Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Antamb
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,286
Message 1 of 26

Lenovo Y700-15ISK crash problem

Hello everyone, I have purchased this laptop about 2 weeks ago and I have experienced quite a serious problem:

Sometimes my pc freezes showing me the last frame of what I was doing and I am unable to do anything; at the same time I hear a concering and strong buzzing sound coming out the speakers and the only thing I can do is forcing a shut-down through the power button.

this sound kinda looks like it's coming from the HDD but I am not sure at all about this.

Anyone can help me? I've just bought it and I dont really want to go ask for a refund already.

All drivers are updated, windows 10 is also updated to the latest version, the only thing left is the BIOS but I'm reluctant on doing that unless it's necessary.

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,214
Message 2 of 26

Re: Lenovo Y700-15ISK crash problem

I am with you on being reluctant to update your BIOS, and there is nothing in the readme.txt files for the BIOS updates that relate to what you are seeing.  

More details on what you are doing at the time of the crash might be helpful in getting some help in this forum, such as are you using an external monitor etc.    

I would start by running a hardware scan using the Lenovo Solution Center which will check the condition of the system and hard drive.    

I would also look at the Windows Event Viewer log (Right-click on Start, select Event Viewer and then under Windows Logs, view the System and Application logs for errors at or around the time the system crashes. 

From what you describe, I probably suspect the graphics driver(s) on your system, so you might want to test the latest drivers from Intel and Nvidia over those from Lenovo which generally lag behind, especially with the Windows 10 Creators update installed.    

To install the latest driver from Intel, which I believe uses this driver (version 22.20.16.4729 dated 7/16/2017), you will need to download the .zip version, and manually install the driver following these instructions to bypass the OEM check.   

The latest Nvidia drivers can be found at https://www.geforce.com/drivers

Good Luck,

Guru
Views: 1,186
Message 3 of 26

It sounds like the graphics driver is crashing.

Can you please check in Administrative Tools > Event Viewer if there are any System or Application related critical errors?

Uninstall NVIDIA drivers, use DDU and install clean graphics drivers from Lenovo website.

If that does not work,

then try resetting the laptop to factory settings.

If that does not work, then this is a motherboard issue and needs to be returned/replaced/repaired by Lenovo.

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
Antamb
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,146
Message 4 of 26

UPDATE

this problem kept showing up every now and then BUT it occurs ONLY when I am playing a videogame (League of Legends)- the only one I have played on this pc actually - my graphics settings are on "automatic choice", I was playing using the battery but it happened while on charge, too.

I checked the logs as you suggested but it shows nothing unfortunately.

Lenovo Solution Center Hardware Scan shows 0 errors as well.

my NVIDIA drivers are updated using GeForce Experience and I've always done a clean installation (which I suppose uninstalls the older driver before the new installation). About intel graphics instead, I installed that very driver and seemed to be working fine on the pc but as soon as it restarted from stand-by the screen was all grey and RGB pixels.. so I went back to the original

I was using SpeedFan to monitor temperatures but it crashed before I could swap windows to check them out, however, after the forced restart (a bit slower due to the crash I suppose) the pc went back working perfectly fine.

is this a driver problem? overheating? a damaged psu? a damaged motherboard?

the buzzing sound is still clear and concerning, I read online the crash could be caused by audio devices in conflict, if that's it, how do I solve?

Guru
Views: 1,113
Message 5 of 26

Have you tried resetting the laptop to factory settings and testing after that?

Thanks.

If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
Antamb
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,108
Message 6 of 26

I actually did, but it's still the same.

Is there a way to test both the graphic cards and then their drivers as well to find out if it's an hardware or software related problem?

also, could it be an overheating issue?

Guru
Views: 1,104
Message 7 of 26

It could be overheating, the only way to know is to use a software like MSI afterburner and check the temps.

You can also log the results to a file and can choose what to log and where to save on the options.

Switch on the on screen display for each field you want to see and that would help you see the temp while playing the game.

If the GPU is going more than 95C and CPU as well, then that is dangerous.

Sadly, you cannot test a GPU if it's faulty. You can install an old version on GPU drivers to see if they work, but a factory reset should have fixed software issues (unless you Upgraded drivers before testing again).

Antamb
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,101
Message 8 of 26

so overheating could be the cause of this buzzing sound when it happens?

Guru
Views: 1,099
Message 9 of 26

Not really, the buzzing is just the crash. When drivers crash,  all apps are stuck and usually the same frame is displayed with buzzing sound.

In my experience, if this happens once in a few months then that is ok. But if it starts happening regularly like every other day, then the hardware is failing (could be overheating but it is definitely failing).

Antamb
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,097
Message 10 of 26

what can I do to test the hardware of the pc then? RAM, CPU, PSU? (Apart from Lenovo Solution Center, which has showed 0 errors all the 3 times I've scanned the pc)

EDIT: important detail, last time it crashed I realized I could turn on and off my keyboard illumination using the Fn button, does it change anything? I think it could exclude the total crash of the system and zone it on a more local issue, like, again, the graphic cards (intel or nvidia)

Also, couldn't it be audio devices conflict?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors