Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 688
Message 11 of 12

Re: Lenovo Y700 - Cloning hard drive to new SSD

@unrealcow wrote:

Once I changed to these settings and exited the BIOS, the laptop booted up on the SSD and instantly went through the Windows set up.  It's running off of the SSD as the C: drive with my original drive showing up as the D: and E: partitions.

Excellent!  One caution: it is possible that booting starts on the HDD and then immediately transfers to the SSD.  If this is the case, you won't be able to delete all of the partitions on the HDD.  A way to check for this is to... disconnect the HDD and see if the installation on the SSD still boots.  If it does, you can delete all partitions on the HDD and then repartition as you want.  On the other hand, if the "Windows Boot Manager" appears when you reboot the system, that might  indicate that the HDD is still being used, but it is difficult to be sure. 

@unrealcow wrote:

Do you know if there is an easy way to restore the OS settings I was using on the HDD over to the SSD,

I have never used a "settings/data migration" tool, so cannot recommend anything.  But there seem to be various articles on the internet dealing with this topic (although they may be more oriented towards migrating from older versions of Windows).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

rackasaur
Paper Tape
Views: 64
Message 12 of 12

Re: Lenovo Y700 - Cloning hard drive to new SSD

After reading this I'm frightened. I'm afraid of the mess I'll create trying to clone my m.2 to another m.2. Has anyone tried this? My current m.2 (128GB is out of space and I'd like to upgrade it but not at the expense of a running system.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors