Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Gaming – Lenovo LegionGaming Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

18 Posts

11-20-2020

India

14 Signins

135 Page Views

• Views: 135
  • Message 1 of 3

Lenovo l340 thermal throttling after 15-20 min of gaming

2021-07-02, 5:01 AM

My Lenovo l340 laptop overheats a lot I can't play any game with this laptop. After playing Fortnite in max settings(which the laptop should run based on its specs), the laptop starts throttling which makes the game unplayable even on low settings. I've tried undervolting didn't work though CPU temperatures are around 80-86. Please can anybody help me with this issue?

Options

2834 Posts

03-11-2020

Greece

327 Signins

14351 Page Views

• Views: 14351
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:Lenovo l340 thermal throttling after 15-20 min of gaming

2021-07-02, 9:51 AM

Hi Balwadkarparth,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Make sure your power settings are at "Best Performance" when playing and/or that it's plugged into the AC adapter for power. In the event you already have this, then it's most likely to be a overheating issue. Intel usually sets the throttling limit to about 100/101C , but I've seen too many devices lately that throttle at around 80-95. Keep in mind though, that these are very high temperatures. I'd suggest getting a hold of programs like HWMONITOR and check the temperature ranges of your CPU cores to see if they are spiking into the 90's + sometimes, and if that's the case, then I'd probably get a hold of a laptop cooling pad and/or re-apply better thermal paste on the CPU/heatsink.

To see which processes are being throttled, use these steps:

Click the Windows Key + X , select Search
Search for Task Manager and click the top result to open or use the Ctrl + Shift + ESC keyboard shortcut to open the tool.
Click the More details button if you're in compact mode.
Click the Details tab.
Right-click the header of one of the column, and click Select columns.
Scroll down and check the Power Throttling option.
Click the OK button.
Confirm the apps that are being throttled.

On laptops, tablets, or other form factors running on battery, expect to find some processes with throttling set to "Enabled" and some others set to "Disabled."
Once you complete the steps, a new "Power Throttling" column will show the processes in the throttling state.
You can always confirm that the feature is working by opening and minimizing an app. When you're actively using an app, you'll notice that its processes in Task Manager will appear as "Disabled," but as soon as you minimize the app, the processes will switch to "Enabled."

If you see every process with the "Disabled" state, then your device is probably connected to a power source, using the "Best performance" power mode, or using a processor that doesn't support the technology.
Power Throttling is only available on processors with Intel's Speed Shift, which is a technology present on the 6th Generation of Intel chips and later.

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Private Message; questions belong in the forums.

Options

18 Posts

11-20-2020

India

14 Signins

135 Page Views

• Views: 135
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:Lenovo l340 thermal throttling after 15-20 min of gaming

2021-07-03, 5:09 AM

Can u suggest some cooling pads for this laptop, and will the cooling pad eliminate overheating issues?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms