Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ktomi96
Punch Card
Views: 7,081
Message 1 of 11

Lenovo y720 fan is too loud

Hello i just recently switched from y520 to y720 i have i7 7700hq and gtx 1060 in it.My main problem is that the laptop is too fan is too loud.When the laptop booting and before loging in the fan noise is quite .After i log in the fans are mutch loader i get 40-50 °C about 3-10%cpu usage.While browsing i get about 20 % loud and the same temps.I have tried holding power button 45 sec and i still get "loud fan noise".

Guru
Views: 7,051
Message 2 of 11

Re: Lenovo y720 fan is too loud

During the initial boot, the fans usually rev up and then quiet down depending on the temperature.

Are the fans loud continuously, even after booting?

Can you check if Extreme Cooling is disabled in Nerve Sense?

If possible, can you make a audio/video of the issue?

Thanks.

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
ktomi96
Punch Card
Views: 7,048
Message 3 of 11

I hope i dont have to rma like the y520.Its quites down after a while but only when the pc is idle,when i even open a tab in chrome fans speeds up again .Will make video out of it.
Guru
Views: 7,045
Message 4 of 11

If you are using the laptop in you lap/bed, without proper air circulation, the fans will try to kick up more. Use it on a desk and keep it propped up at the back as the intake vents are at the bottom rear.

Also, this is a gaming laptop so expecting a low noise environment is pointless. Usually the fans are going to stay between 35-45dB range. On high load, this can go up to 50-55dB.

This can be measured using any smartphone app, but remember that app needs a lot of calibration, a quiet room and measurement about 1 m away from the laptop.

While playing games, music videos I dont even hear the fans (and I am pretty senstive to sounds.)

If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
ktomi96
Punch Card
Views: 7,039
Message 5 of 11

https://goo.gl/photos/NtdqQaG3SZw9bu8x6 here you go.Maybe i got used to y520 .While listening tó music its fine.

Guru
Views: 7,033
Message 6 of 11

Thanks for the video.

As far as I could pick up, the fan only went up when logging in/boot. There was no other instance of it revving up, or maybe the sound was not picked up. I am listening my headphones with full volume.

If that is the case then I would say that is totally normal and you will not find any model that does not do that.

BTW, which keyboard are you using, sounds like Cherry MX red switches.

ktomi96
Punch Card
Views: 7,031
Message 7 of 11

custom made keyboard with cherry mx blue switches Smiley Tongue
Guru
Views: 7,029
Message 8 of 11

That keyboard sounds beautiful. (I am listening to your video just to hear the click clack) I think I might go for blue switches next time, but brown ones are usually cheaper Smiley Tongue (I have Kailh Red right now)

As for the fan sound issue, I think that is normal so I cannot say anything more.

Highlighted
batpox
What's DOS?
Views: 6,143
Message 9 of 11

I ended up here as - after a month of being great - my Legion Y720 fans were suddenly on "full" mode. There was no significant CPU activity leading up to this. The fans are normally *very* quiet, by the way. Also, I have my laptop on a metal "mesh" holder from Amazon, so underneath cooling is never a problem.

My solution was to reboot, and now it is normal again. I post this here for three reasons:

1. Something went wiggy, and I want Lenovo to be aware of it,

2. The "solution" given in this thread is no solution at all. 

3. I want anyone coming here to realize that the Y720 fan noise is normally very quiet (I am also sensitive to noise).

And IMHO, keyboards are also supposed to make the least amount of noise  Smiley Happy  (I use the Logitech K800)

Hopefully, this won't re-occur, as it really freaked me out.

Guru
Views: 6,125
Message 10 of 11

I can confirm that this problem is reproducible and it started happening after I updated my windows to ver 1709 about 4 days ago. I had held off of that update for a while now.

Is your windows on v1709?

I will try to modify some settings over the weekend and see if that quietens the fans. Thanks.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors