Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wmj259
Token Ring
Views: 3,874
Message 21 of 60

Betreff: Lenovo ideapad Y700-15ACZ - M.2 SSD Upgrade

Another question, should I be scared about a ssd dying on me? Of course they maybe ssds that live short of their life or just hocuspocus die all of a sudden. Would this apply to a M.2 ssd also? Are there any backup features built so that I can retrieve data even before it crashes or is that the responsibility of the consumer to do a periodic backup?

Y50-70 i7-4720HQ - 16GB Ram - 1TB HDD Win 8.1 - 4GB-860 GTX
orbi
Punch Card
Views: 3,858
Message 22 of 60

Not at all, SSDs have proven to be pretty reliable from what I've seen.

For quite some time computer manufacturers stuck with hard drives (except high end systems), I'd guess because of fears similar to that and I think they incorrectly assumed most users would rather have lots of storage than "enough" storage with smaller capacity SATA SSDs. Well, with hard drives, they average maybe 5 years, I've had them last 10 and others last just 2 or 3 years.

I've installed well over a dozen SSDs, many refurbished, over the last few years and not one of those drives has failed yet.

One option for backup is Backup & Restore (via control panel), just ignore the reference to Windows 7. From there you can set up backup for your docs and other data, and even schedule automatic backups.

You can also make a system image, I usually make one monthly, and schedule the data backups daily or weekly (be sure to periodically delete old backup data sets as they accumulate). If your computer goofs up, you can restore it to the latest system image and/or the latest data backup, depending on need. Also be sure to create a System Repair Disc in case Windows won't load and you need to troubleshoot, and if you have to, you can restore the latest system image. Windows Backup is pretty easy to figure out. For extra peace of mind, I like to have 2 system backups, one on an external drive, the other on the SATA SSD. (It backs up at about 10GB/min, of course slower on an HDD.)

Another way to backup is via a free utility called Macrium Reflect, it lets you create a bootable rescue CD or flash drive that will let you restore the last good system image you created with Reflect. I like Reflect because you can choose to just back up partitions required to restore Windows, or back up individual partitions.

With the 950 Pro, the 512GB is faster, and could last longer than the 256GB model, as there are more flash memory cells to write to over time. From what I understand, each cell can be written to about 10,000 times. Well, with the Samsung Magician software, you'll want to extend the life of your drive by enabling over-provisioning, which sets aside 10% (or your choosing) of the drive to extend its life.

I used to always use only Macrium Reflect for backing up monthly, and it does a fine job of compressing the data into a smaller size than Windows System Image Backup, from what I've noticed. Using both programs, you have two ways of restoring your computer.

The speed difference between HDD and SSD is similar to the difference between M.2 SSD and (SATA) SSDs.

As listed in a previous post (I hope this matches that), here's a recap of upgrading: The easiest way for upgrading I'd say is to add the M.2 drive, boot into Windows, format the M.2 (GPT format), then install the NVMe driver, then Samsung Magician, set overprovisioning in Magician, then use Samsung Migration, migrate, reboot, and your C: drive will be the M.2 SSD, you'll notice how much quicker it loads. From the time BIOS loads, it takes 3-5 seconds to load Windows (almost 15 sec. overall).

If/when you're ready to replace the hard drive, get a $15+ external hdd enclosure (USB 3) and put it into that, there are tool-less models available. Use it for backup or whatever. Install the SATA SSD, being careful with the tin foil removal off of the hard drive, put the tinfoil connection on the SSD, insert the SSD (it will fit fine, even though it's replacing a slim-height drive).

Boot, and you'll have one of the fastest laptops in the world; if you figure there's only two models of faster GPUs from Nvidia that cost several hundred dollars more, in a way you could say it's the 3rd-fastest laptop possible at this time, as it has DDR4 memory, the latest and fastest mobile quad-core CPU, the fastest M.2 SSD, a SATA III SSD, GTX960M w/ 4GB RAM (as opposed to 2GB model), support for NVMe (which will only distance itself further from AHCI as it matures with its multithreading capabilities), an outstanding cooling system which makes components last longer and your system will run faster (not throttle down). The thermal insulation on the 950 Pro M.2 SSD - I saw a graphic that showed it runs cooler than the SM951.

That nagging USB3 issue I have, I'll eventually figure it out. Will post for solutions after I've exhausted all options I can think of (been working with comptuers since '83, fixing them since early '90s). But this is the first time I've used an M.2 drive, I didn't even know this system had a PCI-e connection available, and latest version at that (PCI-e Gen 3, x4). It wasn't until I checked the hardware maintenance manual that I came across NVMe Samsung PM951 as one of the preinstalled drive options, and that's how I came to learn about the upgrade. I feel really lucky to have a system that can keep up with me. Smiley Very Happy

There are two nibbles in a byte and four bits in a nibble. That's why you get cookies when you surf the web.
wmj259
Token Ring
Views: 3,853
Message 23 of 60

Okay, so I have always been confused about backups. To make thing simple for you and me: How I think of a backup, (and this may help other people as well or maybe if you can clarify in the blanks of my explanation), I have basically a file for all my things on my computer, So a backup would be basically a COPY of that file for all my things, and instead of being in my C drive, it would possibly be on my external USB or a CD or a external Harddrive, bascally.........correct? And if my system (please no dont...) does crash for some reason, I can just plug in my USB CD or hardrive and get back to that point before the crash?

So from your recommendations, Orbi, what kind of of backups do you recommend me doing? Do I have to basically copy my WHOLE C Drive? or are there important key things that I need to always copy?

In the Y700, since I wont know what kind of M.2 type device will be preinstalled, I basically wouldn't know the speed of that M.2 ssd. Based on the Hardware Manual on page 78-79 it gives a list of like 10 different possible storage types, whether HDD or SSD. But I am planning to keep the HDD and possibly upgrade the M.2 that is in it already. 

Sorry if I have the most annoying questions, but this stuff is out of my knowledge league. I apologize if I may have been repeating my questions.

orbi
Punch Card
Views: 3,847
Message 24 of 60

OK, a backup of your entire C: drive takes place when you do a system image either via Windows Backup or Macrium Reflect. There are also a couple of system partitions that are included with that that will also be included automatically in the backup. Since you're backing up C:, if keeping the HDD, it would back up faster to that than to an external USB 3 drive. (Don't bother backing up to DVDs, way too many would be required.)

Depending on your preference, back up C: weekly or monthly, it takes 10-20 minutes for the typical Win 10 system. I would suggest trying both Macrium Reflect and Windows Backup on your Y50-70 and see which you prefer. I personally like Reflect better since you can access any imiages made and get files from them, it creates ONE file, and compresses data well. I usually keep 2 or 3 backups saved at any given time, in case the most recent one doesn't work.

Restoring a backup involves a bootable CD/DVD/flash drive that you create with Windows Backup or Macrium Reflect. If your system gets messed up, you boot off that, and from there you select the latest backup, and it restores your system back to that point in time.

My Y700 only came with a hard drive only, and I added the M.2. I didn't know you ordered one with an M.2 drive preinstalled. It will most likely be the PM951, a bit cheaper than SM951, sold to manufacturers in volume. The performance difference between PM951 and SM951 or 950 Pro, IMHO, wouldn't justify the cost ($200 for 256GB, $350 for 512GB).
There are two nibbles in a byte and four bits in a nibble. That's why you get cookies when you surf the web.
wmj259
Token Ring
Views: 3,830
Message 25 of 60

I only assume that its gotta be a m.2 ssd because the case manager sent me the specs and in it it says a 1tb +128gb i can only assume that the 128 is a ssd. And I've heard that it has 2 slots for memory.

wmj259
Token Ring
Views: 3,808
Message 26 of 60

So from the device manager I see that there are 2 drives in this laptop.

One is a WDC WD10SPCX-24HWST1 drive which has approx 1TB of space.

The other drive is a 

SAMSUNG MZNLN128HCGR-000L2 drive which has approx 128 GB of space. 

All the programs and OS is loaded on this Samsung drive. I am wondering would it be smart to uninstall and reinstall the programs (which basically I can deal with them running on hardrive speed) to the 1TB hard-drive? Will that do more damage to the Samsung SSD?I just want to keep things on my SSD that I need to run fast with. Like CAD and games. Nothing nonessential like Microsoft Office, MATLAB, and other basic items  I want to put on the harddrive.

orbi
Punch Card
Views: 3,800
Message 27 of 60

Sorry for redundancy, I just woke up. Smiley Very Happy

With SSDs you want to keep them at no more than 75% capacity for best performance, from what I've read. And no, it won't damage the M.2 SSD if you install programs to other drives.

There aren't any huge programs preinstalled that I would worry about installing to the other drive; I'd say if you start approaching that 75% capacity, to maybe move your docs, pics, videos, music to the other drive (right-click on Documents, select Location, and move it to drive D, in a Docs folder you create ahead of time). Or at least move your Videos, if they take up a lot of space. However, to back up those files, you'll want to use an external drive, and backing up your personal data can be done automatically via Backup & Restore (in Control Panel).

If you have programs installed on both drives and one fails, it would be more work getting things back the way they were. By keeping your programs and the OS on one drive, you'll be better off, since you'd be backing up THAT at least monthly and everything would be restored.

For the majority of users, 128GB is plenty for an OS and all programs, docs, pics, music, and possibly videos. In most cases, if the user needs to move something to save space, Videos is usually the best bet. (Again, right-click Videos, set location for drive D:, in a folder you create called Videos, and transfer all videos there.)

With 1TB for storage, definitely backup the OS and programs to that drive (all of drive C: and system partitions).

MOST users I've worked with use 50-75GB after all of their applications are installed AND all of their personal data. So for 128GB, if say 13GB is used for over-provisioning (to extend life of drive), you'd be left with 115GB. So as long as you always have 30GB free or more on C:, you'd be using less than 75% of the M.2 drive.

If you missed my recommendation on updating Intel drivers (for your system), go to Control Panel, and open all categories (one at a time), and anything that says "Intel," right-click and update driver software. (There are quite a few Intel entries littered throughout Device Manager.)

Hope that helps. If it was me, I'd leave things as-is. If you have large programs (games, etc.) that you need space for, and you're nearing that 30GB free, don't uninstall programs then reinstall to D:, but rather, your videos and/or other personal data that use a lot of space.

wmj259
Token Ring
Views: 3,796
Message 28 of 60

@orbi wrote:

With SSDs you want to keep them at no more than 75% capacity for best performance, from what I've read. And no, it won't damage the M.2 SSD if you install to other drives.

There aren't any huge programs preinstalled that I would worry about installing to the other drive; I'd say if you start approaching that 75% capacity, to maybe move your docs, pics, videos, music to the other drive (right-click on Documents, select Location, and move it to drive D, in a Docs folder you create ahead of time). Or at least move your Videos, if they take up a lot of space. (That's my situation.)

If you have programs installed on both drives and one fails, it would be more work getting things back the way they were. By keeping your programs and the OS on one drive, you'll be better off, since you'd be backing up THAT at least monthly and everything would be restored.

For the majority of users, 128GB is plenty for an OS and all programs, docs, pics, music, and even videos. In most cases, if the user needs to move something to save space, Videos is usually the best bet. (Again, right-click Videos, set location for drive D:, in a folder you create called Videos, and transfer all videos there.)

With 1TB for storage, definitely backup to that drive. MOST users I've worked with use 50GB or so after all of their applications are installed, and all of their personal data.

Thanks for your reply. So I am basically updating all the drivers, so far I've uninstalled NVIDIA and when I uninstalled the driver it went bluescreen, which I suppose is natural, so now I am reinstalling the whole NVIDIA suite. I will be checking the other drivers also. So basically from here on out, I should install all the programs I want at regular speed on my harddrive, and put what I want on SSD speed on my ssd, right? Any general idea of how you would organize the following categories:

If you don't mind, where would you yourself place these items HDD or SSD. Sorry for bugging you.

-Games/Steam

-Microsoft Office Suite(Word Powerpoint,excel........)

-MATLAB

-CAD/Inventor/SolidWorks

-Chrome/other internet browsers

-College Course Lecture PDF's

orbi
Punch Card
Views: 3,792
Message 29 of 60

Hmm, it looks as though you saw my post while it was not yet finished. If it was me, I'd definitely install gaming and any other disk-intensive on the M.2 drive. I still recommend installing all apps to the M.2. If you need space, move your personal data. Running late now, gotta run. Have fun!

Oh, JUST NOTICED your M.2 drive is a PM871 (I googled MZNLN128HCGR) - THAT drive has 540MB/s read and 140MB/s write, made for mass production. There are SATA III SSDs with approx. triple the write speed.

That's worth upgrading; I thought you'd be getting a PM951 preinstalled. So I take back it not being worth the $ to upgrade if you need that extra speed. SM951/950 Pro will read at least 3 times faster than PM871 (up to 5x if you get the 512GB version), and write about 6 times faster (up to 10x on 512GB version).

If/when you upgrade, you'll want to make a backup image of the current M.2 drive onto D: (or an external drive, but the 1TB drive inside the system will be faster to backup and restore), take the M.2 drive out, insert the 950/951 (careful with that super small screw!), then boot off the recovery media and restore the image onto the new drive.

wmj259
Token Ring
Views: 3,780
Message 30 of 60

Okay, so I think I can try to from now on put things on the right drive. Yeah I noticed the drive speeds in the intel rapid storage program. Follow-up question I read that constantly reading/writing/deleteing files on a ssd makes hurt to the ssd's health, not sure but it doesnt feel like it would be the same for a harddrive right?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors