Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lenofan14
Punch Card
Views: 4,774
Message 1 of 8

Lenovo y520 no boot option after loading default settings EFI PXE Netowrk

Hello. 

I recently purchased y520 and I had some problems with the hdd running at 100%. After I solved the problem I went to load default bios settings after messing with some settings, I dont know why. Now I only have EFI PXE Network option in both UEFI and Legacy boot mode. I cannot load the iso for windows installer. I recently got onto this page http://pcsupport.lenovo.com/ro/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/500-series/510-15ikb/80sv/downloads/... and there is a line where it says 

1. Fix Boot Option EFI PXE Network will lost after load default setting. 

I didn't know that it was actually a bug. I cannot use this app since it is .exe and I cannot boot anything on this laptop for now. Any ideas?

lenofan14
Punch Card
Views: 4,723
Message 2 of 8

Re: Lenovo y520 no boot option after loading default settings EFI PXE Netowrk

I managed to boot from Windows 7 under Legacy boot mode. It requires me now to install the driver for the AHCI SATA HDD as no hard is shown in the installer. I'm using Lenovo Y520, i7 7700hq 1050ti 1tb 5200rpm hdd and 8gigs of ram ddr4.

I tried partitionguru, easyus and minitool all bootable. I cant format neither or delete the partition because It takes too long over (20min only 1%). Is it dead, do I need to RMA it? Sometimes the hdd goes undetected under bios information. All of these after I chose load defaults settings in BIOS. It had worked good for 2 days..

lenofan14
Punch Card
Views: 4,685
Message 3 of 8

Re: Lenovo y520 no boot option after loading default settings EFI PXE Netowrk only

It looks like no one knows. I will put the problem again, here it is:

1. Installed Win 10 64bit. 

2. Works well for one day

3. HDD shows up 100% usage, freezes and then BSOD appears

4. Going back to BIOS -> load default settings, selected AHCI for the HDD, trying to boot WIN 10 64 installer.

5. No boot option in UEFI with 3 different bootable memory sticks --->> it shows only EFI PXE Network, sometimes the HDD disappears from Information Tab.

6. Tried to put it in Legacy, Both HDD and Memory Stick appear but cannot install WIN 10 with legacy boot option due to incompatibility (stuck at START UP, also runs very SLOW, again 3 different memory sticks)

Any ideas?

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 4,678
Message 4 of 8

Re: Lenovo y520 no boot option after loading default settings EFI PXE Netowrk only

@lenofan14 wrote:

3. HDD shows up 100% usage, freezes and then BSOD appears

5. No boot option in UEFI -- it shows only EFI PXE Network, sometimes the HDD disappears from Information Tab.

From the symptoms, it looks as though the hard disk is faulty.  The standard recommendation would be to run the disk-manufacturer's diagnostic tool to test the disk, but if you cannot boot Windows, I am not sure how you could test the disk without removing it from the laptop and connecting it to another PC (but this might invalidate the laptop's warranty).

If you purchased the laptop new a few days ago, can you return it for exchange or (at least) have the hard disk replaced under warranty?

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

lenofan14
Punch Card
Views: 4,672
Message 5 of 8

I will send it today, I was hoping I could save it before wasting 2-3 weeks in warranty. I also think is the cheap ** 5400rpm hdd which comes with this laptop.

CESSCO-Rick
Paper Tape
Views: 3,824
Message 6 of 8

I don't understand why this was marked as the solution, as it contains zero steps or information. What am I missing? I had this problem of no boot option, and now can't get past the lenovo logo screen to get to bios settings.

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 3,807
Message 7 of 8

@CESSCO-Rick wrote:

I had this problem of no boot option, and now can't get past the lenovo logo screen to get to bios settings.

(1) Power off the laptop.

(2) Press and release the "Novo" button.  The "Novo Button Menu" appears.

The "Novo" button is probably hidden beneath a tiny hole in the casing (the one on my 700-15ISK is like this), and you will need a straightened paper clip or similar to poke through the hole and press the button.

If you cannot find the correct hole, consult your "User Guide" or "Hardware Maintenance Manual".  Both can be downloaded from the support page for your laptop model on this web site.  Scroll to the bottom of this page and click "Manuals" in the "Support" column.

(3) On the "Novo Button Menu", move the focus to "BIOS Setup" and press the RETURN or ENTER key.  The BIOS Setup is displayed.

(4) On the first tab in the BIOS Setup, check to see if your hard disk is recognised.  If it is not listed, it is a good indication that your hard disk is faulty.  If the laptop is still under warranty, you will be eligible to have the disk replaced.  If the laptop warranty has expired, you will need either to replace the hard disk yourself, or pay someone else to do it for you.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

CESSCO-Rick
Paper Tape
Views: 3,804
Message 8 of 8

Thanks CyberSimian. That was exactly my setup. I contacted Lenovo support yesterday and they walked me through it but it still didn't work. They did a test and the video card apparently is not working, so I am sending it today to be repaired. Luckily it is still under warranty.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors