Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kwikalot
Paper Tape
Views: 7,272
Message 11 of 19

Re: Lenovo Y700 laptop speakers make a popping/cracking noise

Hi everyone,

I've just experienced this problem on my Lenovo Y700-15ISK and I was affraid that I'm the only one with this problem but as I can see, this is quite common.

Unfortunately, updating drivers or reversing them to the old version didn't do the trick for me - the popping/cracking noise is still present. Although, there are some things that I've noticed:

- When completely uninstalling Realtek driver and leaving it with Windows standard audio driver, there is no popping/cracking sound (but the Dolby Digital don't work that way which is a shame)

- When the power adapter is connected to the laptop, the problem with popping/cracking sound doesn't exist at all (curious thing is, when plugging the adapter the speakers cracks really loud for a moment)

- I've seen, that some people on reddit reported, that installing newest drivers directly from Realtek site fixed the problem, but I didn't tested it yet.

Basically it looks like some problem with drivers/power management on the software level.

Does anyone has a bulletproof solution for this? Because from what I've seen, Lenovo thinks that this problem is fixed.

wmj259
Token Ring
Views: 7,270
Message 12 of 19

I also did a reset of windows while keeping personal files choice. Maybe try that? As for a bulletproof, I have no solution.

Y50-70 i7-4720HQ - 16GB Ram - 1TB HDD Win 8.1 - 4GB-860 GTX
Kwikalot
Paper Tape
Views: 7,268
Message 13 of 19

First I guess I will try the newest drivers from Realtek site - if it will not help, then probably a reset like you're suggesting.

I'll report back, how that went.

wmj259
Token Ring
Views: 7,255
Message 14 of 19

This popping happens when the speakers go into power saver mode. You can tell this by if you play a sound to activate the speaker and if you put your ear really closely to the speaker after 3-4 second you will hear it turn off.  Now if you play another sound it will pop. 

Y50-70 i7-4720HQ - 16GB Ram - 1TB HDD Win 8.1 - 4GB-860 GTX
Kwikalot
Paper Tape
Views: 7,216
Message 15 of 19

Ok, I've installed latest drivers from Realtek site and for now (30 minutes of using the laptop on battery) there's no popping or cracking sound - so I think that this can resolve the problem.

devylinn
Punch Card
Views: 7,086
Message 16 of 19

I use the latest driver from realtek site me too, the popping sound still exist but just sometimes.. and i can hear it barely(needs to be very quiet in the room to hear it). I kinda used with this issue.

Auvro
What's DOS?
Views: 6,886
Message 17 of 19

can u please give the download link here? I'm facing the same problem. It's been only 5 days after buying! 

francescoli
Paper Tape
Views: 5,110
Message 18 of 19

Hi, I just bought a Y700 touch 15 ISK Intel Core i7 6700 HQ. I recently noticed the popping/cracking sound only when using the battery and only when I played/changed songs. It had already installed the Realtek High Definition Audio so instead I switched off the Dolby Audio and it worked. Now there is no more popping/cracking sound. However, I'd like to know if I should change or return the whole laptop taking in consideration this problem and that it is supposed to be a premium laptop. Thanks

francescoli
Paper Tape
Views: 5,110
Message 19 of 19

I switched off the dolby audio and the cracking noise stopped. It happened only when using the battery and only when selecting and playing a new song. Should I update or roll back to a previous realteak driver? thank you

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors