Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MupBaby
Paper Tape
Views: 1,157
Message 1 of 7

Lenovo ideapad y700 loose shift key

Just recently bought this laptop and the shift key was loose. Was wondering if this was a problem that i can fix myself or have to send in to get down. I'm scared if I remove the shift key i wont be able to put it back together.

MupBaby
Paper Tape
Views: 1,146
Message 2 of 7

Re: Lenovo ideapad y700 loose shift key

why does no one ever reply to my posts? is this forum dead?

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 1,135
Message 3 of 7

This is primarily a peer-to-peer forum with a little assistance from Lenovo employees on larger issues. If you give it a little time, someone may be able to answer your question.

keep-calm-it-s-a-thinkpad-sm2.jpg

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane
nonnymouselenovoff1.gif

2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I AM one of those crazy ThinkPad zealots!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

I am not a Lenovo employee

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,127
Message 4 of 7

@MupBaby wrote:

Just recently bought this laptop and the shift key was loose. Was wondering if this was a problem that i can fix myself or have to send in to get down. I'm scared if I remove the shift key i wont be able to put it back together.

Welcome to the Lenovo Community !

Since you have a relatively new laptop I would recommend that you contact Lenovo Support for warranty assistance.  Any fixes that you may try to do may cause additional damage which would not be covered under warranty. 

Lenovo Support - USA

1-877-453-6686
24 hours a day 7 days / week

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

Alejo1707
Paper Tape
Views: 1,012
Message 5 of 7

Wow dat reply from Lenovo...rly...what if you live in a country in which support is not available? I have a loose "S" key that has been bothering me since I bought it and can't bring my laptop for service since I don't have support nearby...what should I do then...

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,003
Message 6 of 7

If the keys are still the same, the key is connected via two clips on either side of the key. Depending on whether the key shifts or rotates determines which part has lost it's connection.

The best fix I found is to center the key, and then press the key rather hard to try and pop it back into the clip. If this does not work, more than likely something broke on the tiny plastic mechanism.

If support is not available in your area, the best fix is to simply replace the whole keyboard, as the keys are getting thinner and harder to repair.

Hope this helps!

←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗
Tap that kudos button if I helped ^^
←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗
Alejo1707
Paper Tape
Views: 973
Message 7 of 7

I see, so you are telling me that now it's getting harder and harder to repair Lenovo keys? I've checked for some keyboards online and since it's an integrated one if I change the keyboard it means I'll have to change the whole laptop base and I don't really want to take out all the components just because of a key, the solution I got is this one though (since I am in China now Smiley Happy)

IMG-20160619-WA0074.jpg.jpegSilicon protector

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors