Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Gaming – Lenovo LegionGaming Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

11-04-2020

Romania

9 Signins

45 Page Views

• Views: 45
  • Message 1 of 2

Lenovo Y740 thermal throttling

2020-11-05, 18:01 PM

I just got a Y740-IRGh with RTX 2070 and an I7-9750H. 

It get's realllllly hot while playing minecraft or genshin impact on ultra. like, 94Celsius(CPU). Even when it's idle, It gets to 64 C.

Can i do something about it?

I am also using a cooling pad also. 

Options

17 Posts

08-01-2019

Canada

29 Signins

211 Page Views

• Views: 211
  • Message 2 of 2

Re:Lenovo Y740 thermal throttling

2020-12-25, 1:21 AM

Try undervolting if it works, but before you do that you murst first ensure you won't ruin your warranty by undervolting your cpu.in general 50-65C is normal [imo] for thin laptops which have both beasts [cpu&gpu] inside them.

When gaming 94C is also normal, and the only solution is to limit the turbo boost from 4 ghz to 3.4-3.5ghz ghz and that will lower temps immediately without putting huge impact on your fps (it'll lower your fps and cpu temp but this could be a worthy sacrifice). Undervolting will also help a bit, but with recent change I am unable to undervolt my cpu any longer [Btw. thanks windows/lenovo/Intel - whoever done this].

Also you could try limiting your fps to 100-144 because your game always wants to have best fps at all times and that puts cpu and gpu to hard work when it's not neccesary.when it comes to cooling pads they don't improve thermals by a ton. You may try running things without a pad or a pad without fans on, etc.

But If you want to have highest graphics and highest fps possible, your cpu will throttle and nothing will change that (assuming you want to keep using thin gaming laptops).

PS:

You can also play with thermal performance modes since they aren't even working on my laptop. Quiet thermal mode gives me best gaming performance whereas Balanced and Performance... I am not using them since they're incorrectly programmed.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms