Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Gaming – Lenovo LegionGaming Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

8 Posts

05-24-2021

Austria

4 Signins

125 Page Views

• Views: 125
  • Message 1 of 2

Limiting the power and memory frequency of a discrete graphics card when running on battery power

2021-05-24, 20:53 PM

Good afternoon. I have a laptop Lenovo Legion 5: 15", R7 4800H + RTX 2060, DOS. I recently noticed that when working on battery power, regardless of the power mode (quiet, balanced (performance mode is not available when powered by battery)) and regardless of the video card mode (discrete, hybrid), the memory frequency of the discrete video card is limited to 200 MHz and 35W. After a reboot, it happens that the memory runs at a normal frequency and the video card consumption is 50W, but not for long. This raises several questions.
1. What is the memory frequency and what is the power consumption for the RTX 2060 when powered by a battery?

2. If my case is not the norm, then how can I solve the problem?

3. I tried to remove the drivers using DDU and install different versions from the Nvidia website, but I ran into another problem. When installing the driver, the error "This Nvidia graphics driver is not compatible with this version of Windows 10" occurs. Only installation from the Lenovo website and subsequent update with GeForce Experience helps. What is the reason for this?

I will be very grateful for your answers!

Options

2834 Posts

03-11-2020

Greece

326 Signins

14351 Page Views

• Views: 14351
  • Message 2 of 2

Re:Limiting the power and memory frequency of a discrete graphics card when running on battery power

2021-05-25, 10:17 AM

Hi VolgaStalingrad,

Welcome to the Community Forums

What version of Windows 10 are you running ? If you are still on any of the later 1908/1909/2004 versions, then that might be why the latest Nvidia drivers from the Nvidia sites comes up as incompatible, but if you are on 20H2, then I am unsure of why you are getting a Win 10 version incompatibility warning.

Meanwhile here's some things you can try to remedy the issue:

Updating BIOS and Chipset drivers
Make sure you have the latest BIOS, Chipset & Power Management drivers for your device.  
You can find and install the newest drivers from the Lenovo Support Page
Just plot in the serial number of the device and hit enter, might have to press it twice, then head to Drivers & Software then BIOS, Chipset & Power Management section.
**Note: Make sure the AC adapter is connected and that you have at least 30% battery charge when performing these update.

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Private Message; questions belong in the forums.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms