Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lifestudent
What's DOS?
Views: 11,476
Message 21 of 165

Re: Lenovo Y700 SSD and Memory upgrade

I have their 14 inch model and it's using the DDR4 slot only. It will not take DDR3.

Ianmeister
What's DOS?
Views: 11,457
Message 22 of 165

Re: Lenovo Y700 SSD and Memory upgrade

Hi,

Ementec
Fanfold Paper
Views: 11,428
Message 23 of 165

Betreff: Lenovo Y700 SSD and Memory upgrade

I have the new Y700-15ACZ with FX-8800P and R9-M385X.

About M.2 SSD upgrade:

I tried out the Samsung SM951 512 GB AHCI Version which has M-Key connector like the mainboard (see picture). The SSD is able to do PCIe 3.0 (northbridge) and PCIe 2.0 (southbridge). But the SSD was not recognized.

That means the Y700-15ACZ has no PCIe Lanes connected to its M.2 port! So be careful. You can only use SATA SSD models there. Those have normally Key M+B coding. Lenovo soldered wrong M.2 port to the mainboard (maybe to save money as it uses the same on Intel versions which support PCIe). Correct is only Key M+B port (shame Lenovo engineers).

After searching around I think the best SSD you can put in here is the Samsung EVO 850 512 GB. It seems to be the fastest, has best lifetime, good price, good tools and comes with 5 years warranty. You can also choose smaller versions of that but write performance will be much slower than.

About RAM upgrade:

The Y700-15ACZ has only 2 DDR3 SO-Dimm ports, not DDR4 (DDR4 is only for Intel models, another Lenovo mistake). The ram that comes with from factory is 2 x 4 GB DDR3L 1600 DualChannel but only SingleRank. That is bad as the APU gets an extra from DualRank without waitstates til 1600 MHz.

The actual BIOS seems not to configure faster speeds than 1600 right now whereas the FX-8800P should be able to do 2 x 8 GB in DualChannel + DualRank up to 1866 MHz or 1 x 8 GB DualRank up to 2133 MHz.

I tried out a pair of Corsair 2 x 4 GB 1866 MHz DualChannel + DualRank modules. The voltage was not set to 1.5 V which lead to a problem with Windows 10 login screen. Could only use safemode. There tools were showing me it was slowed down to 1600 MHz.

So if you want do a RAM upgrade, check that your rams can do 1600 MHz at 1.35 V (DDR3L mode) even if the are faster and that they are DualRank'd to get out maximum performance.

I will try the newer and faster Corsair 2 x 8 GB 2133 MHz DualChannel + DualRank modules. They should work even if slowdown to 1600 MHz (but with fastest timings). Will tell about results soon I have.

Let's hope that Lenovo will expand the BIOS to support the faster speeds 1866 and 2133 MHz in the near future. Come on guys, the hardware can do it and people want it!

About HDD upgrade:

The Y700 has a 1 TB WD Slim (7 mm) either with 8 GB SSD (Intel models) or without (AMD model). This HDD can be replaced by bigger models such as the 2 TB Samsung / Seagate Spinpoint M9T which has 9.5 mm (up to 12.5 mm might fit, too but not comfortable).

If you want do, pick the HDD from the 2 TB Seagate Backup Plus Slim so you can put in the WD Slim to use it as external HDD after. It is also cheaper than buying the M9T as single.

About Windows 10 upgrade:

If you want use the newer Windows 10 you will recognize there are still drivers missing. For WiFi, Bluetooth and Camera pick those from the Lenovo Yoga 500-14ACL they are the same (shame Lenovo, shame).

About WiFi Bluetooth combo upgrade:

The WiFi Bluetooth combo card is unfortunately a M.2 card. I tried to find a 3 x 3 Model with WiFi a/b/g/n/ac and Bluetooth 4.0 allowing 450 MBits on WiFi n and 1300 MBits on WiFi ac. The Azurewave AW-CB160H would have been perfect but is a Mini-PCIe card so connector is wrong. If someone has an idea, please tell me.

Parkerslake
Paper Tape
Views: 11,393
Message 24 of 165

Ementec

Thanks for the informaiton:  looking at the hardware manual for the Y700, the PCIe is not a supported SSD drive for the ACZ model, however it is for the ISK models, at least on the hardware list.

Has anyone attempted to put the Samsung SM951 (or the Samsung 950 Pro) in the ISK model.

I am interested in adding this; but would like to have a resonable chance of success, since this is a new SSD drive and is more expensive than the 850 model.  I have not been able to find any information on the M.2 SSD slot for the Y700-15ISK model, like does it supprot the x4 or just the x2 communication channels.  Other than the supported SSD drives in the hardware manual.  I could just trust the manual?

cloughnine
Fanfold Paper
Views: 11,361
Message 25 of 165

Parkerslake, I'm in the same predicament. I'd like to add another ssd to my 15ISK touch, but I'm not sure what to get. This looks like an M "key" PCIe, but I'm not sure. Please someone help to identify this.   [IMG]http://i65.tinypic.com/21oq7vq.jpg[/IMG]  Thanks

goterps1337
Fanfold Paper
Views: 11,332
Message 26 of 165

Hey guys, a few weeks ago I purchased and installed this Samsung SSD.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TGIVZTW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

I put a fresh copy of windows 10 on it and everything has been running fine.  Being Cyber Monday, you can also find some good deals on the 2.5 inch SSDs if you feel like completely replacing the 1TB 5400RPM HDD that came stock with my version of laptop (15 inch ISK-Touch).  

liors
Paper Tape
Views: 11,329
Message 27 of 165

If anybody wants to know, I successfully dual booted my lenovo Y700.

So I have Windows 10 and Ubuntu 15.10.

I had some problems with wifi, and nvidia drivers but there is enough help in the web to solve these problems.

luislombriz
Paper Tape
Views: 11,298
Message 28 of 165

Hello everybody!

I am planing on buying the Y700-15ISK Model (80NV006QGE). My first questions seems answered after reding here in the forum: I can expand the RAM, that´s nice. But now my second question: the modell is beeing sold with a 256 GB SSD only. Expanding a HDD with a SSD seems possible if I understood right, but what about the other way around? Could also be possible to install a HDD with the proper size? I just want to be sure.

Cheers!

Ementec
Fanfold Paper
Views: 11,134
Message 29 of 165

The information still contains mistakes. You cannot fully trust.

Be careful:

I don't think NVMe is supported yet for the Intel version. There is nowhere any information about. You might be limited to AHCI models. But no problem. The Samsung SM951 AHCI is almost same fast like its NVMe version or the 950 PRO.

The Samsung 850 EVO is a SATA-3 model (maybe the fastest) but the Samsung SM951 AHCI (also the fastest) will be about 4 times faster due connection via 4 x PCIe 3.0 Lanes. It's up to you what you prefer speed or save some money.

Ementec
Fanfold Paper
Views: 11,131
Message 30 of 165

The 1 TB WD Slim HDD with 8 GB SSD seems to make big problems. You can find many about this in the forum.

If you want add the maximum of 2 TB for low money with an energy saving but faster HDD than th WD Slim without SSD take the Samsung / Seagate Spinpoint M9T (see above). It's one of the best drives so far. I use since almost 2 years in my ASUS EeePC 1215B as main drive and it is very good. Will buy another one for my Y700-15ACZ and make the WD Slim an external one.

Top Kudoed Authors