Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Linux Operating SystemsOther Linux Discussions
All Forum Topics
Options

8 Posts

07-05-2021

Denmark

17 Signins

85 Page Views

• Views: 85
  • Message 1 of 11

No Linux console on external monitor connected to Legion Y540-15IRH when using switchable graphics

2021-07-05, 15:41 PM

Hi, I have a Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH 81SX 81SX0008MX laptop which I have installed Linux Arch on. The laptop uses the Optimus technology and has a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti Mobile discrete GPU as well as an Intel CoffeeLake-H GT2 [UHD Graphics 630] integrated GPU.

I would like to make the tty login screen show on my external monitor when I boot up my laptop. I can achieve that by setting my laptop to use discrete graphics in the UEFI and using the kernel parameter nvidia-drm.modeset=1. If I do not set the kernel parameter (but still use discrete graphics) then I do not see the tty login screen on my external monitor at boot up, but it appears on the external monitor if I switch to another virtual console using Alt+F2 after having entered an Xorg display server.

However, I would like to use switchable graphics so I can save battery when the discrete GPU is not needed. In this case I have not been successful in making the tty login screen appear at all on the external monitor. Neither at boot up or after entering an Xorg display server. The Xorg display server itself does appear on the external monitor. Do you have an idea how this can be solved?

This is the output of cat /proc/fb when using switchable graphics:
0 i915drmfb

This is the output of cat /proc/fb when using discrete graphics:
0 EFI VGA

I have made a post here some time ago trying to solve it without success unfortunately: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=260744

I have also made a post at the NVIDIA forum here: https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/how-to-show-tty-login-screen-on-external-monitor-when-using-switchable-graphics/182256

According to generix from the NVIDIA forum the only way to solve the problem would be to make an update to the UEFI firmware such that the external monitor is handed over from the UEFI firmware if plugged in. This is due to that the kernel displays the console on the device it gets handed over from the UEFI firmware.

Would you be willing to make such an update to the firmware? Preferably I would like to get only output on the external monitor and not the laptop screen, when the external monitor is plugged in.

Moderator comment: Moved to the proper forum. (NateS)

Options

8 Posts

07-05-2021

Denmark

17 Signins

85 Page Views

• Message 2 of 11

Re:No Linux console on external monitor connected to Legion Y540-15IRH when using switchable graphics

2021-07-09, 14:17 PM

Could I please get an answer?

Options

1378 Posts

05-14-2020

United States of America

588 Signins

7130 Page Views

• Views: 7130
  • Message 3 of 11

Re:No Linux console on external monitor connected to Legion Y540-15IRH when using switchable graphics

2021-07-09, 16:30 PM

Hello,

This is a peer to peer forum, persons who post here are simply fellow users of computers, most likely using Lenovo equipment, but that is not required.  :-   Hardly any posters are Lenovo employees.  I am not.  It has been a long time since tty interface to command consoles was common.  I barely remember the terminology.

Under Linux exactly how video signals are handled between the actual computer and the final display device depends on quite a few factors.  So the solution to your specific configuration is unlikely to apply in general to any other configuration.  :(

So regarding your reference to console, I THINK you want to access the basic "virtual terminal" systems that exist outside the graphical desktop environment.  And/or invoke an external tty remote login interface that used to be ubiquitous before graphical desktop environments became almost universal.

To build up to that scenario, have you tried setting the system to FIRST boot to the Linux OS itself, before initiating the graphical system?  In the old System V designation these were called "run levels."  I don't remember the progression exactly, so some similarity to "run level 1 = single user system administrator"  run level 2 = single user allowing login by user in addition to root"  run level 3 = multi-user just one console,   and so forth....

So then after entering command console virtual terminal run level, the tty should interface with that.  After log in then issue commands to start the graphical environment if desired,  for x-org that used to be "startx"

I hope this helps!

Usedtoberich

Options

8 Posts

07-05-2021

Denmark

17 Signins

85 Page Views

• Message 4 of 11

2021-07-09, 17:32 PM

Thank you for the reply.

Maybe I have not been clear enough with my description of my problem or maybe I do not understand your answer completely. My problem is not that I cannot get the TTY login screen to appear at all. It appears on my laptop monitor when I boot up my laptop. The problem is that I cannot get it to appear on the external monitor I have connected to my laptop when using switchable graphics.

I use the TTY login screen to log in to my system instead of using a display manager. When I am at home I use my laptop with the lid closed and connected to an external monitor. It is therefore a problem when the TTY login screen does not get shown on the external monitor.

Options

1378 Posts

05-14-2020

United States of America

588 Signins

7130 Page Views

• Views: 7130
  • Message 5 of 11

2021-07-09, 18:28 PM

OK, to help get me understanding your issue:

Step 1:  Linux kernel is running in multiuser mode, looking for user login-password activity.   (Additional users could be concurrently using the system at this time, Linux is a time-sharing operating system.)

Step 2:  What program is active waiting to accept the user name input?   (Under KDE Plasma it could be a terminal program such as "Konsole")  Or is it a "virtual terminal" provided by the Linux kernel.    This is accessed under X-org by typing crtl-alt-F[2-9]  Approximately 10 virtual terminal sessions are available from the linux kernel.  Each one is treated as a separate independent user session.

Communication of keyboard sequences and screen graphics use completely different drivers and software intermediates, depending on whether using kernel supplied virtual terminal interface, or software application supplied graphical user interface environment.

Also is there a docking station involved, or is keyboard and desired monitor directly connected via wire to USB port and HDMI port?  Bluetooth keyboard adds more complexity. :(

Sincerely,

Usedtoberich

Options

8 Posts

07-05-2021

Denmark

17 Signins

85 Page Views

• Message 6 of 11

2021-07-09, 19:05 PM

The Linux kernel is running in multi user mode, looking for user login-password activity and it is a virtual terminal provided by the Linux kernel that waits for the user name input at boot up. No docking station is involved, the keyboard and monitor are directly connected to the laptop by USB and DisplayPort.

Options

29 Posts

03-06-2021

Greece

28 Signins

260 Page Views

• Views: 260
  • Message 7 of 11

2021-07-09, 19:48 PM

If I recall correctly, on Thinkpads you can set the UEFI monitor with the "Boot monitor" option (might not be called exactly that). Setting it to USB-C, I can boot to grub and to xdm on my USB-C monitor with the laptop lid closed, otherwise you have to open the lid to get the external monitor to work. I guess you don't have the equivalent option on the Legion (I also have DP and HDMI think), in which case your only option is its addition to the BIOS, which unfortunately is something not very likely to happen soon.

Options

8 Posts

07-05-2021

Denmark

17 Signins

85 Page Views

• Message 8 of 11

2021-07-10, 14:10 PM

No I do not have an equivalent option on my Legion. Do you know how I can contact Lenovo about if they are willing to make such an addition to the BIOS?

Options

29 Posts

03-06-2021

Greece

28 Signins

260 Page Views

• Views: 260
  • Message 9 of 11

2021-07-10, 22:21 PM

I guess if Linux is not an option on your Legion it might be hard to get something like that. @MarkRHPearson will probably know a lot more than me on that matter, though.

Options

887 Posts

07-22-2019

Canada

539 Signins

6626 Page Views

• Views: 6626
  • Message 10 of 11

2021-07-11, 1:16 AM

Hi,

Afraid the Legion platforms aren't part of our Linux program so I don't get to see them and don't know the team. Wish the platforms were Linux certified - I'd love to play with one :)

I'll check if the Thinkpad BIOS team know anybody on the Legion side who can help - but afraid it's a long shot based on previous experiences. Sorry :(

As an aside - if you get the purchase questionaire 90 days after purchase let them know you want Linux support (I'm guessing as it seems to be an older platform that it's not a new purchase though). Post in Legion forums that you want Linux support so that product team will see. Maybe we can add support for future platforms (it really does work....we have some new platforms in our line-up for next year based purely on customer feedback)

mark

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms