Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joe1272
Paper Tape
Views: 24,283
Message 11 of 60

Betreff: Lenovo ideapad Y700-15ACZ - M.2 SSD Upgrade

Maybe NVMe is not supported yet. but it might be in the future through a BIOS update. For now I will get the SM951 AHCI 256GB. Thanks everyone.
orbi
Punch Card
Views: 24,262
Message 12 of 60

I purchased the Y700-15ISK, came with HDD only to save money by upgrading. I noticed that the system guide listed Samsung PM951, a notch down from SM951, so I went with a 950 Pro (insulated for just a few $ more), since the system is NVMe compatible Gen 3 PCIe x4. If the Y700-15ACZ is PCIe x2, it should be backward-compatible, but only two lanes.

Samsung driver & software downloads:

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/support/downloads.html

Open 11 screws on bottom, it comes off fairly easily, there's a guide how to do it for the Y700. Be sure to have a very small screw available, maybe a laptop repair place might have a dismantled unit if you don't have one. It's almost comical trying to get the screw in for the M.2 drive, it's that small.

If migrating to a Samsung M.2 SSD and keeping the HDD for storage:

You'll need the Samsung NVMe driver (950 pro has its own), Magician Software & Data Migration Software.

Add the drive and re-attach the bottom, I recommend not screwing it back together until sure it's working.

Boot into Windows, go to Disk Management, create & format (GPT) the M.2, install the NVMe driver (950 Pro), Magician Software (go into that and enable over-provisioning), then Data Migration Software, which will do all the work for you, even making the M.2 the boot drive.

If adding an M.2 SSD and replacing the HDD with 2.5" SSD:

M.2 SSDs - You'll have to find a very small screw. I found one in my other laptop that's dismantled. After putting it in, to test it, I booted, then via Disk Management I formatted the drive (GPT), then installed the NVMe driver (for the 950 Pro, it has its own), everything worked fine. Then I shut down, replaced the HDD with a SATA III SSD, being careful with taking the foil off the hard drive and carefully putting it over the SSD. (Not as nervewracking as I thought it would be.)

Next, I installed Win 10 (Pro) on the 950 Pro - there's no serial needed for a fresh installation of Win 10 Home, get the Win 10 MediaCreationTool from Microsoft. Once in Windows, I re-installed the NVMe driver, Samsung Magician Software, and the system drivers, conveniently located on the HDD in their own partition. Via Magician you can check your performance and also enable over-provisioning for longer lifespan.

The HDD was put into an external USB 3 enclosure for storage. I didn't install One Key Recovery since that partition doesn't exist with the a fresh install. I did try the Lenovo Utility but it apparently is incompatible with Win 10 Pro (?); I get an error message.

Anyways, I guess for desktops your 950 Pro speeds should be around 2.5GB/s read, 1.5GB/s write. I installed Samsung Magician, and set over-provisioning for the default 10% (makes drive last longer). Maybe it's because this is a laptop, my speeds (according to Magician) s/be 2.2GB/s & 900MB/s. My benchmarks have been 1.5-1.6GB/s and 950MB/s (sequential). I'm hopiong a future NVMe driver update (still relatively new) or 950 Pro firmware update or Lenovo Y700 BIOS update will increase the read speed. My 2.5" SSD is getting around 500 & 450 read/write speeds.

It's mind-blowing fast. Backing up from 950 Pro to 2.5" SSD on my system is about 10GB/min, file copying is over 200MB/s. Going reverse direction, it's 450MB/s or more. Video transcoding, you can increase performance reading from the slower drive and writing to the faster drive.

The ONLY issue I'm having is, and I don't know if this was an issue before adding the 950 Pro, is that my USB 3 external hard drives are writing painfully slow. (Read speeds seem OK.) BUT if I use a USB 3 external drive that has its own power, it's normal speed. Weird!

I've named my computer Speedy Gonzales (or Speedy G) from Looney Tunes... Andale! Andale! This is one smoking fast computer.

There are two nibbles in a byte and four bits in a nibble. That's why you get cookies when you surf the web.
ZackRMCF
Paper Tape
Views: 23,849
Message 13 of 60

Re: Lenovo ideapad Y700-15ACZ - M.2 SSD Upgrade

Hey Ordi, thanks for your explanations.

I have also bought the Y700-15ISK, and I was planning on adding a 128GB SSD as your clearly specified it.

However, the 950 Pro is a 256GB (minimum), so for financial reasons I've been looking for compatible 128GB ones.

Could you please tell me if the Samsung SM951 128GB M.2 (http://www.amazon.fr/dp/B014FYUPVU/?smid=A1JVOZ5RWQPGFB&tag=idealocom-mp-21&linkCode=asn&creative=67... is compatible ?

By the way, I was planning on adding the SSD for OS and other installs, and keeping the HDD for internal storage (your first option).

Thanks a lot for your time

Zack

Rkin
What's DOS?
Views: 23,690
Message 14 of 60

@Ementec wrote:

The Intel version seems to have a doubbled connection to its M.2 port:

• SATA-3
  • PCIe 3.0 with 4 Lanes

So you can use all M.2 SSD cards with SATA-3 like the Samsung EVO 850 AND you can use PCIe 3.0 M.2 SSD cards like the Samsung SM951 AHCI. Both seem to be the fastest and best equipped cards available according to their connection.

But: it is not clear if the NVMe protocol is supported. I think it is not. So you can only use AHCI and IDE modes (but don't use IDE). So don't buy Samsung SM951 NVMe or Samsung 950 Pro yet. They may not work. But Samsung SM951 AHCI is almost same fast. So no real losses.

If you want use the Samsung 850 EVO, keep in mind it is just SATA-3. It will work but PCIe cards like the Samsung SM951 AHCI will be up to 4 times faster. So it is up to you: save money or save speed.

I'd be very happy to use PCIe speed but it seems the Y700-15ACZ had not enough free PCIe lanes left. Very sad ...

Hi,

I am new with SSD and to be honest, I am pretty confused now.. I bought today this Lenovo y700 and I would like to upgrade it with M.2 SSD. I just don't which one to buy. 

I would like to buy Samsung 950 Pro, because it is the fastest, but it won't work? RIght? So which one I should buy? Samsung 850? 

Could you recommend me, which M.2 SSD would work the best? I would like to have 256gb or 512 gb SSD.

I guess mine is Intel version (processor: Intel i5 6300HQ)

Thanks for your replies.

wmj259
Token Ring
Views: 23,516
Message 15 of 60

@Rkin wrote:

@Ementec wrote:

The Intel version seems to have a doubbled connection to its M.2 port:

• SATA-3
  • PCIe 3.0 with 4 Lanes

So you can use all M.2 SSD cards with SATA-3 like the Samsung EVO 850 AND you can use PCIe 3.0 M.2 SSD cards like the Samsung SM951 AHCI. Both seem to be the fastest and best equipped cards available according to their connection.

But: it is not clear if the NVMe protocol is supported. I think it is not. So you can only use AHCI and IDE modes (but don't use IDE). So don't buy Samsung SM951 NVMe or Samsung 950 Pro yet. They may not work. But Samsung SM951 AHCI is almost same fast. So no real losses.

If you want use the Samsung 850 EVO, keep in mind it is just SATA-3. It will work but PCIe cards like the Samsung SM951 AHCI will be up to 4 times faster. So it is up to you: save money or save speed.

I'd be very happy to use PCIe speed but it seems the Y700-15ACZ had not enough free PCIe lanes left. Very sad ...

Hi,

I am new with SSD and to be honest, I am pretty confused now.. I bought today this Lenovo y700 and I would like to upgrade it with M.2 SSD. I just don't which one to buy. 

I would like to buy Samsung 950 Pro, because it is the fastest, but it won't work? RIght? So which one I should buy? Samsung 850? 

Could you recommend me, which M.2 SSD would work the best? I would like to have 256gb or 512 gb SSD.

I guess mine is Intel version (processor: Intel i5 6300HQ)

Thanks for your replies.

I am having the same question and would also like to get that 950 Pro PCIe NVMe M.2 too but based on the posts above and last page people are saying that it wont work but ordi says it will work..... i've never been stuck between a tug of ropewar. Please help lol.

Y50-70 i7-4720HQ - 16GB Ram - 1TB HDD Win 8.1 - 4GB-860 GTX
orbi
Punch Card
Views: 23,499
Message 16 of 60

Agree with Ementec... Y700 "ACZ" models apparently don't support NVMe (only AHCI).

The hardware maintenance manual (see Parts List > Overall, pgs. 78-79) shows what drives come preinstalled, depending on the system configuration. (Listed below if you want to save time.)

Googling the part numbers, you'll find that only the "ISK" (Intel + Nvidia gfx) models come preinstalled with the NVMe Samsung M.2 drives.

All Y700 models ("ACZ" and "ISK")

Drives preinstalled depending on configuration:

Samsung PM871 MZNLN128HCGR M.2 128GB
Samsung MZNLN256HCHP M.2 256GB
Samsung MZNLN512HCJH M.2 512GB
Liteon CV1-8B128 128GB M.2
Liteon CV1-8B256 256GB M.2
Liteon CV1-8B512 512GB M.2

"ISK" models only

NVMe drives preinstalled (PM951, a notch below SM951 & 950 Pro):
Samsung MZVLV128HCGR 128GB M.2 PCIe
Samsung MZVLV256HCHP 256GB M.2 PCIe
Samsung MZVLV512HCJH 512GB M.2 PCIe

This Samsung page lists their best M.2 drives

The SM951 is top-tier, available in NVMe and AHCI. If you have a system with AMD graphics, your only option is AHCI. NVMe is newer, and very few laptops are currently capable supporting this type.

The Samsung 950 Pro (slightly more $ than SM951, NVMe only)

---

Regarding question about Y50-70 accepting M.2, the Y40 & 50 hardware maintenance manual doesn't indicate it has a PCI-e connector for M.2 drives.

There are two nibbles in a byte and four bits in a nibble. That's why you get cookies when you surf the web.
wmj259
Token Ring
Views: 23,448
Message 17 of 60

So my laptop will be an ISK since it will have intel and gtx gpu, so that will be a YES that I can get a 950 PRO?

Wait you have both models containing ISK in them?

Highlighted
orbi
Punch Card
Views: 23,420
Message 18 of 60

You have a Y50-70? If so, I don't think you can add an M.2 drive. (I could be wrong.) If you can add an M.2 drive, you will need to go with AHCI, SM951, as the 950 Pro is only available in NVMe. Refer to Y40 & Y50 series hardware maintenance manual

But if you have the Y700-15ISK, then yes, you can get the 950 Pro. The driver version is still 1.0, performance should improve as it matures.

A side "note," I'm not sure if it's related to adding the PCIe drive, but I can't write much data to external USB 3 hard drives before it slows to a crawl; I have three that are unpowered with the same results, and have set them for "better performance" in device manager. With my powered USB 3 external drive, no problems. With USB 3 flash drives, getting 50MB/sec, so no problems there. I'm waiting on a powered USB 3 hub to be delivered to see if the issue is due to a lack of sustained power through the port. There's no BIOS update for the ISK yet, and I can't get the original BIOS flash file from Lenovo (weird), I was hoping that reflashing the BIOS would fix the USB 3 issue. I guess I should remove the battery and press the power button for several seconds to discharge residual electricity, that sometimes fixes hardware issues, but since it's screwed inside, I haven't gotten to that yet. (Will wait for the powered hub.)

Here's a tip for for the Y700-15ISK owners, go into device manager, and manually update drivers for anything that says Intel (including graphics, system devices, etc.). You can do this by right-click on each Intel item in every catagory, select Update Driver Software, and let it search automatically for updates. Quite a few Intel updates were installed. (I was hoping it would fix the USB 3.0 host controller, that's how I found out about the driver updates for Intel that don't come via Windows Update or the Intel Driver Update Utility.)

wmj259
Token Ring
Views: 23,418
Message 19 of 60

Yes I do have a y50-70 but in a few days will be getting a y700-15 i7 960 gtx 4gb 16gb ram. So i was referring to the y700. I cant find how to udate my tags. lol. sorry for inconvenience

orbi
Punch Card
Views: 23,404
Message 20 of 60

LOL no prob... You will LOVE this system with an M.2. If you later opt to replace the HDD with a SATA SSD, it makes for very fast backups and/or syncs, I get around 450MB/s copying files between them.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors