Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Zabi1994
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 5,176
Message 1 of 9

Lenovo Y700-15ISK BIOS CDCN37WW Update

Hello there. I have a few questions regarding the recent release of BIOS update with version number CDCN37WW.

Currently my BIOS is on version CDCN35WW. I was about to install it yesterday but did not because of several reasons. I read the instruction saying that I should put the BIOS settings at its default settings before installing the CDCN37WW update and there lies my problem.

I bought the 15ISK version with 1TB HDD. A month ago I bought a 128GB SSD and did a clean install of Windows 10 on my new SSD. After booting into Windows 10 on my SSD in Legacy Mode, I format the partition in the 1TB HDD which houses my default installation of Windows 10 (the pre-installed Windows 10 by Lenovo). I did not completely wipe the HDD altogether and thus I still have the partitions created by Lenovo.

The main issue that is stopping me from installing the update is my BIOS settiings. In BIOS boot submenu, I have it set to Legacy and then Legacy First so that it detects my SSD. UEFI does not detect my SSD. Default settings sets UEFI instead of Legacy.

In conclusion, I cannot install the BIOS update even if I wanted to because I won't be able to boot into Windows 10 on my SSD once I change BIOS settings to default because UEFI (default settings is set to UEFI) does not detect my SSD.

My questions are: -

1. Does anyone have any solution or workaround to this problem ?

2. Is it really compulsory to set the BIOS settings back default ? Or is it just a "just to be safe" thing ?

If anyone do have any experince in upgrading BIOS, kindly chime in. Any help will be much appreciated.

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 5,133
Message 2 of 9

Re: Lenovo Y700-15ISK BIOS CDCN37WW Update

@Zabi1994 wrote:

The main issue that is stopping me from installing the update is my BIOS settiings. In BIOS boot submenu, I have it set to Legacy and then Legacy First so that it detects my SSD. UEFI does not detect my SSD. Default settings sets UEFI instead of Legacy.

In conclusion, I cannot install the BIOS update even if I wanted to because I won't be able to boot into Windows 10 on my SSD once I change BIOS settings to default because UEFI (default settings is set to UEFI) does not detect my SSD.

2. Is it really compulsory to set the BIOS settings back default ? Or is it just a "just to be safe" thing ?

I updated the BIOS in an Ideapad 700-15ISK earlier this week (not the same BIOS as your Y700).  I too normally have "Legacy Boot" and "Legacy First" enabled, but I forget to reset the BIOS to default.  The BIOS Update Utility installed in Windows OK, but when I invoked the utility to update the BIOS, it terminated with a completely mystifying error message (something about "String out of range").  I reset the BIOS to default and re-invoked the utility, and the BIOS then updated without further problem.  I also reset the BIOS to default AFTER the BIOS update, just to make sure that everything was set properly.  Then I re-implemented my BIOS changes.

Does your SSD have the old-style MBR (master boot record) partition table, or the newer GPT (guid partition table)?  I think that a GPT is mandatory for UEFI boot.  If your SSD is MBR, that might be why your BIOS does not allow you to choose the SSD as the boot device when UEFI boot is enabled.  It is possible to convert an MBR disk to GPT without having to re-install Windows, but you need some software to do it.  I recently used "Bootit Bare Metal" to convert the other way, but Bootit is not freeware.

The other possibility is to install the BIOS Update Utility as normal, but without updating the BIOS (there is a check mark on the "Finish" panel; deselect it before clicking "Finish").  Then reset your BIOS to default.  Then boot the Windows Recovery USB drive, start a command window, navigate to the folder where the BIOS Update Utility is stored, and invoke it ("install.bat").  The risk here is that the recovery environment does not contain all of the Windows services that the BIOS Update Utility needs in order to run.  If true, it would probably fail to start, but there is a small possibility that it would fail part-way through updating the BIOS, and leave your system totally unusable.  Hmm, risky.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Zabi1994
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 5,126
Message 3 of 9

@CyberSimian wrote:

@Zabi1994 wrote:

I updated the BIOS in an Ideapad 700-15ISK earlier this week (not the same BIOS as your Y700).  I too normally have "Legacy Boot" and "Legacy First" enabled, but I forget to reset the BIOS to default.  The BIOS Update Utility installed in Windows OK, but when I invoked the utility to update the BIOS, it terminated with a completely mystifying error message (something about "String out of range").  I reset the BIOS to default and re-invoked the utility, and the BIOS then updated without further problem.  I also reset the BIOS to default AFTER the BIOS update, just to make sure that everything was set properly.  Then I re-implemented my BIOS changes.

Does your SSD have the old-style MBR (master boot record) partition table, or the newer GPT (guid partition table)?  I think that a GPT is mandatory for UEFI boot.  If your SSD is MBR, that might be why your BIOS does not allow you to choose the SSD as the boot device when UEFI boot is enabled.  It is possible to convert an MBR disk to GPT without having to re-install Windows, but you need some software to do it.  I recently used "Bootit Bare Metal" to convert the other way, but Bootit is not freeware.

The other possibility is to install the BIOS Update Utility as normal, but without updating the BIOS (there is a check mark on the "Finish" panel; deselect it before clicking "Finish").  Then reset your BIOS to default.  Then boot the Windows Recovery USB drive, start a command window, navigate to the folder where the BIOS Update Utility is stored, and invoke it ("install.bat").  The risk here is that the recovery environment does not contain all of the Windows services that the BIOS Update Utility needs in order to run.  If true, it would probably fail to start, but there is a small possibility that it would fail part-way through updating the BIOS, and leave your system totally unusable.  Hmm, risky.

I see. I assume your HDD/SSD is in GPT format, is it ? Mine is in MBR format.

After reading on how you updated your BIOS, I feel like trying to find a way to convert my SSD from MBR to GPT first before updating the BIOS, maybe have a look at the software you mentioned. I'll probably make sure that my SSD can boot in UEFI Mode first and only then update the BIOS. Sounds like the safest way of doing it without encountering much problem.

Thanks a lot for the reply, gave me a great insight to solve this problem.

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 5,109
Message 4 of 9

Zabi1994 wrote:

I see. I assume your HDD/SSD is in GPT format, is it ? Mine is in MBR format.

After reading on how you updated your BIOS, I feel like trying to find a way to convert my SSD from MBR to GPT first before updating the BIOS, maybe have a look at the software you mentioned. I'll probably make sure that my SSD can boot in UEFI Mode first and only then update the BIOS. Sounds like the safest way of doing it without encountering much problem.

Thanks a lot for the reply, gave me a great insight to solve this problem.

The variant of the Ideapad 700-15ISK that I purchased has a 128GB SSD and 1TB HDD as standard, and both are set up as GPT, with UEFI boot enabled; Windows was pre-installed on the SSD.  I have changed the BIOS to "Legacy Boot" and "Legacy First", but that works fine with the GPT disks.

One possible problem for the future is what your Windows Recovery USB drive would do.  I had a browse around mine, and I noticed that there is a setup script for DISKPART.EXE.  If you perform a complete reset,

the script deletes all of the partitions, sets the partition mode to GPT, creates the various partitions, and then installs Windows.  But your Recovery USB drive was expecting to do that on the HDD.  If you performed recovery with your new disk arrangement, would Windows install to the SSD, or would it overwrite the current contents of your HDD?  I don't know the answer to that, but you might want to consider using a separate method of backing up and restoring your Windows drive (i.e. a method that does not involve using the Windows Recovery USB drive).

Zabi1994
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 5,102
Message 5 of 9

CyberSimian wrote:

The variant of the Ideapad 700-15ISK that I purchased has a 128GB SSD and 1TB HDD as standard, and both are set up as GPT, with UEFI boot enabled; Windows was pre-installed on the SSD.  I have changed the BIOS to "Legacy Boot" and "Legacy First", but that works fine with the GPT disks.

One possible problem for the future is what your Windows Recovery USB drive would do.  I had a browse around mine, and I noticed that there is a setup script for DISKPART.EXE.  If you perform a complete reset,

the script deletes all of the partitions, sets the partition mode to GPT, creates the various partitions, and then installs Windows.  But your Recovery USB drive was expecting to do that on the HDD.  If you performed recovery with your new disk arrangement, would Windows install to the SSD, or would it overwrite the current contents of your HDD?  I don't know the answer to that, but you might want to consider using a separate method of backing up and restoring your Windows drive (i.e. a method that does not involve using the Windows Recovery USB drive).

I see. I have a feeling Windows will actually install on HDD as DISKPART.EXE and everything related to OEM partition created by Lenovo was by default came with the HDD. Guess I'll have to hold on from updating my BIOS for the mean time. Have a lot of work to do and can't risk bricking my Y700-15ISK.

There is this one method though albeit very tedious. I can actually run recovery, have my laptop reset to factory settings just the way I bought it (BIOS with default UEFI settings, Windows installed on HDD), upgrade the BIOS and later on clean install Windows on my SSD. A hassle but I see some benefits to it though. Having the latest BIOS as well as the opportunity to properly configure and install Windows 10 on my SSD in GPT format. That way I can boot my SSD in UEFI mode. I read somewhere that SSD runs better in UEFI compared to Legacy. Plus I'll never have to face this problem again should Lenovo release another BIOS update down the line as BIOS settings will always be in its default state.

This method in theory, is viable right ?

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 5,059
Message 6 of 9

Zabi1994 wrote:  Guess I'll have to hold on from updating my BIOS for the mean time. Have a lot of work to do and can't risk bricking my Y700-15ISK.

Getting the setup that you want might take several days (if you have to re-install Windows multiple times!), so it is definitely a good idea to postpone these changes until you have the time.  Also, before you start, BACKUP your essential files to an external USB disk and then unplug it!

I have not been in your situation, so I cannot speak from experience.  But if it were me, I would probably do something along the lines of the following:

(1) BACKUP my essential files.

(2) Reset the BIOS to default.

(3) Remove the SSD.

(4) Re-install Windows completely from the Recovery USB drive onto the HDD; this will delete all partitions on the HDD.

(5) Check that Windows boots and operates correctly.

(6) Install the new BIOS.

(7) Re-install the SSD.

(8) In "Computer Management", delete all partitions on the SSD.

(9) Right-click the square box to the left of the free space.  There should be a selection that says "Convert to GPT disk"; left-click that.

(10) When conversion is complete, shutdown Windows.

(11) Enter the BIOS and check that the SSD is now available as a bootable device using UEFI boot.

(12) Re-order the bootable devices so that the SSD is first. 

(13) Install Windows on the SSD.  This might require some experimentation to get a working system.  It might just be possible to use the Recovery USB drive if you disconnect the HDD.   Otherwise, an OS installation image downloaded from Microsoft should work (but it won't have the preloaded Lenovo apps).

I hope that this all works out OK.

Zabi1994
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 5,054
Message 7 of 9

CyberSimian wrote:

Getting the setup that you want might take several days (if you have to re-install Windows multiple times!), so it is definitely a good idea to postpone these changes until you have the time.  Also, before you start, BACKUP your essential files to an external USB disk and then unplug it!

I have not been in your situation, so I cannot speak from experience.  But if it were me, I would probably do something along the lines of the following:

(1) BACKUP my essential files.

(2) Reset the BIOS to default.

(3) Remove the SSD.

(4) Re-install Windows completely from the Recovery USB drive onto the HDD; this will delete all partitions on the HDD.

(5) Check that Windows boots and operates correctly.

(6) Install the new BIOS.

(7) Re-install the SSD.

(8) In "Computer Management", delete all partitions on the SSD.

(9) Right-click the square box to the left of the free space.  There should be a selection that says "Convert to GPT disk"; left-click that.

(10) When conversion is complete, shutdown Windows.

(11) Enter the BIOS and check that the SSD is now available as a bootable device using UEFI boot.

(12) Re-order the bootable devices so that the SSD is first. 

(13) Install Windows on the SSD.  This might require some experimentation to get a working system.  It might just be possible to use the Recovery USB drive if you disconnect the HDD.   Otherwise, an OS installation image downloaded from Microsoft should work (but it won't have the preloaded Lenovo apps).

I hope that this all works out OK.

I'm sure the method you suggest will work perfectly fine though I'll have to wait till I really do have some free time to setup my laptop again. That's a lot of steps right there. Not to mention needing to open up the bottom cover probably twice which can be a pain.

That being said, thanks a lot for the feedback and suggestions. Very much appreciated.

Matrix2016
Paper Tape
Views: 3,297
Message 8 of 9

Re: Lenovo Y700-15ISK BIOS

Hi.i'm currently using Lenovo ideapad y700 i5isk and i wanted to update my bios but im not sure which one is the latest one: CDCN35WW or CDCN53WW.both are about the same size(5.5mb).

Zabi1994
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,290
Message 9 of 9

Re: Lenovo Y700-15ISK BIOS

CDCN53WW should be the latest one.. I suggest you read about the latest BIOS update first in other threads because I remember reading some users are having problems with it.. So much so that some of them even want to revert back to an older version.. I am still on CDCN35WW as I haven't had the time to update yet due to my configuration.. So I can't speak from experience regarding the latest BIOS update..

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors