Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Gaming – Lenovo LegionGaming Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

17 Posts

06-27-2017

Egypt

25 Signins

281 Page Views

• Views: 281
  • Message 1 of 4

Lenovo y520 windows 7 drivers

2017-06-27, 15:20 PM

I buy lenovo y520 with win10 but i need to downgrade to win7 but there is a problem drivers of lenovo y520 just compatible with win10 ...

does drivers of win10 also run on win7 ??

http://pcsupport.lenovo.com/eg/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/legion-series/legion-y520-15ikbn/downloads?linkTrack=Caps%3ABody_SearchProduct

Admin Edit: Changed subject in order to better reflect the topic of the discussion.

Answer
Options

811 Posts

07-10-2016

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

3149 Signins

83767 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 83767

Re: Lenovo y520 windows 7 drivers

2017-06-28, 18:22 PM

wrote:

I buy lenovo y520 with win10 but i need to downgrade to win7

Do you realise that Microsoft have refused to provide any updates for Windows 7 on systems that have Kaby Lake processors? Your Y520-15IKB has a Kaby Lake processor, so no Windows 7 updates, ever! I think that you will have difficulty with the Intel drivers too -- they will refuse to install. I recollect someone fixing that by editing the INF file to fool the system into thinking that the driver is compatible. I don't remember where I read that, so you will have to search for the details.

If you are a small business and you need to use Windows 7 because of a business-critical app that does not work on Windows 10, you should consider selling your Kaby Lake laptop and buying a laptop that uses the previous generation processor, which is Sky Lake. Microsoft are continuing to offer Windows 7 updates for Sky Lake systems until support ends in 2020.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Replies(3)
Options

12703 Posts

11-30-2015

Philippines

7389 Signins

752860 Page Views

• Views: 752860
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: Lenovo y520 windows

2017-06-27, 21:41 PM

Hi 5aled10,

Welcome to the Community Forums. 

As some features offered in Windows 10 along with the drivers, there is no guarantee that it would be compatible but doesn't mean it would not allow Windows 7 to run on the machine.

Windows 7 SP1 do offer built-in drivers on its own as offered with both important and optional update and likewise manually searching the drivers from the specific manufacturer of the component through hardware ID can also be done.

Challenge here is not able to utilize features of the model as some may not work and installation of OS need changes in a configuration similar to those that tried it here in this discussion.

I tried to customize an order but there was no option for OS downgrade so it may be better simply using a virtual Windows 7 inside Windows 10 or install it on a different hard drive to preserve the original image.

Hope this help answer your query.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

3628 Posts

04-02-2014

Mexico

2555 Signins

40374 Page Views

• Views: 40374
  • Message 3 of 4

2017-06-28, 17:01 PM

There is no such report and it is difficult that Windows 7 would work well on this laptop.

Is there a specific reason you want to install win 7 on this laptop?

Thanks.

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
Answer
Options

811 Posts

07-10-2016

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

3149 Signins

83767 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 83767
  • Message 4 of 4

2017-06-28, 18:22 PM

wrote:

I buy lenovo y520 with win10 but i need to downgrade to win7

Do you realise that Microsoft have refused to provide any updates for Windows 7 on systems that have Kaby Lake processors? Your Y520-15IKB has a Kaby Lake processor, so no Windows 7 updates, ever! I think that you will have difficulty with the Intel drivers too -- they will refuse to install. I recollect someone fixing that by editing the INF file to fool the system into thinking that the driver is compatible. I don't remember where I read that, so you will have to search for the details.

If you are a small business and you need to use Windows 7 because of a business-critical app that does not work on Windows 10, you should consider selling your Kaby Lake laptop and buying a laptop that uses the previous generation processor, which is Sky Lake. Microsoft are continuing to offer Windows 7 updates for Sky Lake systems until support ends in 2020.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms