Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jnc0108
What's DOS?
Views: 154
Message 1 of 5

Lenovo Y720 SSD install, TERRIBLE write speeds

Hey guys!

I have a Y720 laptop, i7, 512gb nvme and just installed a Samsung 850 evo pro to the spare ssd slot. Used with official lenovo caddy and cable. My read speeds are around 500gb but my write speeds are like 10mb! Its terrible taking hours to copy a small file.

I have ran samsung magician, updated latest firmware, it shows the drive in good health, trim and boost mode enabled. ACHI is not enabled, but when I go into UEFI settings and enable the laptop wont boot up. Is there some sort of motherboard bottle neck or something I am doing wrong here? I understand ssds have cache buffers etc but surely it shouldnt take hours to copy one small file.

Many Thanks!

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 123
Message 2 of 5

Re: Lenovo Y720 SSD install, TERRIBLE write speeds

@jnc0108 wrote:

AHCI is not enabled, but when I go into UEFI settings and enable it, the laptop won't boot up.

To enable AHCI, you need to modify your Windows installation in order for it to boot in AHCI mode.  The following page describes how to do this:

How to switch from Intel RST to AHCI without re-installing Windows

Note: I don't know whether switching to AHCI mode will improve your SSD speed, but I think that AHCI is the usual recommendation for SSDs.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

jnc0108
What's DOS?
Views: 99
Message 3 of 5

Hi thanks for the reply! So I have tried almost everything now and still the same results:

- I have got the computer into ACHI mode.

- Updated all the drivers including chipset, sata, and ssd firmware etc, switched from intel to microsoft sata controller and back. No joy

- Updated the BIOS to the latest

- Reset the CMOS manually

- Ran the computer in various safe modes to try and get it working

- Changed the drive policies to better performance

- Optimised the drive on Samsung Magician (the drive shows as healthy, and has the 10% allocated)

- Speed tests are 500mb read and like 17mb write

- Trim is enabled. As confirmed on Samsung Magician and also did a cmd prompt

- Battery power is on high performance

When I plug the drive into my computer via usb c externally i get 500mb read and write so its not the drive, it seems like the actual sata iii 6gbs connector on the board. When I plug the ssd into the spare slot on the board I get slow writes. Could this be a power issue?

Am I missing something major? Ive tried everything and when the SSD is hooked up to the board via the spare sata iii 6gbs it copies fast and then there is a bottle neck. For example. I copy a large folder it starts at 500mb then drops to 7mb or less. Its painful. When I use the usb c into the external ports I get a constant 450mb write when copying files.

Thanks!

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 96
Message 4 of 5

@jnc0108 wrote:

when the SSD is hooked up to the board via the spare sata iii 6gbs it copies fast and then there is a bottle neck.

It might be worthwhile running one of the common tools for measuring disk speed, such as CrystalDiskMark. This will provide a standardised measure of the performance (many people use this, so you can see how your results compare to others).

As the disk seems OK, the problem would seem to be with the SATA port in the laptop. Do you have another disk that you could connect and test using CrystalDiskMark? It does not have to be an SSD -- a 2.5 inch HDD would suffice (it ought to be able to achieve at least 50-60 MBytes/sec, possibly more).

I have a 700-15ISK, into which I installed a 2TB Samsung SATA 850 EVO (not a PRO). It produces the results shown below when tested with CrystalDiskMark 6.0.2 (on Windows 10, version 1607).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

6_0_2 Samsung 850 EVO 2TB.jpgSamsung SATA 850 EVO 2TB

jnc0108
What's DOS?
Views: 92
Message 5 of 5

So when using Samsung magician and also crystal dusk (connected to the sata controller) I get 520 read. And as low as 17mb write. When I use the same drive via a usbc I get 500 on both. So it seems to be either the ssd not liking the sata controller, or the cable, or some other issue causing a bottle neck. I will try another hdd or get a spare ssd and get it a try. Really unsure what else could be causing it. Perhaps it's the pro version or something! 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors