Did you mean: 
y70015ISKm2SSD
Punch Card
Views: 3,733
Message 1 of 6

Lenovo y700 15ISK sleep issues with SM951 M.2 NVMe SSD

Specs:

Lenovo Y700 15ISK with Intel Core i5-6300HQ/8GB/1.0TB/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

NVMe SSD:  *MZVPV128HDGM-00000, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA12K3FG3514

BIOS settings all default, just Secure boot and UEFI is on. Tried lots of BIOS settings but none on them help with issues.

WINDOS 10 PRO 64-bit.

Laptop works like a charm with only one HDD.

but when I configure and install windows on SM951 NVME 128gb m.2 ssd (SATA cable unplugged for HDD) laptop  with installed identical updates as on HDD it  can't restart/sthudown/ sleep on NVME ssd..

Anyone had any similar issues with M.2 SSD install ?

I use GPT on both drives (Clean it with DISKPART) and also GPT to UEFI install on Rufus 2.7.

The only strange thing to me that alone laptop with HDD performs as it should with identical drivers installed, but when I plug M.2 SSD it get read speeds of ~1660MB/s but i'ts annoying as hell when I can't restart/shutdown/sleep..

I have option to use only HDD, but then i sooo slow, even my old acer from 2012 with SSD works faster than Y700 with HDD...

This solution didin't helped aswell as power option settings etc...

"Thank you for your help. I have fixed the issue by reseting defaults in the bios menu. and reininstalling energy manager and lenovo utility. I learned this from another forum .

quote:

Turn off the pc and use the Novo key (item 5 page 6) to launch novo menu and choose BIOS set up.

The Exit tab in the BIOS tab would offer load optimal defaults then save and exit then restart .

Uninstall Energy Manager on Programs and Features and download updated version from support site including Lenovo Utility for Windows 10 (64-bit) - Notebook driver.

Within windows , you can try to check for system file integrity using sfc /scannow on elevated CMD ."

Redstorm
Punch Card
Views: 3,711
Message 2 of 6

Re: Lenovo y700 15ISK sleep issues with SM951 M.2 NVMe SSD

You might want to wait till BIOS v30 before you call it fixed.

y70015ISKm2SSD
Punch Card
Views: 3,702
Message 3 of 6

I am just clueless at why my machine doesn't work properly while others with same configurations laptop works like a charm and I am here stuck with HDD 150mb/s speeds while my NVMe which capable of 1,6GB/s is laying in the shelf..

At this point I am just want to set up my machine to work with faster than HDD speeds, will exchanging SM951 NVMe to SATA6 as example 850 evo m.2 ssd will fix the issue ? because NVMe uses PCIE and SATA will be handled with Intel RST.

I think laptop get's lost because SATA is not detected because NVMe uses PCIE port and the light of the disk never blinks that's why it causes restart/sleep/ shutdown issues as I think.

Does SM951 AHCI model appears in Intel RST as Sata drive ?

y70015ISKm2SSD
Punch Card
Views: 3,651
Message 4 of 6

Used Rufus 2.7 with GPT to UEFI boot (image  http://postimg.org/image/u7u5mt1ur/  to install W10 iso.

I install Windows on GTP formatted NVMe drive with DISKPART "convert gtp"

Forgot to mention that my Laptop model is "80NV

UPDATE:

First try with clean Windows 10 Home install disabling internet and updates.

Installing official Lenovo drivers chipset/mei/rst/intel HD. no luck PC can't restart/shutdown/sleep.

Second try: Clean install with networking and all onlyautomatic updates from WINDOWS UPDATE.

No luck again, can't sleep/restart/shutdown.

Third try. Clean install again disabled updates/internet.

Installing only chipset/mei/rst. some luck. can turn off/restart (no sleep)

But when installed intel HD can't sleep/shutdown/restart.

It seems that Intel HD causes the issue.

Fourth try: Clean install with networking. Installing beta version newest Intel HD through DEVICE MANAGER. Again no sleep/shutdown/restart.

Fifth try: Install Intel rst driver via Windows installation (load drivers) option. No luck again...

Sixt try: Clean install and installing and trying with NVMe controller from Samsung link here:

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/support/downloads.html

http://postimg.org/image/4b83neakn/

Seventh try: Update display driver via device manager. No luck

No luck again, still stuck with HDD only.

Any suggestions ? I am thinking to stick AHCI version or SATA6 M.2 SSD instead just to be able to use system normally. Wondering if I will be able to change in the local shop where I bought NVMe.

y70015ISKm2SSD
Punch Card
Views: 3,542
Message 5 of 6

PROBLEM SOLVED:

Quick update on my Shutdown/restart/sleep issues with Lenovo y700 15ISK. Intel/Nvidia.

The NVMe m.2 SM951 ssd which I had was not working with sleep/restart/shutdown:

*MZVPV128HDGM-00000, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA12K3FG3514  

So I installed SSD 850 EVO M.2 120GB instead which is SATA http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/memory-storage/MZ-N5E120BW

it works without problems now. I can sleep/restart and shutdown.

I think the problem was due to faulty hardware, maybe PCIE lanes, but I was too tired already to send it out to warranty and loose only time and nerves. So Instead luckily I managed to switch my NVMe SM951 to SATA EVO 850 in the local shop, it is 4 times slower on specs but in practise NVMe is faster only by ~5sec on boot time.

Now in INTEL RST EVO 850 got discovered as M.2 SSD and finally I can enter sleep mode while on the go.

Dissapointed  by lenovo, before buying NVMe I red forums and people were saying that NVMe was working and yes it was working for me also but with extra not being able to sleep/shutdown/restart. I am pretty sure it's some faulty hardware inside, but hey atleast it works now.

Hope it helps to any of you, if you want to be safe grab any M.2 SATA SSD.

VidocQQ
Serial Port
Views: 2,261
Message 6 of 6

Hi, so restart/sthudown/ sleep on with SM951 M.2 NVMe SSD - WORKED  after reseting defaults in the bios menu. and reininstalling energy manager and lenovo utility ? Or not?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors