Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ForumUsername
Paper Tape
Views: 1,391
Message 1 of 6

Lenovo legion y520-15IKBN really bad performance

First of all I am sorry for my english but i don't know what to do.

I've bought new lenovo legion y520 laptop month or two ago (with i5-7300HQ, GTX 1050 2 GB VRAM, 6 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD) and my gaming experience is pretty bad so far.

I tried some games and my fps are the same like on my old desktop PC (more than 6 years old) with i3-2130, amd radeon HD7770 1 GB VRAM and 8 GB RAM. I've tested for example Assassin's creed black flag (same settings on both devices) and my fps were nearly the same on both (around 45 FPS).

Then I've tried Battlefield 3, Subnautica and few other games but my biggest issue is with Star Wars Battlefront 2. I checked the minimal system requirements and I should be able to run it quite well atleast on low settings but the game is stuttering so terribly. It is unplayable. But my old PC that don' t enven have minimum requirements runs it better and pretty smooth with MSI afterburner keepin fps at 30-50.

I didn' t expect any wonders from this laptop (smooth 40 fps is fine for me) but I've expected that I'll be able to play atleast some older games pretty well. The question is: Is it normal or something is not allright with my laptop?

I tried installing all drivers from lenovo website (install them manually), reinstall windows 10, celan install windows 10, find newest Nvidia drivers, change graphic driver settings but nothing helped.

I've also noticed that while playing star wars battlefornt 2 on old desktop my graphic card usage is quite stable but while playing on laptop my graphic card usage is changing pretty fast so there are drops to 0% then it goes on 60% and so on.

One possible cause can be the fact that I only have 6 GB RAM but my RAM usage is rarely more than 5,5 GB and I don't think that it can cause such a huge laggs.

I would be glad if you could post here some games, their setting and your fps so I could compare my performance because I didn't have to spend so much money to play games with same performance like on 6 years old PC.

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 1,313
Message 2 of 6

Re: Lenovo legion y520-15IKBN really bad performance

@ForumUsername,

Welcome to the Community,

The first thing to try is to make sure all of your drivers are up to date.

Using Lenovo Vantage, try to update the system.

Miguel Gonzalez
Smart Device, Gaming & Spanish Community Leader

Lenovo Slovakia

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська  Moto English

ForumUsername
Paper Tape
Views: 1,082
Message 3 of 6

Hello, 

I am using lenovo vantage periodically so the drivers are up to date. I think the RAM upgrade could work because 6 GB is low for most of the games.

OverkillPro1
Serial Port
Views: 1,079
Message 4 of 6

Make sure laptop is plugged in while playing games and tweak games setting from nvidea control panel as if start with low then change setting to medium 1 by 1.

Then see if it makes any difference...

ForumUsername
Paper Tape
Views: 1,056
Message 5 of 6

Laptop is plugged in. Changing the settings via nvidia control panel was one of the first things I've tried. I've also found some settings in nvidia control panel that worked for some users but it didn't help me.

Guru
Views: 1,042
Message 6 of 6

It's definitely not RAM.
RAM does not affect FPS.
It can affect loading times and cause occasional stutter when your device has to use swap/paging file when it runs out of RAM.
Please make sure your 1050 drivers are up to date.
Also make sure to use "high performance" power profile when gaming. Please note that the laptop will run at full speed only when plugged in to power.
Last thing: follow the KB below to make sure you're utilizing the right GPU.
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Gaming-Laptops-Knowledge-Base/Utilizing-the-NVIDIA-GeForce-Graphics-of-...
====================================
I'm an INsider - not a Lenovo employee.
You can find me in gaming, Ideapad and Thinkpad forums most of the time.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors