wanting to add a large secondary SSD which will become the primary boot drive, I haven't opened my laptop yet as I got two of these laptops delivered faulty! So until I get written confirmation from Lenovo that my warranty won't be invalidated I'm a bit wary of opening the case to look for myself.

1) On the 'Intel Rapid Storage Technology' program it lists 4 x internal ports, 1,2, and 3 are showing as 'empty' and the 4th port has the current SSD installed. I've seen a couple of screenshots of what my board should look like and to me I could only see 1 x SATA port which hosts the current SSD, did Lenovo not put any more physical SATA ports on the board? It's hard to tell from screenshots but is there even space for another conventional SSD drive? Looks like the only way there would be space is if the drives were stacked vertically?

2) I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to the new M.2 standard but from what I've read this laptop uses an 'M' socket. Would a 'B+M' socket type drive still work on this laptop or would it need to be 'M' type only?

3) On Crucial's website it only shows 2 x M.2 type SSD's which are both single-sided, I'm guessing that the larger drives at around 1TB are double sided? Does anyone know if this laptop can only accommodate single sided M.2 SSD's or will they physically not fit?

4) What type of SSD should I be buying? NVMe or AHCI? Will this laptop support both and would there even be a noticable difference in speed?

Sorry for the large amount of questions, some of the posts I've read have put doubts in my mind as I've seen some people saying they bought drives that weren't detected by the laptop.

Cheers

Matt

Options

1 Posts

02-17-2016

LA, CA

4 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: Lenovo Y700-15ISK (Another) SSD M.2 Upgrade Question

2016-02-17, 20:12 PM

Bump to this thread as I'm in a similar boat.

I have the 17ISK model with 1 x 512gb SSD installed, and am looking to add a second SSD. I've been reading the long thread here ( https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/Lenovo-ideapad-Y700-15ACZ-M-2-SSD-Upgrade/m-p/2216931#M135485 ) where people have been discussing it, though most people who have upgraded it seem to have bought models with the HDD, and have either 1) replaced the HDD or 2) added an SSD. Have not seen anyone else with the single SSD model to add a second SSD.

Options

7 Posts

03-08-2016

Denmark

10 Signins

78 Page Views

• Views: 78
  • Message 3 of 4

2016-03-09, 8:49 AM
I have a similar question. I have a Y700 with a single 512 SSD. Does its motherboard support me adding a new one? I assume Lenovo does not have a single motherboard for all these versions.
Options

7 Posts

03-08-2016

Denmark

10 Signins

78 Page Views

• Views: 78
  • Message 4 of 4

2016-03-20, 9:36 AM

I found out it doesnt and I cant buy the pieces in Europe.

Moderator note: post edited to conform with Community Guidelines

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete