Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mantaselk
Paper Tape
Views: 2,800
Message 1 of 9

Lenovo Y700-15ISK slow performance

Hello, everyone,

So I just bought a new Lenovo Y700-15ISK and it feels so slow, considering that it's (I think) higher-mid range performance laptop and it should be smooth and snappy. Boot is very slow, I think slower than my old laptop, which was low range laptop. What could be the problem?

Windows updates are up to date.

I have all latest drivers installed.

Windows 10 Education x64

Intel Core i5-6300HQ​ 

Nvidia GeForce GTX 960M 4GB
1TB HDD

4GB RAM

I guess RAM are the problem? And HDD? Is it poor quality, slow HDD or something?

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,772
Message 2 of 9

Re: Lenovo Y700-15ISK slow performance

Well if your system is running Windows 10 on only 4GB of system RAM, then that would explain it being a bit slow, in fact I did not even realize you could order that system with only 4GB of system RAM.    

I believe that the HD is only  a 5400rpm model, so while it may not be a super fast drive, but I don't think that is your main problem.

I would certailnly certainly look add an additional 4GB of RAM to your system at a minimum. 

Best of luck,

Hyperfish
802.11n
Views: 2,731
Message 3 of 9

You need an SSD.

At least 8GB of memory would also help but the difference it could make is very slight compared to an SSD.

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,724
Message 4 of 9

SSDs are nice, but they are not just plug & play like RAM, and take some work to get configured properly if one is not experienced in the ways of cloning drives.

No offense intended, but am I missing something with the boot logo thing... I mean is that really important?

mantaselk
Paper Tape
Views: 2,721
Message 5 of 9

What type of Ssd is compatible with this model? I want M.2 so should I get sata or pcie?

Hyperfish
802.11n
Views: 2,708
Message 6 of 9

@mantaselk

Either SATA or NVMe will work. For maximum speeds get NVMe but to unlock its full potential you'll have to change a hidden BIOS setting as described here: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Gaming-Laptops/Lenovo-Y700-15ISK-High-Performance-NVMe-SSD-capped-at-PC...

Note that some people reported issues with NVMe SSDs, even recently: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Gaming-Laptops/Lenovo-y700-15ISK-sleep-issues-with-SM951-M-2-NVMe-SSD/m...

I'd say which one to get depends on what's available to you at what price but even a SATA SSD will be an enormous improvement over the HDD. SSDs also work best (in terms of lifespan as well) when they're at least 50% empty, so there are a couple of factors to consider.

If you go for an NVMe SSD it'd be best to get it from a shop that allows you to return it in case it's incompatible.

mantaselk
Paper Tape
Views: 2,696
Message 7 of 9

Thanks, are you sure both will work? I don't want to risk it...

Hyperfish
802.11n
Views: 2,677
Message 8 of 9

Personally I use a certain SATA SSD I bought long time ago and haven't tried any other ones myself. According to reports here and in other places, NVMe seems to work for most people but every now and someone says it didn't. If you don't want to take any risks, SATA is the safer choice.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,668
Message 9 of 9

an ssd will help to speed up boot.  If you are gaming and performance is slow, more memory will help

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors