United States of America

5 Signins

100 Page Views

• Views: 100
  • Message 1 of 1

Lenovo Y720 plugged in, not charging + unauthorized battery

2019-03-11, 9:05 AM

Hello,

I have tried searching online and am officially stumped, hopefully someone can help. I have the Lenovo Legion 720 and have had my laptop for a little over a year now and unfortunately, only a week or so after my warranty expired last year in December, my battery has stopped charging and has the "plugged in, not charging" message. When opening the Lenovo Vantage app, it showed a message about not charging authentic lenovo batteries, even though this was the battery that originally came with the laptop.

I have tried several solutions such as checking several lenovo chargers (to check if my charger was faulty), uninstalled/disabled the battery drivers while removing battery and restarting, and booted into BIOS mode f2 and f9 reset. Unfortunately I am unable to reset the BIOS, due to the 30% battery charge minimum required for the installation, however my BIOS is 4GCN38WW and up to date (can try this again if anyone knows how to reset BIOS on low battery).

Additionally, I have also bought 2 separate batteries (alongside the original one) under the impression that I had a faulty battery. The first battery was from Amazon and was most likely still not genuine, but the 2nd battery I bought from Encompass parts and it was where Lenovo support had directed me to themselves. It took about 3 months to get to me, and when i put it in today, it charged for about a few seconds before stopping. Unfortunately, now I still get the "plugged in, not charging" issue and get the same message about being unable to charge non-authentic batteries in Lenovo Vantage. I tried reinstalling the Lenovo Energy Management app and it also indicates "Unauthorized battery" in the battery info tab. I am really stumped. Is there any way to disable the no charging on unauthorized batteries? or if anyone has other suggestions on what to try, because waiting 3 months just to get an authentic battery from the official site and for it to not be recognized is really wasting my time and money. (I will try contacting support again, but so far it has not been very helpful, so if anyone on forums has advice, I'm open to it).

Thanks in advance!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms