Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NAdam1993
Paper Tape
Views: 798
Message 1 of 6

Lenovo Y700 RAM issues?

Hi everyone!

I'm having a few problems which seem serious to me.

My laptop (Lenovo Y700 15-ACZ) sometimes restarts randomly without any warning, usually when Youtube, Adobe Reader and Microsoft Word are open, at least that is what I've observed. I'm running Windows 8.1 64 bit. I did some tests through the Lenovo Solution Center, all tests came back OK, except the following:

-the Memory test gets stuck on the first element, the "Quick random pattern test"

-the Graphics test gets stuck on the first one as well, the "Video memory" part

The bar wouldn't fill, but I can hear the laptop working and it slowly starts to heat up.

Another, miscellaneous problem is an "Unknown device" in the Device Manager, "The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)", "on Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Embedded Controller".

What could be the problem? Could it be a faulty RAM?

tripplec
Bit Torrent
Views: 770
Message 2 of 6

Re: Lenovo Y700 RAM issues?

Try running memory diagnostics from the Windows boot CD/DVD usually in the advance area. This will eliminate your installed configuration.

Otherwise a bootable memory diagnostic utility but the Windows one is already available. If in doubt google how to run it.

If you still get the error you could repeat with only one memory module at a time to see if one is at fault only. Be very cautious going into the machine as damage to the motherboard etc can occur. Your machine maybe under warranty. If it is. Then Call/Contact Lenovo Tech Support in your area. Leave it to them to fix it!!!

T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QMbr>; Nvidia NVS 4200M Win 10 64bit
Z70-80 I7 - 5500U 16GB GB - 1TB HD Win 10 64bit FHD 17.3", G840 w/2GB

NAdam1993
Paper Tape
Views: 747
Message 3 of 6

I've already done the windows RAM checking, not the bootable one, but the one requiring a restart. It detected no problems! I will try taking out one of the RAM modules, in the meantime, further suggestions would be appreciated!

Hyperfish
802.11n
Views: 721
Message 4 of 6

Go to Control Panel  System  Advanced system settings  Advanced tab Settings... under Startup and Recovery  → Uncheck Automatically restart.

Next time Windows crashes you will see an error message. Chances are it will also tell you the name of the driver that caused it. For the crashes that already happened, you might be able to get this information from the Event Viewer in Computer Management (Win-X, G).

The unknown device could be due to the missing Lenovo Power Management driver. Try to install it manually from here: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/LAPTOPS-AND-NETBOOKS/IDEAPAD-Y-SERIES-LAPTOPS/Y700-15ISK...

madrabbit88
Punch Card
Views: 715
Message 5 of 6

We can talk in private message in Hungarian, if you want.

But you should check your laptop with memtest. 

http://www.memtest.org/

If you got any error about this test your memory module is bad.

NAdam1993
Paper Tape
Views: 682
Message 6 of 6

SITUATION UPDATE:

I've checked the laptop with Malwarebytes and it found 3 "potentially unwanted" objects in the RAM. After quarantining them, the Solution Center tests ran without an issue. I've also swapped the two RAM modules, just in case.

However, there was a random restart sometime afterwards, so the crash problem seems to persist.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors