Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Gaming – Lenovo LegionGaming Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

981 Posts

01-04-2018

United States of America

529 Signins

6741 Page Views

• Views: 6741
  • Message 1 of 9

Lenovo Y720 Laptop SPEAKERS

2018-08-30, 4:44 AM

Alright, I'm not sure where this should go, so if it needs to be moved - apologies.

NOW, to start - this is not a question. BUT - if you have a Lenovo Y720 you NEED to read this, it may affect you or be affecting you.

Great, lets talk about the speakers. I've heard from a user on here named something..guru... who said before that the Y720 doesn't have the bass presence of high quality speakers. He said that the bass was there, but not enough I suppose. Had no idea what he was talking about until this bug reached me - it may be affecting his Y720 as well.

Before getting into the actual problem and its fix, know that I work with audio. When something is wrong, I HEAR IT. Other people are not me and may not notice the change (though honestly you'd have to be deaf not to hear the difference). 

Now, the problem is driver related. It happened when I reset my laptop while "keeping personal files". First thing I noticed was how muffled the speakers sounded after that. IT WAS TERRIBLE. The speakers sounded like cheaper-end poorly bass producing speakers. In fact, however, these laptop speakers are better then a lot of speakers you'll find it many cars! The problem lies in the drivers that were "updated".

Things I tried was FULLY reinstalling windows without the keep personal files stuff. Didn't work.

HOW TO FIX IT. If you have ANY problems with your speakers sounding not as bass present, deafening tin sounding highs, or poor quality bass response (Which all 3 happened as I was trying to fix it!). I ended up messing with 3 things. The TWO drivers for Speaker Audio in device manager and the settings of the speakers when you right click the volume in the taskbar, click sounds, go to the playback tab, and double click the speakers. 

First thing to do, is from the speaker icon you double clicked, go to advanced and make sure it's on 24bit 192000 Studio Quality format. Check on this setting every now and then, it may revert during the processes to follow. Now, setting it to that audio format made my laptop sound so muffled I was saddened. BUT DON'T WORRY, you'll know yourspeakers are working again when they sound great playing at this quality level. 

Second thing, go to device manager and look at Audio Inputs and Outputs. There, you'll see "Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)" (If you don't see it, don't worry, I'll get to that). Also in device manager is "Sound, video and game controllers", where you'll find "Realtek High Definition Audio". If you couldn't find the Speakers driver in Audio inputs, you will probably find that you have two drivers in the sound, video and game controllers tab!

Alright, at this point, I let you go to experiment a bit. You have to constantly update/downgrade/etc.. to get the right combo. I will give you the combo that worked for me though:

Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio) - Driver Version: 10.0.17134.1

Realtek High Definition Audio - Driver version: 6.0.1.8029

MAKE SURE TO RESTART YOUR COMPUTER - EVEN IF YOU IMMEDIATELY HEAR A DIFFERENCE.. I was sucked in this trap of changing the drivers and not restarting. Even though I immediately heard a change, what the audio sounded like after a restart was always different!

AND AGAIN - that specific combination only worked for me and may be different for you.

TRY THIS AFTER YOU'VE TRIED OTHER OPTIONS. All I did was after everything else failed me. 

And now, even if you don't have audio problems, consider doing this, you might get a better audio experience because you didn't realize you had audio problems! Certainly, if the laptop had come sounding the way I heard it when I reset it, how would I have known that it was the driver's fault and the speakers could sound x10 better?

FINALLY - Be careful and do this at your own risk. You may find yourself with drivers that make your laptop sound horrible and not know how to reverse it, so know what you're doing! 

Thanks.

Options

981 Posts

01-04-2018

United States of America

529 Signins

6741 Page Views

• Message 2 of 9

Re: Lenovo Y720 Laptop SPEAKERS

2018-12-20, 6:47 AM

With the new update, the speaker's drivers changed again. Device manager didn't have the series of drivers needed for this - the link here is the realtek driver needed. Use the extract option in the installer. Go into Device Manager, update driver, from computer, have disk, choose the first .inf file in the folder where the extraction was.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=j59nt

EDIT: This one is probably a better driver - I ended up sticking with this one:

https://drivers.softpedia.com/get/NETWORK-CARD/REALTEK/Realtek-High-Definition-Audio-Driver-6-0-1-8029-for-Windows-10-Anniversary-Update-64-bit.shtml

^ That one has many .inf files, choose the first one. 

Overall, whether you hear a difference or not between drivers depends on how well your ears are trained and even then it's all about personal preference. 

Options

2 Posts

03-22-2019

Poland

3 Signins

23 Page Views

• Views: 23
  • Message 3 of 9

2019-03-22, 12:11 PM

Where can I find this driver? "Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio) - Driver Version: 10.0.17134.1"

I managed to download Realtek 6.0.1.8029, but I didn not find any download link for this Realtek Output driver.

Options

981 Posts

01-04-2018

United States of America

529 Signins

6741 Page Views

• Message 4 of 9

2019-03-24, 7:44 AM
That driver was extra information. The driver that really affects your audio is the Realtek one you downloaded. Use the .ini file to install it through device manager and you should be good to go.

FYI, my laptop will randomly every few weeks update my audio driver to the latest version. So you might end up having to rollback the driver every now and then when it happens like I do. The drop in audio quality is very noticeable.
Options

2 Posts

03-22-2019

Poland

3 Signins

23 Page Views

• Views: 23
  • Message 5 of 9

2019-03-27, 19:10 PM
Thank you for answer. Unfortunetly, this Realtek driver you recommend did not help alone. I mean, now the speakers are playing with best best quality so far, other drivers give worse results but it is still nowhere near the level of Lenovo Y700. Now it's playing like a typical laptop with no subwoofer. I have compared it with Legion Y520, and it's almost the same quality.
Options

981 Posts

01-04-2018

United States of America

529 Signins

6741 Page Views

• Message 6 of 9

2019-03-27, 19:26 PM

Yes, unfortunately, I think the previous laptops had different JBL audio speakers/subwoofer. If you use the personalized EQ in Dolby Atmos, you can really bring the bass from the subwoofer more, but it may not have the same kick as the previous laptops. I've also tried using the driver that came with the Y700, but it sounded just like the driver I linked here.

I've attached a profile that works well to give extra bass. You can mess around with that EQ curve until it's best for you. The laptop speakers are still pretty nice, and I've been in cars with worse audio.

Options

33 Posts

03-03-2018

Israel

29 Signins

156 Page Views

• Views: 156
  • Message 7 of 9

Re:Lenovo Y720 Laptop SPEAKERS

2020-05-10, 11:49 AM

Yea you right  , the speakers are not the same ..the preview model ..you can check out the thread here: 

lenovo just kill their super quality speakers for nothing.

companies should not downgrade their components 

Go to https://www.facebook.com/LenovoLegion/posts/2626032217613142?comment_id=2626072904275740
Options

9 Posts

12-02-2017

Pakistan

47 Signins

204 Page Views

• Views: 204
  • Message 8 of 9

2020-08-21, 11:51 AM
My windows is not letting me rollback to an older driver... Any suggestions please? I know my speakers sounded better before.
Options

9 Posts

12-02-2017

Pakistan

47 Signins

204 Page Views

• Views: 204
  • Message 9 of 9

2020-08-21, 12:38 PM
Cancel that, I got it to install, thanks man!
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms