Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Crackerz
Paper Tape
Views: 210
Message 1 of 7

Lenovo Y720 Drastic perfomance drop !

Hi I've read everything on these forums to try and fix my case, unfortunnately nothing worked. I have ran benchmarks in the past (because I like to know where my pc is at), recently I've been having trouble playing the simplest games such as Apex legends where I get extremely bad fps around 20-25... I've ran Unigine heaven as well on the following presets : Textures : Ultra , Tessellation : Extreme and Anistropic : x8

I've only reached 10 fps maximum while I see videos on youtube with them reaching 55.6 fps on average. Even a few months ago I had around 50-55 fps on those presets so I wasn't worried. I've checked my cpu perfomance no thermal throttling, not stuck on a low frequency, I used Intel XTU as said on other posts and got a score of 625 marks which I don't know if it is good. Although I did notice that the Processor Graphics Frequency was juggling between 0 and 420 mhz no other numbers though. I tried a factory reset didn't work, still tried to reset the CMOS didn't work, I've tried countless solutions but none of them have fixed my issues. I was wondering if anyone out there had the same problem, or if anyone knew of a miracle fix I would appreciate it immensly. Thank you for your time and patience for reading my post. I appreciate the effort in advance !

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 146
Message 2 of 7

Re: Lenovo Y720 Drastic perfomance drop !

Hi Crackerz,

Welcome to the Community Forums!

Was this working before? Were there any recent changes or updates prior to this? First, let's ensure that all updates are installed. Please run a system update via Lenovo Vantage. Here's a video guide on how to get the latest drivers and BIOS With Lenovo Vantage https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/videos/vid500028. After installing all updates, please restart your laptop.

Let us know how it goes.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Highlighted
Crackerz
Paper Tape
Views: 129
Message 3 of 7

Yes Indeed Maru_Lenovo I did all driver updates I could think of I used lenovo vantage and no updates are available. At this point I'm starting to believe it is a hardware issue and not driver. Does anyone have any other ideas ?

Crackerz
Paper Tape
Views: 118
Message 4 of 7

So after further testing I've redone the unigine heaven benchmark and these are the results I received . Although those results seem completely normal and consistent with other lenovo y720 users my games seem to still run on low fps. Any information on this case specifically ?

Results : 

Unigine Heaven Benchmark 4.0

FPS:
Score:
Min FPS:
Max FPS:

System

Platform:
Windows NT 6.2 (build 9200) 64bit
CPU model:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7300HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz (2495MHz) x4
GPU model:
Intel(R) HD Graphics 630 23.20.16.4973/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 26.21.14.3039 (4095MB) x1

Settings

Render:
Direct3D11
Mode:
1920x1080 8xAA fullscreen
Preset
Custom
Quality
Ultra
Tessellation:
Extreme
Administrator
Administrator
Views: 115
Message 5 of 7

Hello Crackerz!

For a strong gaming experience, you should have your laptop connected to a power outlet. Then open Settings > System > Power and sleep > Additional power settings and select the High performance option. You can also check by clicking Change plan settings > Change advanced power settings.

Other things that can be done:

1. Regularly clean your laptop.
  2. Update your drivers (especially for the GPU).
  3. Overclock the GPU.
  4. Close background apps.
  5. Use cooling pads to prevent overheating that can cause FPS drops.

Hassen_Lenovo

magichotdog
Punch Card
Views: 77
Message 6 of 7

Try using ddu to completely remove graphics driver and reinstall it. Make sure that your games are setup to use the high performance card instead of the intel. Clean out the vents for processor and video card I use a compressed air tank about once every two weeks. My vents get super clogged in certain areas. I also added new thermal pads for underneath the heat pipe and added new thermal compound to drop my temps. My Y720 is super easy to work on and that's one of the things I like about it. Everything is super accessible.; I am not sure how much ram you have but maybe look into that and a ssd. If these are new problems with games you have played I would check into ddu and cleaning out the dust from the vents if anything. I have had this also happen in the past but I had virus scanner that I would have to disable in the past to get some games to run better due to memory hog (Avast ever since they got super bloated). I would maybe install and run malwarebytes and turn off real time protection on whichever virus scanner you are using before trying malwarebytes and seeing if that helps. Just a few things to try and I wish you luck If any of it works let me know or if you need help with anything.

magichotdog
Punch Card
Views: 76
Message 7 of 7

I hate to double post but Is there anything in the task manager that is maxing out cpu/memory while running apex? Just a thought on maybe another way to go with trying to fix this.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors