Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LenoY720
Fanfold Paper
Views: 15,633
Message 1 of 52

Lenovo Y720 sleep issues

I have had my Lenovo Y720 for just a few weeks now and just randomly today i started having issues. I was using the computer in my dorm looking at notes and studying. I had to go print some stuff so before i left the room I hit sleep because i wanted to keep my tabs open for when i came back. But when i came back and hit the space bar for it to wake back up the screen turns on with this weird grid pattern in white and red. I tapped a few keys and then it started flickering between black screen and the weird grid pattern again. I forced shut down of the computer with the main power button and then turned it on again. It then turned on again with no issues and the screen is back to normal. Just out of curiosity i hit sleep again and then tried to turn it back on and it did the same thing. I had to go through the process of forcing it to shut down again and rebooting. Specs of my computer are as follows: 

- 7th gen i7-7700hq

- Nvidia 1060 6gb

- 16gb ram

- 1 Tb. SSD

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is my computer for college and I bought this hoping the extra up front cost of a nicer computer would mean it would last for a long time. Thanks in advance!

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 15,569
Message 2 of 52

Re: Lenovo Y720 sleep issues

It sounds like a graphic card issue... Have you updated the graphic card driver(s) since you got the laptop?   

Windows made a lot of changes in Windows 10 recently (I presume it came with Windows 10), so I would start with updating the Display and Video Graphics drivers that apply to your system if you have not already.   

You can also run Lenovo Companion (which should be already installed) to update all the drivers at once (which would be a good idea), but I would hold off on installing any recommended BIOS update, because Lenovo's BIOS update utility does not back up the current BIOS or provide method to recover should it fail, so if it does fail to complete normally, you are left with an expensive paperweight until you get it sent in and fixed. 

Best of luck, 

LenoY720
Fanfold Paper
Views: 15,552
Message 3 of 52

I just updated the display and graphics driver and the problem is still there. As soon as i try to wake it back up after it was sleeping it does the screen-grid flicker display thing. 

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 15,545
Message 4 of 52

I assume that your system has both the Intel HD graphics 630 and the Nvidia 1060, so you might try installing the latest Intel driver for the HD 630 released by Intel, since it is most likely the adapter in use when you wake up your computer.    You will have to use the .zip file and install manually using the instructions below, but it would be worth a try.

Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.46]  (Version: 15.46.05.4771 (Latest) Date: 8/23/2017)

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27058/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-46-?pr...

How to Manually Install an Intel® Graphics Driver in Windows® 10

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005629.html

Good luck,

LenoY720
Fanfold Paper
Views: 15,525
Message 5 of 52

I tried to update the intel graphics manually like you said but the computer alerted me that the best driver update is already on the computer and that i should check with the manufacturers website. I checked and i get the same result of a scan saying that my computer is up to date. Thanks for all your help by the way. 

Swe1
Paper Tape
Views: 15,490
Message 6 of 52

Have never seen this on my Y720 until today, 2017/10/04. Exactly the same issue. 
Config:

- 7th gen i7-7700hq

- Nvidia 1060 6gb

- 16gb ram

- 512 Gb. SSD

Solution someone? 

Only idea I have is this: 

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-3518725/blue-screen-lenovo-legion-y720-idle-windows.html

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 15,482
Message 7 of 52

Two of the same models suddenly having the same issue could point to a bad Windows Update.    Can you check the Windows Update histories and see if and when KB4040724 was installed, and if it corresponds to about the time you started having the problems? 

To check, press Windows Key + i to open Settings >> Update & Security >> Update History

KB4040724 can be removed via Control Panel >> Programs and Features >> View installed Updates.

If uninstalling the update has no effect and you want to re-install, you can check again for Windows Updates, or install it manually using the link below.

http://download.windowsupdate.com/d/msdownload/update/software/updt/2017/09/windows10.0-kb4040724-x6...

Please report back if that update is installed, and if you choose to remove it, whether it had any effect.

Good Luck,

LenoY720
Fanfold Paper
Views: 15,463
Message 8 of 52

I tried deleting that most recent update and the problem is still there. However that update did download onto my laptop today. Although if i remember correctly it did that after the problem had started occuring this afternoon. Any other bright ideas? Thanks

Ben99
What's DOS?
Views: 15,381
Message 9 of 52

Same issue here. Just started doing it today when i open the lid after its been on sleep. I found an update that might be causing the issue although i do not know how to fix it.

The update in question below:

Intel Corporation - Display - 7/24/2017 12:00:00 AM - 22.20.16.4749 

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 15,447
Message 10 of 52

I just updated my desktop system to KB4040724 and saw icacls.exe running upon restarting (utility used to set NTFS file permissions), so the update may have changed some file permissions that cause issues on some platforms, but I found no issues on my desktop.    I am not sure those would be reversed by uninstalling the update either, but I am just speculating on that. 

You might try downloading the latest display drivers for your system, and then using Device Manager. uninstall both existing drivers, making sure to check the box to "Delete the driver software for this device, and then re-instlalling the latest drivers to rule out any driver corruption, but that is sort of a crap shoot.

I don't suppose that any error are showing in the Windows Event Logs (most likely in the System Event Log) that would provide any clues?     (Right Click Start >> Event Viewer >> Windows Logs >> System)

Just to be clear, even if you boot up the laptop from a full shutdown, do not open anything, then right-click Start >> Shutdown or sign out >> Sleep, the screen flickering etc. occurs immediately after waking the system up...or is it only after you sign back on and your user profile loads?

What happens if you disable the Nvidia adapter via Device Manager and then try to reproduce the problem?     Any difference?

Have you talking nicely to the laptop, or playing classical music while waking it up?    Ok, so I am running out of ideas.

Cheers,

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors