Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Gaming – Lenovo LegionGaming Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

42 Posts

04-30-2021

Netherlands

46 Signins

325 Page Views

• Views: 325
  • Message 1 of 20

Memory OC unavailable in bios? Lenovo legion 7 (2021)

2021-05-15, 20:30 PM

I had updated my bios to the latest version and noticed something new popped up and it said "Memory OC unavailable".

Is this always going to be unavailable or will this become available once i insert XMP ram for an example a Crucial Ballistix BL2K16G32C16S4B?

I want to make sure it will work before i open up my laptop.

Options

4924 Posts

04-23-2019

United States of America

697 Signins

31240 Page Views

• Views: 31240
  • Message 2 of 20

Re:Memory OC unavailable in bios? Lenovo legion 7 (2021)

2021-05-17, 4:37 AM

Hello @rickje149,

Thanks for reaching out.

I checked the BIOS update readme file and it only notes that the GPU OC notification was added in the BIOS.

There was no indication of adding Memory OC or XMP options at this time.

Source: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/ph/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/legion-series/legion-7-16achg6/downloads/driver-list/component?name=BIOS%2FUEFI

Regards,

Jack_Lenovo1

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

42 Posts

04-30-2021

Netherlands

46 Signins

325 Page Views

• Message 3 of 20

2021-05-17, 16:37 PM

But why is there a Memory OC option then?

I updated from the bios version before the latest and it wasn't showing that in there and it does show in the latest without being in the changelog.

Does this feature work and what does it exactly do? Does it enable XMP or does it do something else?

Options

4924 Posts

04-23-2019

United States of America

697 Signins

31240 Page Views

• Message 4 of 20

2021-05-20, 13:27 PM

Hello @rickje149,

Sorry for the late reply.

I have checked and Memory OC is linked to XMP which would be the reason why it is marked as unavailable in the BIOS.

As of this time I am pretty sure there is no way to enable XMP short of BIOS modification which would be risky if research is not done beforehand.

This is because the values determined by the BIOS of your machine is the approved configurations by the engineering team both as safety and performance buffer.

Regards,

Jack_Lenovo1

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

42 Posts

04-30-2021

Netherlands

46 Signins

325 Page Views

• Message 5 of 20

2021-05-22, 17:07 PM

So i have to check whether the ram is "approved" by the engineers?

So all XMP SODIMM ram modules do not work on memory OC, only the approved ones?

How do i check whether the ram module i have is supported?

I want to know whether this ram type will work with memory OC:

BL2K16G32C16S4B

Options

42 Posts

04-30-2021

Netherlands

46 Signins

325 Page Views

• Message 6 of 20

2021-05-26, 14:33 PM

I have inserted the XMP ram and the option did not change.

With XMP ram in the machine, the option kept telling me "not available", Why even have this icon in the bios when there is no way to actually enable it??

It is extremely confusing seeing this icon, it makes people think XMP is possible, but once they have gone out their way to buy the ram and go through the process to insert it into the laptop, they find out its still not possible.

Add the ability to enable XMP when the option is showing there or add some additional information, because now i have lost 200 euro because of this gamble.

Options

4924 Posts

04-23-2019

United States of America

697 Signins

31240 Page Views

• Message 7 of 20

2021-05-28, 14:44 PM

Hello @rickje149,

Sorry for the late reply.

I apologize for the confusion. What I meant about approved values by the engineering team is that the current configuration and settings available in the machine are the options allowed by the engineering team.

This does not mean that the XMP option is now available for this machine since it's set to unavailable.

Regards,

Jack_Lenovo1

Options

42 Posts

04-30-2021

Netherlands

46 Signins

325 Page Views

• Message 8 of 20

Why is my memory COMPLETELY different compared to reviewers?

2021-06-24, 9:11 AM

I had noticed that reviewers are getting different memory kits in their device and find this unacceptable.

Ram has a MAJOR performance impact on ryzen processors yet somehow its being cheaped out on.

issue 1:

The ram kit in my laptop is single ranked memory, this is a major no go for a device made purely for performance.

Dual ranked memory alone gives ryzen a 20% performance boost over single ranked memory.

issue 2:

My ram timings are almost doubled compared to reviewers, this results in an even worse latency.

issue 3:

There is no way to turn off impactful settings which i love to do as an IT person.

I would have disabled power down mode, enabled XMP and forced fixed values when connected to a power outlet as i planned to be using this device as a desktop replacement.

issue 4:

The infinity fabric is constantly desyncing even under load:

When you run a test like cinebench, the 3 clocks which are meant to run in a 1:1 ratio are synced at 1600, but sometimes it pops a 10mhz underneath 1600 and when that happens the 3 values are slightly different causing them to desync and run in a 2:1 ratio.

This causes a massive performance hit.

I myself have overclocked my ram on my desktop for daily use to 3733-cl14 100% stable, but going from there to ram that has been cheaped out this much is insane.

I already were wondering why everything was running so so SO much slower compared to my desktop, even my older laptop which currently is dieing loads stuff faster than this laptop.

It isn't worth it spending another 200 dollars for a brand new 32gb's ram kit just to solve these issues after buying an already expensive machine (which was supposed to be made for pure performance)

What i'd like to see change is this:

1. Allow the average IT person to enable XMP profiles with a warning.

i know the risks of what can happen from overclocking ram, files can corrupt and the worst thing that can happen is your device being trapped in a boot loop, but that shouldn't really matter that much because the timings are set soo lose anyway.

2. Allow the average IT person to turn their device into a desktop replacement.

Whenever im plugged into a wall, i dont care about power saving and i want pure performance.

By disabling power down mode and setting a fixed fclk clock in the bios, ram performance can jump up extremely high.

3. Possibly make an advanced bios X2 for more advanced average IT persons.

Imagine a second advanced tab which can only be accessed by entering a combination, but this time instead of keeping it secret its posted to people asking for it here on the forum.

That way we can get acces to less dangerous bios settings which impact performance by a lot and dont easily brick the entire system such as enabling XMP, being able to disable settings like power down mode on the ram, force fixed values while plugged into the wall, etc.

This way we wont have complains and keep buying lenovo products, if we're left in the dust why should we even bother picking up the product then?

Everyone who visits the forums and complains about not being able to edit settings in the bios which barely have any chance of bricking the machine is going to leave the lenovo brand or return their product most likely due to literally every setting being locked in the bios.

I am upset and annoyed that i had to lose 200 euro ontop of buying this machine due to everything being locked and the label "memory OC" in the bios causing confusion thinking its possible to enable XMP.

I still have the memory kit so i would kindly aprecciate for the engineers to allow me to set the XMP profile and add some of the things i suggested aswell so that my experience is not impacted from this anymore.

Proof of someone else having the same issue with his legion 5:

Lenovo Legion 5 Pro RAM ... Lenovo are you for real?-English Community

My product:

Lenovo legion 7 16achg6

Options

4924 Posts

04-23-2019

United States of America

697 Signins

31240 Page Views

• Message 9 of 20

Re:Why is my memory COMPLETELY different compared to reviewers?

2021-06-24, 14:13 PM

Hello @rickje149,

Thanks for sharing your recommendations for the machine.

Our machines are already pre configured from the factory to perform at peak performance. XMP is unfortunately not a feature added to the gaming machines.

Regards,

Jack_Lenovo1

Options

42 Posts

04-30-2021

Netherlands

46 Signins

325 Page Views

• Message 10 of 20

Re:Why is my memory COMPLETELY different compared to reviewers?

2021-06-24, 14:41 PM

But why does the bios show a Memory OC option then?

This is the menu where you configure the GPU and CPU overclock.

These buttons and settings for configuring the CPU OC, GPU OC are at the same place where the label for the Memory OC is, so people will obvously think its a working feature but the hardware check is missing.

Memory OC shows as "unavailable" and unavailable even when you insert XMP ram into the laptop, so thats really confusing as it just looks like it does support it.

Ram quality and tuning can massively impact ryzen CPU's their performance.

Aidav3.png

Games2.png

Keep in mind that this is just going from CL18 to CL14 and it already gave an additional 25 FPS at 1080P,

imagine what the impact will by by going from CL22 all the way to CL16, thats an additional 2 cycles being shaved off there.

Both the primary timings and secondary timings are set extremely loose of the ram sticks.

TRFC has the biggest impact on performance on ryzen, yet in every legion 5 and legion 7 that is not sent to a reviewer its ram sticks have a TRFC value of 880.

The TRFC value on the ram sticks in the laptops literally go over the extremee minimum for the absolute worst die type in this list! People are buying ram modules with 1.2v that has a trfc of 560 and thats a base value for sold products, it could probably go even tighter than that!

Why did the reviewers get an unit with actual quality ram sticks instead of the same ram sticks we received?

In VR, latency and 1% / 99% lows matter a LOT.

If you're sensitive to laggy motion or random spikes/dips you'd be thowing up already after a minute of playing in the headset.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms