IN

3 Signins

46 Page Views

• Views: 46
  • Message 1 of 4

Lenovo Y700 - 15ISK RAM & SSD Upgrade

2018-12-22, 2:48 AM

I have this laptop from July 2016,
It runs good but recently I am facing that is little slow.
Softwares like Camtasia & Photoshop doesnt run smoothly.

I would like to upgrade its RAM & install SSD if it is possible.

Currently it has 8GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, 128GB SSD.

I want to make it 16GB RAM & add 256 GB of SSD. I was thinking to install the Camtasia & Photoshop on SSD for faster operations, but the stock SSD is already full. 
 Looking for advice from people who have upgraded this machine.

Best Regards

Options

815 Posts

01-04-2018

US

479 Signins

5686 Page Views

• Views: 5686
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: Lenovo Y700 - 15ISK RAM & SSD Upgrade

2018-12-22, 17:54 PM
The RAM you have is already good, but more never hurts. I use Camtasia on my HDD on the Y720, it still runs fast and smooth. Your hard drive might be filling up?

If you want to upgrade, it's not difficult on this machine, simply open it up and install the new components. However, you only have 1 slot for an SSD, so you'll have to pull out your current one which likely contains Windows.. It's not exactly an ideal scenario, I'd suggest perhaps switching out your HDD for an SSD if your looking for a simplistic upgrade.

BTW, make sure that Photoshop and Camtasia open up with your GTX series graphics card and not your default Intel one by righting clicking -> open with graphics processor -> then pick the graphics card.

When programs start to run slow, it's because there's junk, malware, etc., keeping the computer from processing efficiently. Upgrading isn't bad, but it may not help you if the problem wasn't with the components to begin with (since you said they did run smoothly before). I'd suggest cleaning out your system (CCleaner), freeing space up in your hard drive, etc..

Good luck.
Options

2 Posts

12-22-2018

IN

3 Signins

46 Page Views

• Views: 46
  • Message 3 of 4

2018-12-24, 9:22 AM

Hey,

Thanks for taking time to reply.
My HDD has 800GB free space and ssd have about 20gigs. I believe I would not need a SSD upgrade but RAM upgrade is needed. While using the Camtasia I also happen to have Chrome up  & running in the background with 20-30tabs. Chrome is a RAM sucker. 

I am not sure if I was using the Softwares using Graphic card, but I will set them up on default now.

Regards

Options

815 Posts

01-04-2018

US

479 Signins

5686 Page Views

• Views: 5686
  • Message 4 of 4

2018-12-25, 3:35 AM
Yes, having chrome with 20-30 tabs open would definitely take a lot of ram to keep running in the background. You can go to the settings and make it so chrome remembers the tabs you have open even once you close it. Then, when you open chrome again, it'll open up with the tabs that were there when it closed.

However, I think you should try running those programs without chrome and other programs running just to make sure if that actually makes the difference.

If you're gonna install more RAM, you should check out videos (Like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WsfeuWI7mU ). Good luck!
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save