Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frize
Paper Tape
Views: 15,385
Message 1 of 13

Lenovo Y700-15ISK NVMe support

Hi,

Today I was looking into Samsung 960 EVO SSD to upgrade my Lenovo, however, I found out that NVMe is not supported, so the mentioned SSD is not compatible.

From what I've searched this is due to the BIOS that does not support NVMe. Is this correct?

Are there any plans on supporting it? It would be a really nice upgrade.

Thank you for your time

JeffKnight
Fanfold Paper
Views: 15,358
Message 2 of 13

Re: Lenovo Y700-15ISK NVMe support

Frize
Paper Tape
Views: 15,349
Message 3 of 13

Hm, thank you. From what I've seen in that link, the SSD works even though the BIOS doesn't support NVMe, is that correct? I will simply not get the expected performance, but since the 850 and 960 have a similar price I would rather buy a 960.

Frize
Paper Tape
Views: 15,275
Message 4 of 13

Can someone help me please? I have contacted Lenovo support and they say it's not supported, but on that link there are people saying it's compatible

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 15,264
Message 5 of 13

@Frize wrote:

Can someone help me please? I have contacted Lenovo support and they say it's not supported, but on that link there are people saying it's compatible

I believe that the situation is this:

(1) The Y700-15ISK has an M.2 socket that supports NVMe.

(2) Not all models of NVMe SSD work (the BIOS may contain a "white list").

(3) The "Hardware Maintenance Manual" (HMM) lists those models of NVMe SSD that Lenovo has tested with this laptop and which they guarantee will work.  The HMM can be downloaded from this web site.

(4) Newer BIOS versions may have added support for additional NVMe SSD models, but the HMM won't have been updated to specify them.

(5) There seems to be some BIOS limitation that results in the NVMe SSD not being able to perform at its maximum speed; it is fast, but not megafast.

The recommendation is to purchase a model of NVMe SSD that others have reported works with their Y700-15ISK, otherwise it is "trial and error" (if the one that you purchase does not work, return it to the vendor and try a different model; note: some vendors do not accept returns, and other vendors charge a restocking fee).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Hyperfish
802.11n
Views: 15,249
Message 6 of 13

CyberSimian's post is a good summary. There are three separate issues here:

1. Some people have reported some NVMe SSDs not working for them, although in general they should. Either try to confirm that the same model worked for someone else before, or buy from a shop with a generous returns policy.

2. To make an NVMe SSD work at highest possible speed you need to switch the hidden BIOS setting but if you don't, it will still work, just not as fast.

3. Faster SSDs can overheat as the Y700 was not designed to handle higher temperatures from an SSD but in practice I don't think anyone ever complained about this happening, so the possibility of this being a problem is largely theoretical.

Note that all of this applies to the Intel (-ISK) version only as the AMD (-ACZ) models do not support NVMe.

Frize
Paper Tape
Views: 15,179
Message 7 of 13

Thank you for your answers, they were really helpful. I saw people reporting the 960 Evo was working so I decided to take a shot and I got one. I haven't changed the BIOS, the disk is not reaching 3200MB/s reading but 1700MB/s is more than good. It is working really nice, I have two OS, Windows 10 and Manjaro and everything is working great.

Pertsh
Blue Screen Again
Views: 15,122
Message 8 of 13

HI. are you have a video of steps ? i cant understand what i should do from instructions of geektech;
Frize
Paper Tape
Views: 15,105
Message 9 of 13

Hi. 

Are you talking about changing the BIOS? I haven't done that, it works fine without it, I just can't reach the same read speeds (I get 1700MB/s vs the 3200MB/s I should get). 

Hyperfish
802.11n
Views: 15,093
Message 10 of 13

Sometime ago I wrote step-by-step instructions how to find out the value to change. Maybe this will help. Here's the link: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Gaming-Laptops/Y720-is-the-M-2-port-speed-capped/m-p/3695247#M7157

The last step, not covered in the post linked above is to change the variable by running H2OUVE -sv.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors