Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sly9
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 628
Message 1 of 6

Lenovo Y700 - Apps close in sleep mode

So I just bought and received a Lenovo Y700 15ISK - model 80NV. Everything works great, but I've noticed that when the laptop enters sleep mode, whether on its own or not, when I turn it back on, it goes through the start up process and any application I had open prior will be closed. 

I did some digging around and came across this. I followed what it said and installed the audio driver and BIOS v35 (and subsequently, v52) but I'm still having the same problem. Any ideas on a solution? Thank you in advance!

I think it might also be worth mentioning that beforehand, whenever I put the computer in sleep mode, it wouldn't resume and wake up until I had installed v35, so part of my problem's been fixed.

nucleon
Punch Card
Views: 581
Message 2 of 6

Re: Lenovo Y700 - Apps close in sleep mode

Are you sure that it's sleep mode?

Go to your power settings and verify that your plan (when closing the lid) or (pressing the power button) enters sleep mode. It's a good way to verify that you're actually in sleep mode and not hibernation mode which is NOT the same as sleep mode and would cause your programs to 'turn off' as you stated.

Sly9
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 577
Message 3 of 6

Yeah, the power settings were one of the first things I looked at. As far as I can tell, everything's all on sleep mode. I don't have hibernate set for any of them. Smiley Sad

nucleon
Punch Card
Views: 533
Message 4 of 6

If the BIOS and driver didn't resolve it then I can't imagine support telling you to try anything else. You'll most likely RMA it and them send it backing saying it works fine so if it's a huge problem and you just bought it; take it back for a new one. 

Hope they can help you

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 517
Message 5 of 6

@nucleon wrote:

hibernation mode which is NOT the same as sleep mode and would cause your programs to 'turn off' as you stated.

Sorry, but I must disagree with this.  Hibernation does not close the applications which are open.  I use hibernation all of the time, and it never closes my open applications.

To the original poster: 

Be aware that sleep mode still consumes power (albeit less than leaving the laptop switched on).  Nevertheless, if your laptop stayed in sleep mode for a number of hours, it would run the battery completely flat.  So the power plan has the ability to stop this happening.  It should say something like this:

(1) Sleep after 15 minutes of inactivity.

(2) Hibernate after 30 minutes of inactivity.

Hibernating after 30 minutes of inactivity means that the system will hibernate 15 minutes after it entered sleep mode, but once hibernation is started, the battery should last for weeks before becoming flat.

If your system has "shutdown" instead of "hibernate" for action (2), that would explain the result that you are seeing.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Sly9
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 507
Message 6 of 6

Hi CyberSimian,

I don't have "shut down" (or hibernate) set for any of the actions in my power settings. Unless I'm missing something, I don't think that's the case. Smiley Sad 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors