01-05-2019

Denmark

17 Signins

79 Page Views

• Views: 79
  • Message 1 of 20

Lenovo Y700 15ISK start up issue

2019-01-05, 19:15 PM

Hello. So my laptop started freezing unexpectedly while I was editing some footage in Sony Vegas, and I decided to wait for it to go away or see if Vegas would shut down but the freeze persisted. I turned off my laptop using the power button and waited for the laptop to start up but it wouldn't go past the loading screen for several minutes. After multiple attempts of powering off/on the laptop, the problem remained. And if I was able to actually bypass the loading screen and enter my password, my laptop would freeze immediately without me doing anything.

Though, after trying to access the troubleshoot menu, my laptop finally attempted a system repair that ultimately didn't work. But I was able to access some troubleshoot options, such as System Recovery or the startup options so I could enter safe mode. Neither of these options worked, I managed to go back to a previous point but nothing happened. And now, try as I might with my restarts, I will always run into a system repair so I ultimately can't go past the loading screen yet again. 

I tried to reset my PC and keep my files and discovered after a couple of minutes that it couldn't do that because it had run into an error. I'm entertaining the idea of just resetting the laptop entirely (I have a portable harddisk with most of my files) but I'd rather know I have no options left before I attempt it. 

Right now, I'm attempting another PC reset (while keeping files) just for lack of anything better to do. Most tutorials/solutions suggest I should do a trick that involves removing my batter but my laptop has an internal battery that, uh, I'm sure I shouldn't be touching? If anyone has any clue how I should go about solving this issue, please let me know. This is the first time this issue has occurred and I purchased this laptop in June 2017. Updates happened perhaps a week ago or a bit before that? It wasn't recent in any case.

My laptop has Windows 10, 256GB SSD, i5-6300 HQ processor and a 2GB dedicated graphics card. Thank you!

Solved! See the solution
Options

635 Posts

12-30-2017

Poland

1422 Signins

16179 Page Views

• Views: 16179
  • Message 2 of 20

Re: Lenovo Y700 15ISK start up issue

2019-01-05, 20:32 PM

Seems like something got corrupted. At this point I would backup all data from the system, as there might be something, which you haven't backup already. Download Hiren's BootCD PE and create a bootable USB flash drive (Rufus do it for you). In meantime, download ZIP version of CrystalDiskInfo, unpack and copy to USB drive. When USB drive will be ready, connect it to laptop's USB port and boot it. Once Windows PE will load, you'll have an access to SSD, so you could backup the data to external disk. After you copy the data, please run CrystalDiskInfo and check if there aren't any hardware issues with your SSD. If there won't be any hardware issues, then it would be best to reinstall OS, as current istallation may corrupted beyond repearing... Please go to Lenovo Recovery Download website and check, if your device is eligible to download a single copy of recovery image for free. If yes, then create new USB flash media and use it to restore your laptop to factory condition. Please make sure to create a backup of recovery files, as you won't be able to download them again.

------

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

10 Posts

01-05-2019

Denmark

17 Signins

79 Page Views

• Message 3 of 20

2019-01-05, 20:40 PM

Thanks for the suggestion! But how would I be able to download/backup anything when my laptop is stuck in this repair start-up loop? Seems like accessing my user account is pretty unlikely at this point.

PC reset didn't work again but I've been watching some tutorials about some issues that sounds like what I have. Seems like those solutions worked for some, but not me, unfortunately. I'll look into what you've told me and try my hand at it if there are no other options. Thank you!

Options

635 Posts

12-30-2017

Poland

1422 Signins

16179 Page Views

• Message 4 of 20

2019-01-05, 21:30 PM

wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion! But how would I be able to download/backup anything when my laptop is stuck in this repair start-up loop? Seems like accessing my user account is pretty unlikely at this point.

You boot Windows PE from USB flash disk, so you don't need a working Windows installation on laptop. Regarding access to data, everything is stored in C:\Users\Your_user_name directory (drive letter may be different), so you don't need to login anywhere, when you access it from different OS.

wrote:
PC reset didn't work again but I've been watching some tutorials about some issues that sounds like what I have. Seems like those solutions worked for some, but not me, unfortunately. I'll look into what you've told me and try my hand at it if there are no other options. Thank you!

Please read my post again. Your filesystem is corrupted, so these tutorials won't work. You have to reinstall your OS. The easiest way will be to download recovery image, make USB flash drive and use it to deploy OS again on your laptop.

------
Options

10 Posts

01-05-2019

Denmark

17 Signins

79 Page Views

• Message 5 of 20

2019-01-06, 9:04 AM

Okay, so I created a bootable usb with the links you gave me. I wasn't able to find my flash drive when I went to look for it in the usb option for iOS files and whatnot but I stumbled upon one called USB HDD that brought me to a Windows installation (so I think that was my flash drive?) 

I couldn't choose the option where I would update my windows and keep my files which is alright. I'm attempting to reinstall Windows and I'm now facing a slightly confusing dilemma. It can be seen in the image attached.

Should I update the Windows drive, now that the option is here? Or just choose it and continue onwards? What is the 'load driver' option for?

Options

635 Posts

12-30-2017

Poland

1422 Signins

16179 Page Views

• Message 6 of 20

2019-01-06, 10:07 AM

You haven't followed my instructions at all, as this is a "generic" Windows 10 installer, to which I didn't provided you a link. If you want do backup your data, download Hiren's, boot it as you did with Windows installer and backup your data. If you don't like Hiren's, you can download Ubuntu or any other Linux live distro and use it to backup data.

Now, by looking at your partition layout, I see that you have a Recovery partition intact, so any of these installers aren't necessary. Just power off your laptop and press Novo button. From Novo Button Menu, select System Recovery and press Enter. Then follow instructions on screen.

------
Options

635 Posts

12-30-2017

Poland

1422 Signins

16179 Page Views

• Message 7 of 20

2019-01-06, 10:13 AM

You haven't followed my instructions at all, as this is a "generic" Windows 10 installer, to which I didn't provided you a link. If you want to backup your data, download Hiren's, boot it as you did with Windows installer and backup your data. If you don't like Hiren's, you can download Ubuntu or any other Linux live distro and use it to backup data.

Now, by looking at your partition layout, I see that you have a Recovery partition intact, so any of these installers aren't necessary. Just power off your laptop and press Novo button. From Novo Button Menu, select System Recovery and press Enter. Then follow instructions on screen.

If you have a problem locating Novo button, check user manual.

------
Options

10 Posts

01-05-2019

Denmark

17 Signins

79 Page Views

• Message 8 of 20

2019-01-06, 10:33 AM

I wanted to use the same method as you described, however, I simply cannot find it in the usb list. Even when I use the novo button to try to boot my usb, it's just not there. 

How will Hiren's BOOTCD even help me access my data? I know I've asked this before but it seems like all it does it help me make a bootable flash drive from which I can install Windows 10 on my computer. 

Options

635 Posts

12-30-2017

Poland

1422 Signins

16179 Page Views

• Message 9 of 20

2019-01-06, 11:08 AM

I see. Seems like Secure Boot is blocking these devices from booting. Please go to BIOS and change two settings:

• Security > Secure Boot > Disabled.
  • Boot > Boot Mode > Legacy Support.

Also make sure that USB boot is enabled. Once you finish, please save changes. Now you should be able to boot from USB flash drive.

------
Options

10 Posts

01-05-2019

Denmark

17 Signins

79 Page Views

• Message 10 of 20

2019-01-06, 12:43 PM

I've followed your instructions and changed the settings in the BOOT menu. I formatted my flash drive using the command prompt of another computer and copied iso files to my flash drive with Hiren's (my flash drive was having some format issues so i assumed this would suffice) 

I went to check if the changes you instructed would help recognize my usb, but it seems like that's not happening right now. I've included a picture so you can see for yourself.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms