Did you mean: 
aljosa1
Punch Card
Views: 3,625
Message 1 of 10

PROBLEM: BIOS UPDATE FOR LENOVO Y700-17ISK Laptop

Dear Lenovo Staff,
I'm experiencing multiple issues running Ubuntu on Lenovo Y700-17ISK laptop:
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Linux-Discussion/Problems-running-Ubuntu-on-Lenovo-Y700-17ISK/td-p/3278...

At the end, I installed Windows 10 alongside with Ubuntu 16.04 only because of BIOS updating.
During the last month or two, it was impossible to find any BIOS file on 'Y700-17ISK Laptop - Lenovo Support' web page.
Today I finally found a new BIOS update file: Released 7/18/2016, Version CDCN35WW.

But when - hoping to solve problems running Ubuntu on Lenovo Y700 - I attempted to install this latest BIOS update file through Windows 10, I got the following error message: "the version of ROM file is the same as that of BIOS".

And then I found this forum post (05-18-2016):
"Please be advised that Lenovo is in the process of removing the BIOS CDCN35WW for ideapad Y700-15ISK, Y700 Touch-15ISK, and Y700-17ISK laptops in response to customer reports that the software does not execute as expected. Once the issue has been corrected, CDCN35WW or a newer version of the BIOS will be made available".

Once the issue has been corrected, CDCN35WW version of the BIOS will be made available again????????
So I downgraded my BIOS CDCN35WW to BIOS CDCN30WW, and after that I installed again BIOS CDCN35WW - everything went well, but now my BIOS shows it is CDCN30WW version???

I would be very grateful for any help, thanks in advance.

michuf
Punch Card
Views: 3,512
Message 2 of 10

Re: PROBLEM: BIOS UPDATE FOR LENOVO Y700-17ISK Laptop

My Bios is CDCN34WW so I did upgrade to version CDCN35WW (latest from 18.07.2016) installation went very good,no errors or problems diuring instalation proces but after rebot my computer shows that I'am still on CDCN34WW version.

What's i should do now...?

dion29
What's DOS?
Views: 3,488
Message 3 of 10

I have the same BIOS version and the same problem. Does anybody know how to solve it?

michuf
Punch Card
Views: 3,470
Message 4 of 10

Installation going to fast,it's just a second and then showing that everything i went fine....just rebot your computer. Very strange for me....

JosbelLuna
Paper Tape
Views: 3,305
Message 5 of 10

I have the something like this but in a worst situation, I have an Lenovo Y-700 Touch-15ISK and after that update nothing goes right, The keyboard is turned off, the computer didn't turn off, sometimes the operative system does not load, sometimes the bios doesn't load, The power management crash as the Windows's bluescreen said to me, and I don't have a way to fix it.

I uninstalled my drivers, I uninstalled my operating system and nothing goes, problems still happening and then I realize that this update was done in the same date that my computer crashed, and more people are suffering like me.

I need a previous version to back flash the bios but I can't find it because the lenovo support page just have the latest one, I really feel frustrated because I can't use my laptop for nothing.

My current bios version is CDCN35WW and please provide me a way to fix this bios problems, .exe is not a way because I uninstalled the OS and I couldn't install it again. Provide me a .iso for a booteable usb or another no-OS solution could be good. A Linux solution could works too, because Ubuntu is the only OS that I could install without problems.

aljosa1
Punch Card
Views: 3,290
Message 6 of 10

Hi JosbelLuna, here you can download previous BIOS file:
https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles/cdcn30ww.exe

JosbelLuna
Paper Tape
Views: 3,252
Message 7 of 10

Thanks but actually I cannot run windows on my laptop, there's not a way to install it from an usb like a .iso or something for linux?

aljosa1
Punch Card
Views: 3,230
Message 8 of 10

I can only suggest you to try the following in order to install Windows again:

- wipe (secure erase) your entire ssd/hard drive;

- inside BIOS enable optimized defaults, load deafult settings and after that exit by saving settings;

- inside BIOS enable 'bios back flash', disable 'intel platform trust technology', choose 'boot mode uefi', disable 'fast boot', disable 'secure boot', 'restore factory keys', 'reset to setup mode (clear pk)', after that exit by saving settings;

- enter once again BIOS and check if all settings are ok;

- through Ubuntu live cd (GParted Partition Manager) first choose GPT as a partitioning scheme and after that create and format one NTFS partition (seize arround 50% of your ssd/hard drive);

- install windows 10;

- if everything is ok don't flash BIOS but wait for the new one, and you can install Ubuntu (16.04.1) alongside Windows 10 (first chechk in BIOS if 'secure boot' and 'fast boot' are disabled.

jvyrus
Paper Tape
Views: 784
Message 9 of 10

Thank you very much for providing this download! This helped me fix my issue (after updating bios, my hdd password didn't work), so I reverted bios to this version.
duper
What's DOS?
Views: 255
Message 10 of 10

Interesting PC configuration:
Dual boot: Linux and Windows, where Win is used as the only solution to upgrade the Bios. :-D

The OS used as an app.

Funny thing is that their experts don't even participate in this forum.

Having only exe file to upgrade your hardware is like beeing able to clean your keyboard only with Microsoft brush :-D.

Funny company Lenovo.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors