08-30-2017 07:49 AM
So I recently bought a new Bluetooth headset (Bluedio T3) to replace my old Bluedio T2s which broke a few weeks ago. The headset itself is fine, but I've been having some issues with it on my Lenovo Y700 running Windows 10.
The audio will sometimes cut out for a second every few minutes. It's a 'blink if you miss it' kind of issue, but I've noticed it. This isnt my biggest problem however. That would be the fact that if I connect another Bluetooth device, the headset would lose the connection as if I were a great distance away from the laptop. For instance, when I tried connecting my Xbox One controller, that's when the headset started this weird behaviour. After disconnecting the controller, the headset would act as normal.
I tested everything out with a different Bluetooth speaker and it doesn't have the same issues as the headset. Is there anyway I can possibly troubleshoot this? I'm really not sure if it's the laptop or the headset where the main issue lies. I tried upgrading the Bluetooth driver, which did need to be updated, but nothing changed.
Solved! Go to Solution.
08-30-2017 08:46 PM
I'd first try streaming music from another device, such as your phone: if the issues persist, the new headset is the likely culprit.
Second, it might be some interference with the Wi-Fi, as they both operate in the 2.4GHz band. Try temporarily switching off Wi-Fi and see if this resolves the problem. If it does, you can then try using 5GHz Wi-Fi or changing the channel in the access point settings.
Might also be worth it to try all of the above away from home, as it could be another Bluetooth device also present at a particular location that is interfering.
Also, try switching to "Maximum Performance" in the Wi-Fi adapter advanced settings in Device Manager, and the "High Performance" power plan to ensure this is not due to some battery saver kicking in.
When you streamed the music and the cut out happened, were you also using the laptop, or was it otherwise idle? The latter might point to this being a power management issue.
08-30-2017 08:55 PM
I have tried using the headset with my phone and it works just fine. I also turned my the Wi-Fi radio on my laptop, but the problem continued to persist.
I wasn't able to find that setting you mentioned: Wi-Fi "Maximum Performance". Where exactly in the Device Manager is it located?
The issue is not a power management issue; this laptop ahs a GTX 960M and Intel Core i7—it can handle something as simple as distributing a Bluetooth signal. Again, I've tried replciating the issue with my Bluetooth speaker to no avail, it only seems to be the headset giving me trouble. And again, it's only when I also have my Xbox One controller connected at the same time.
08-30-2017 09:36 PM
What I mean by "power management issue" is that the laptop might be trying to save the battery life by powering off the Wi-Fi/Bluetooth module or limiting its bandwidth, particularly when it detects it's idle (i.e. neither the keyboard or the touchpad are being used). To be sure it's not that, you could try the following:
1. Make sure the laptop is plugged in to AC power.
2. Control Panel (Win-X, P) → Power options → Select: High performance and then: Change plan settings → Change advanced power settings → Wireless Adapter Settings → Power Savings Mode: Maximum Performance.
3. Device Manager (Win-X, M) → Bluetooth → Intel Wireless Bluetooth → Power Management → Uncheck: Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power and do the same for Network adapters → Intel Dual Band Wireless (Bluetooth and Wi-Fi are a single module). Once there, in the Advanced tab, choose Transmit Power: 5. Highest.
(In my previous post I was writing from memory and conflated the two settings. )
But since you noticed it only happens with the Xbox controller, then this likely isn't the reason.
I'd also try to disable the headset but keep the Xbox controller paired and try to play the same music through the laptop speakers, to make sure it's not something else altogether. Even better if you could get both the headset and the controller paired to another laptop running the same version of Windows and see if the same happens there as well.
08-30-2017 09:58 PM
Good news, it looks like your tip worked! The laptop is plugged in so I didn't have to worry about that. The settings in Power Options were also already set to "Maximum Performance".
What seemed to work was the checkbox in the Device Manager that says " Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".
Thanks a lot, man! There are still some minor cuts here and there, but it's not a big deal, it's a lot smoother than before.
08-31-2017 12:01 AM - edited 08-31-2017 12:02 AM
Glad to hear that! I hope it's solved permanently.
I was also about to post about these two utilities that could give some cues as to what is going on. I'll leave it for the benefit of future readers:
(Run as Administrator, Ctrl-K to enable capturing kernel events, and Capture → Enable verbose kernel output.)
Before running the second one, add the following Registry entry and restart:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Debug Print Filter] "DEFAULT"=dword:0000000f
(Remove entry or set to 0 when no longer needed. Details here.)
08-31-2017 08:42 AM
After shutting my computer down for the night and firing it bacck up again, the problem came up. (Sigh). Oh well, thanks for your help anyway. I'll try and look for other solutions.