Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
unrealcow
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,422
Message 1 of 12

Lenovo Y700 - Cloning hard drive to new SSD

I've just bought a Samsung 960 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD.  I would like to make it the boot drive on my Lenovo Y700 laptop, and keep the original rotational for additional storage.  When I bought the laptop, the 1TB HDD was pre-partitioned into a ~800GB C: drive, and a 128GB D: drive.  I've never used the D: drive, and it only contains 546MB of data, including folders titled Boot, EFI, and OneKey and some loose files titled bootmgr and bootmgr.efi.  I assume that the computer doesn't actually boot from the D: drive, despite it containing these files and folders.

Here's my question: when I use Samsung's Data Migration software to copy my data to the new drive, will I need to copy both partitions to the SSD or will the C: be sufficient?  Keep in mind that I'll still be keeping the rotational drive.

Thanks!

Lexuss
802.11n
Views: 8,380
Message 2 of 12

Re: Lenovo Y700 - Cloning hard drive to new SSD

Use Paragon.Very best program to migrate from one drive to other.

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 8,372
Message 3 of 12

@unrealcow wrote:

when I use Samsung's Data Migration software to copy my data to the new drive, will I need to copy both partitions to the SSD or will the C: be sufficient?

I am fairly sure that you have more than 2 partitions.  My 700-15ISK had 7 partitions -- 4 Microsoft partitions, and 3 Lenovo partitions, but only 2 of the partitions had drive letters allocated ("C:" and "D:").  If you go to Windows "Disk Management", you should be able to see all of these partitions.

You can try copying only some of the partitions, and you might be lucky and find that you have not broken anything.  But a safer procedure would be to re-install Windows on the SSD (don't try to clone the HDD to the SSD).  Be advised that something as simple as installing Windows on the SSD isn't simple (read a few relevant threads on this web site to see what problems people encounter).

If you want a simple  way of installing Windows on the SSD, take your laptop to a computer repair shop and pay them to install Windows for you.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

unrealcow
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,367
Message 4 of 12

You're right, it looks like I have five partitions total (see attached image).

So the smart move would be to do a clean install of Windows on my SSD, set the SSD as the boot drive in the BIOS, and move files over from the rotational drive as needed?

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 8,344
Message 5 of 12

@unrealcow wrote:

it looks like I have five partitions total (see attached image).   So the smart move would be to do a clean install of Windows on my SSD, set the SSD as the boot drive in the BIOS, and move files over from the rotational drive as needed?

I suspect that there is a 6th partition -- the "Microsoft Reserved" partition, but it is tiny (only 16MB on my system).  Windows probably omits it from the "Disk Management" panel (you would need to use an independent partition viewer in order to see it).

You have 2 recovery partitions.  The 1GB partition is Windows Recovery; the 16.8GB is Lenovo Recovery.  The latter is used with the Lenovo "One Key Recovery" facility.  Be advised that "One Key Recovery" no longer works if you install on another disk, or if you change the size of any of the partitions on the existing disk.  Re-installing Windows won't recreate "Lenovo Recovery", so no great loss there.

I suggest that you read the following thread, where another user is going through the same process of installing an SSD in a system that previously had only an HDD.  I think that your Y700 does not have the AHCI/RST problem, but the other points are relevant:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Gaming-Laptops/Lenovo-Legion-Y520-upgrade-SSD-problem/td-p/3810866

unrealcow
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,291
Message 6 of 12

Still no luck.

I was able to start the Windows installation from my flash drive and (apparently) successfully completed the install on my SSD.  However, upon restart I get the following blue screen message:

---------------------------

Recovery

Your PC/Device needs to be repaired

The application or operating system couldn’t be loaded because a required file is missing or contains errors.

File: \Windows\system32\winload.efi
Error code 0xc000000e

You’ll need to use recovery tools. If you don’t have any installation media (like a disc or USB device), contact your PC administrator or PC/Device manufacturer.

-------------------------------------------

I found a video explaining the steps for correcting this error, but I am still getting it.  I have performed a secure erase on the SSD from Samsung's Magician program, I have reformatted the SSD from Disk Management, and my list of boot options on start up grows each time I attempt to reinstall, but Only the original Windows install on my HDD works.

I have a ticket open with Samsung support, but they only reply once every two or three days, and I've now spent two weeks trying to set up this hard drive.

I've been lost in a sea of articles, forum posts, and videos providing conflicting advice on how to setup this hard drive, and none of them giving advice for my exact situation.  I can't tell if my SSD is faulty, or if I'm following the wrong instructions, or if I'm just the stupidest person to have ever earned a bachelor's degree in Computer Engineering.

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 8,274
Message 7 of 12

@unrealcow wrote:

I was able to start the Windows installation from my flash drive and (apparently) successfully completed the install on my SSD.  However, upon restart I get the following blue screen message...

Re-installing Windows ought to be a trivial operation... but it isn't.  In the thread that I referenced above, the original poster was able eventually to install Windows successfully, but he did the following (I think):

(1) Disconnected the HDD, so that his system contained only the SSD during installation.

(2) Downloaded a Windows 10 install image from Microsoft and used that to install.  He did not use the Lenovo install image.  This means that he would have to download and install the Lenovo versions of various drivers, plus the Lenovo applications.

If you decide to go this route, remember to enter "BIOS Setup" and change the device boot order so that the SSD is first, otherwise when you reconnect the HDD, the system will try to boot from the HDD again.

Also, if you install from a Microsoft image, the USB memory stick may be listed twice on the "BIOS Boot Menu" -- one for a UEFI install, and one for an MBR install.  You need to pick the correct one.  If you pick UEFI, the SSD must have a GPT, otherwise the install will fail.  If you pick MBR, the SSD must have an MBR, otherwise the install will fail.  If you want UEFI and the SSD has an MBR, you will need to open a command window and use the DISKPART command to delete the existing partitions on the SSD and then convert it to GPT.  Review the help for the DISKPART command to see what commands you need to use.

unrealcow
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,259
Message 8 of 12

The Windows install on my flash drive was downloaded directly from Microsoft.

The BIOS/UEFI is part of what is getting me confused in this whole process.  The hard drives don't show up individually in the boot order.  On the main UEFI info screen, two hard drives are shown, one being specified as the SSD (see top image of uefi_and_boot_select.JPG, attached).  In the boot menu (middle image), I have three options: Windows Boot Manager, EFI USB Device (my flash drive), and EFI PXE Network.  I can change which device the computer boots from by hitting F10 during start up.  To do the install, I selected the flash drive from that menu.  If I select Windows Boot Manager, it prompts me to choose an operating system (bottom image).  It defaults to the OS on Volume 8, which I believe is the SSD.  This selection brings me to the Recovery screen I referenced in my previous post.  The OS on Volume 3 is the version from my HDD, and that one boots fine.  The two remaining OSes appear to be my previous attempts to install Windows on the SSD, even though I performed a secure erase on the drive before each attempt to install.

The flash drive does not show options for UEFI and MBR, but I can confirm that the SSD is GPT - I had to change it with DISKPART after my first attempt to install failed.

The only thing I have not yet attempted is disconnecting the HDD, mainly because the screws that hold the bottom plate on my laptop get noticeably more stripped every time I remove or replace them, but I suppose that is my next logical step.  Although if the SSD is claiming to need repairs, I'm not sure why removing the HDD will make a difference.

Thanks for sticking with me through this slog, CyberSimian.  You've been more helpful than Samsung, and I really appreciate that.

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 8,235
Message 9 of 12

@unrealcow wrote:

On the main UEFI info screen, two hard drives are shown, one being specified as the SSD (see top image of uefi_and_boot_select.JPG, attached). 

In the boot menu (middle image), I have three options: Windows Boot Manager, EFI USB Device (my flash drive), and EFI PXE Network.

In the "BIOS Setup", the "Information" tab shows that the BIOS is recognising the SSD.  So far, so good.

The "Boot" tab is puzzling -- I am surprised that the HDD and SSD are not listed.  The "Boot Mode" is shown as "UEFI".  I suggest changing this to "Legacy Support".  You may find that a new setting called "Boot Priority" then appears (it does on my 700-15ISK).  If so, change that to "Legacy First".  Save these changes and exit the BIOS.

Re-enter "BIOS Setup" and see if the "Boot" tab now shows the SSD and HDD.  If it does, re-order the devices so that the SSD occurs before the HDD.  Save these changes and exit the BIOS.

With the system powered off, press the "Novo" button, and on the "Novo Button Menu", select "Boot Menu".  Hopefully this boot menu should now show the SSD, the HDD, your "Kingston Data Traveller" (probably listed twice), plus other choices.  Select the Kingston Data Traveller as the boot device.  For a UEFI install, select the one that has "EFI" in the name; for a legacy install, select the one that DOES NOT have "EFI" in the name.

One possible complication -- I think that when you install a second version of Windows on a system, the installer notices the first version of Windows, and adds the second version of Windows to the boot files in the first version of Windows (so you don't really have two independent installations of Windows).  This is what allows the "Windows Boot Manager" to provide you with the choice of which version of Windows to boot.  This may be the cause of the multiple Windows versions that the installer thinks exist on your disks (originating from the previous failed installations).

I am reluctant to suggest the following, but you may need to delete all of the partitions on both the SSD and the HDD, in order to eliminate the confusion about how many versions of Windows there are, and where they reside.  Disconnecting the HDD would remove the existing Windows installation(s) without actually having to delete them (so you could re-enable them simply by reconnecting the HDD, if the SSD installation still fails). Alternatively, image your HDD to an external USB HDD disk before deleting the partitions, so that you can restore your existing HDD installation if necessary.  I would once again delete all partitions on the SSD and set it to GPT or MBR (as you want).

Finally, recent Lenovo laptops have a AHCI/RST setting in the BIOS, and this can prevent successful installation.  My 700-15ISK does not have this setting, and I was under the impression that neither does the Y700.  But check all tabs in the BIOS carefully to see if your Y700 does in fact have this setting.  If it does, set it to "AHCI" before starting the installation

unrealcow
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,574
Message 10 of 12

@CyberSimian wrote:

The "Boot" tab is puzzling -- I am surprised that the HDD and SSD are not listed.  The "Boot Mode" is shown as "UEFI".  I suggest changing this to "Legacy Support".  You may find that a new setting called "Boot Priority" then appears (it does on my 700-15ISK).  If so, change that to "Legacy First".  Save these changes and exit the BIOS.

Re-enter "BIOS Setup" and see if the "Boot" tab now shows the SSD and HDD.  If it does, re-order the devices so that the SSD occurs before the HDD.  Save these changes and exit the BIOS.

Apparently this is all I needed to do.  Once I changed to these settings and exited the BIOS, the laptop booted up on the SSD and instantly went through the Windows set up.  It's running off of the SSD as the C: drive with my original drive showing up as the D: and E: partitions.  

Do you know if there is an easy way to restore the OS settings I was using on the HDD over to the SSD, or will I need to manually reset everything?  My desktop background is the same one I've been using, but my task bar is back to its default settings.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors