Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Gaming – Lenovo LegionGaming Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

11-01-2020

Canada

9 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 1 of 3

Nvidia GTX1060 error\repair loop on Legion Y720

2021-01-24, 23:53 PM

Hi everyone, very sad today... I was playing a game and the screen froze then the computer rebooted. It would always boot into repair mode and repair mode doesn't fix anything, it keeps going back into repair mode.

I re-installed windows and am able to boot and use the computer, however, in device manager the  GTX1060 has an error code 43. When I install the Nvidia experience to load the driver for it then reboot , it boots back into the blue repair screen again. :(

I opened the laptop, unplugged the battery, pressed the power button 20 seconds and waited an hour, then booted into safe mode and ran the display driver uninstaller (DDU) but same results after rebooting, the card has error 43 and driver install starts the repair screen.

Fetching the drivers myself (instead of through the experience software) and trying to install them I get an error saying it doesn't find that video card.

in the There isn't any new BIOS update on the lenovo website for it. My sister has the same make model and hers still works fine so I don't think it is a windows update.

I don't see any settings to enable or disable the card in the BIOS.

The laptop is only 2 years old.

What else can I try?

Thanks.

Options

53 Posts

12-28-2020

Canada

48 Signins

650 Page Views

• Views: 650
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:Nvidia GTX1060 error\repair loop on Legion Y720

2021-01-25, 0:31 AM

A quick search with Google, I just hope you did not burnt your GPU.

https://windowsreport.com/windows-10-error-code-43-video-card/#:~:text=The%20error%20code%2043%20is,card%20is%20free%20from%20dust

If the GPU is now bricked or faulty, your only option is to replace the mother board.  If it is under warranty, contact Lenovo service center to book a repair.  Here is an example of a customer who was using Dell.

https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron/Inspiron-7577-Nvidia-GTX-1060-Max-Q-Code-43-Error/td-p/6102941

You could try to do couple of quick tests.

1) In BIOS, switch display device between "discrete" and "switchable" (I own Y530 and Y540, so not sure about Y720) <= naming maybe different on yours.

2) If you can boot up normally into Windows when display device is set to "switchable" (meaning GTX and Intel is running at the same time), you can try uninstalling all Nvidia drivers and software.

3) Download the Lenovo Nvidia driver for your model.  It might not be the latest, but it is the safest to check on your GPU for stability.

Since it seems the error code is hardware issue related, I hope I am wrong, you might want to check with your warranty quickly if it is not expired.

Hope this help.  This is a community forum and I am an user like yourself.

You should obtain technical support from Lenovo service center as the main resources.

Options

4627 Posts

12-11-2015

United States of America

4685 Signins

53767 Page Views

• Views: 53767
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:Nvidia GTX1060 error\repair loop on Legion Y720

2021-01-25, 0:35 AM

If your sister's is still working, I would look to see what drivers her laptop is using, and compare that the drivers you are using on your laptop.    If they are not the same, then I would try to find the version(s) she is using.

• Right-click Start >> Device Manager
  • Left-click to expand Display Adapters
  • Right-click on your Intel HD Graphics 630 >> Properties
  • Click on the Driver Tab and note driver Provider, Date and Version information
  • Repeat the process for the NVIDIA GTX 1060

The onboard Intel and discrete Nvidia graphics work together, so try to match them the best you can using the ones available on Lenovo's website.

Also compare the exact build of Windows installed on each system

• Right-click on Start and select System.
  • Scroll down in the right pane to the Windows Specifications section and not the OS Build number

If everything is the same, then you may want to run a Hardware Diagnostics Scan using Lenovo Vantage to see if it can detect a problem with the card.

Best of luck, 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms