Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Playswithzombie
Paper Tape
Views: 252
Message 1 of 7

Lenovo legion Y520 - 15IKBN (dead?)

Hi all, sadly my legion has stopped working. 

When it happened :

short story is, when I was gaming. My headphones died, wireless through usb. 

And in that same moment when they died. 

My laptop shut off without warning. 

Also had mouse and charger plugged in. 

Now, when I hit power button the power light on the side turns on. But   no power to the   screen    or     fans. 

(Edit: Forgot to mention my keyboard does not light up either. )

When i plug charger in the charging light works also. 

I don’t really know too much about this Subject sorry. 

My warranty expired back in May this year. So I wanted to see if anybody had similar problems, or even had a solution to this. 

Anythign helps. 

Thanks for taking the time to read and help. 

Guru
Views: 231
Message 2 of 7

Re: Lenovo legion Y520 - 15IKBN (dead?)

Try to drain the residue power.

First, unplug the computer from everything.

Then, disconnect the battery (you don't have to remove it). You'll need to open up the bottom cover to do this. Refer to page 32 to 35 of the HMM to do this: https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/legion_y520-15ikbn_hmm_201701.pdf.

Next, hold the power button for 30 seconds. 

Then connect the battery back in, and plug in the laptop to power. Try to turn it on. 

Let me know if this helps. 

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Motorola   •IdeaPad   •ThinkPad   •Gaming   •ThinkCentre   •IdeaCentre   •Think Tablets   •Lenovo Tablets

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

Playswithzombie
Paper Tape
Views: 217
Message 3 of 7

Held for 30 seconds with a timer to make sure.

But still in the same condition. 

Guru
Views: 209
Message 4 of 7

Does pressing the small OneKey recovery button to anything? You may need a paper clip to press it. 

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Motorola   •IdeaPad   •ThinkPad   •Gaming   •ThinkCentre   •IdeaCentre   •Think Tablets   •Lenovo Tablets

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

Playswithzombie
Paper Tape
Views: 196
Message 5 of 7

Was hopeful, but no. Still only charger light and small power light. No screen and no fan. 

Guru
Views: 193
Message 6 of 7

Try removing one of the RAM sticks and turning it on. If it still doesn't turn on, try put that one back and remove the other RAM stick. If you only have one RAM stick in your laptop, try to reseat it, making sure it's clicked on the motherboard. 

Here's a video that might help you with removing the RAM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Xt3iAVuaqo

After trying all that and it doesn't work, try connecting the laptop to an external monitor (if you have one). If it still doesn't work, the problem most likely lies in the motherboard and you'll need it replaced. 

Contact Lenovo Support at 1-855-253-6686 or via support chat.

Regards,
Eric Xu

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 181
Message 7 of 7

Hi Playswithzombie!

Welcome to the Community Forums.

You mentioned "My headphones died, wireless through usb.", is it wired through UBS or are you using wireless headphones? In any case, try to do a power drain by removing all connected devices (ac adapter, USB flash drive, etc.), shut it down and hold down the power button for 60 seconds. Turn it back on after a few minutes and observe. 

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors