Options

6 Posts

06-29-2018

IN

8 Signins

67 Page Views

• Views: 67
  • Message 1 of 10

Problem with NVIDIA GTX 960m. Detected but not properly working.

2018-06-29, 9:12 AM

Hello community, I'm experiencing some problem with my GPU, I've spent the last 3 days online searching for a possible solution and did (almost) anything I could do. And of course I did not solve the problem.

I hope it won't be too long for you but I have to explain in details what's going on.

I have a Lenovo Y50-70:
CPU Intel Core i7-4720HQ, 3500 MHz
OS Windows 8.1 64 bit
RAM 16 GB
GPU NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

I am on a 24" Samsung external monitor because the original broke just one week ago. Connected through HDMI cable. The external monitor is running just as the original monitor was running: 1080p resolution, 60 Hz.

I usually use OpenHardwareMonitor to keep an eye on the sensors and their values. BTW, just one week ago I realized that my GPU is detected in Device Manager and correctly working but actually is not properly working.

I realized this after trying to play a couple of games I used to play before at high settings. Now I have to set everything to Low and disable lots of options in graphics settings.

On HWM the temperature keeps on staying around 50 °C, even when playing games.

I tried different things:
1. I uninstalled the NVIDIA driver and everytghin related to it and performed a completely clean reinstallation. Nothing happened.
2. I uninstalled the Intel Graphics driver and reinstalled them. Nothing happened.
3. I uninstalled both NVIDIA and Intel Graphics drivers. Nothing happened.
4. I set High Performance in NVIDIA Control Panel, both in Global Settings and in Program Settings. Nothing.
5. I run games through the "run with graphic processor/high-performance NVIDIA processor" in right click menu. Nothing.
6. I set the power options to High Performance.
7. I did not try a clean installation of Windows 8.1 only because at the moment I'm using this (only) laptop for working and can't waste time for a backup and reinstall. I might do this in the future but I have a feeling that it's not the OS. Plus, lots of people online did this without solving the problem.

I don't understand what more can I do. I've searched for anything. Basically my GPU is not working but it's "ON". Games keep on running on the Intel Graphic Card but won't switch to NVIDIA GPU.

Two more things:

1. I upgraded the OS to Windows 10 shortly after the purchase, somewhere 3 years ago. Unluckily, in January of this year the internal HD broke and I managed to create a recovery drive, on my portable USB. When I installed the new HD and ran the recovery, I found out that now I had Windows 8.1, just as I was turning my laptop on for the first time. But this time without the possibility to upgrade to 10. It seems like I have this problem with the GPU since I changed the HD.

2. I sent the laptop for assistance once, I was having some flickering and flashing problem with the screen. They gave it back to me telling me that they changed the screen and updated the BIOS. When I went for the assistance, the laptop was already running on Windows 10.

Now, my guess could be:

1. Is it the cable, somehow making a bad contact and needs to be reset in place?
2. Is it a driver problem but, for some reason unknown to me, it's still not working?
3. Is it just that the GPU is broken? Do i have to cry?

Let me say something in the end. I know that this laptop has lots and lots of problems. I started to have problems just when the warranty expired. Broken HD, broken plastic hinge and others. I know it was not the best idea to buy this laptop but as long as it's working, I want to keep it and use it and solve the problems I can actually solve. I never repaired the hinge, I took out the broken monitor, detached it from the laptop and now I'm using an external monitor as only monitor (primary).

If any good soul knows what I am facing here, any advice would be really appreciated.

I thank you in advance for reading this. If anything just ask, I might have forgot some info about the laptop.

Solved! See the solution
Options

6 Posts

06-29-2018

IN

8 Signins

67 Page Views

• Message 2 of 10

Re: Problem with NVIDIA GTX 960m. Detected but not properly working.

2018-07-02, 13:00 PM
Anyone?
Options

19 Posts

06-26-2018

PH

38 Signins

407 Page Views

• Views: 407
  • Message 3 of 10

2018-07-03, 2:04 AM

hi. did you do a fresh OS installation?

By the way, a nearly broken GPU will actually lose the graphics when installed with the driver. I have experienced that on my GTX 560 when one day I was playing skyrim and the screen goes black, restarted the PC then played again. It happened again every time I play very high graphic games such as skyrim and fallout for.

I did a fresh OS installtion. The PC booted up and it was on the desktop screen without the NVidia drivers but when I was about to install the GPU driver, the screen suddenly went black and the fan of the GPU is spinning very fast and noisy. I attempted to recover it many times until I got a garbage display. Well that's it for my GPU, Good bye.

By the way, same scenario with yours. high temperatures under normal conditions. Max temp for GTX 560 under load is 70C normal. Mine went to 90C closely to 100C. My PC is well ventilated with coolings and necessities.

Options

6 Posts

06-29-2018

IN

8 Signins

67 Page Views

• Message 4 of 10

2018-07-03, 12:24 PM

Oh no, the scenario is completely different.

First of all, I don't experience any black screen. My problem is that the GPU keeps on staying in a "sort-of-idle" mode and doesn't do anything. I did not try yet a fresh OS installation at the moment, but I might do that, even if online, those who were having this same issue, did not resolve anything with re-installing Windows.

By the way, I have a screenshot taken from Open Hardware Monitor, a free software that check temperatures and clocks and other stuff of your computer.

This is what I have while playing Binding of Isaac, but it's actually the same when I do any other thing that does not involve GPU usage.

The Clock part, on top:

Top Line (Blue) is GPU Core, oscillating between those two fixed values, 135 MHz and 405 MHz
Middle Line (Greenish) is GPU Memory, stuck on 405 MHz and not moving.
Top Line (Brown/Yellow-ish) is GPU Shader. It goes with the same oscillations of the GPU Core, between 270 MHz and 810 MHz.

The temperatures as you can see are "high" but it's normal I suppose because the game is using the Intel Graphic Processor. When I don't play, like now that I am writing, the temperatures are around 50°C, normal value.

I don't know if the Optimus Settings are broken and my laptop is not switching to the NVIDIA GPU for games, or simply the GPU is broken and cannot load anything. But honestly, I don't have experience with broken GPU.

Anyway, again, I don't have any black screen, any error, any critical temperatures, any fan going fast-and-noisy, anything at all.

The only thing I have noticed a couple of days ago is this:

I ran the Intel Driver and Support Assistant. It automatically scans my laptop for driver updates and gives me also information about the system. Well, it says that the NVIDIA GTX 960m is "OFFLINE", but the status is "This device is working properly."

That's a mystery.

Options

1456 Posts

06-08-2013

BE

2002 Signins

20058 Page Views

• Views: 20058
  • Message 5 of 10

2018-07-04, 5:23 AM

Consider updating to Windows 10 and update the BIOS.

If that doesn't work, try a live USB of Ubuntu, and setup bumblebee. After that open a terminal and type 'optirun gears'. Then check if your graphics card is being used. You can usually tell by the difference in frame rate.

Kind regards,

Jonas Hendrickx

Lenovo Insider, Windows Insider MVP

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Looking to buy a Lenovo machine? Find your country

Belgium | Canada | Finland | France | Germany | Netherlands | Sweden | U.K. | U.S.A.

Options

6 Posts

06-29-2018

IN

8 Signins

67 Page Views

• Message 6 of 10

2018-07-04, 9:57 AM

How do I update to Windows 10?

When I lost my previous HD, I made a recovery drive of Windows 10. But when I recovered it on the new HD, I ended up with Windows 8 with no option to upgrade.

Options

292 Posts

08-27-2016

GR

1471 Signins

7217 Page Views

• Views: 7217
  • Message 7 of 10

2018-07-04, 15:01 PM
A quick fix could be static discharge: While the laptop is on and without AC press and hold the power button untill the laptop shuts down and keep it pressed for 30 more seconds.

I am a volunteer in this forum and also a lenovo user. If i helped you, click on the kudos button!

Options

6 Posts

06-29-2018

IN

8 Signins

67 Page Views

• Message 8 of 10

2018-07-05, 10:09 AM

So.... I upgraded the OS last night, from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, using the Windows Media Creation Tool. No clean installation, just the upgrade, and I kept all my personal files. I also kept the license, since I upgraded my system to Win10 somewhere 2 years ago.

The issue is completely gone. The NVIDIA GPU is working again, but I honestly don't know why. Maybe it's the BIOS, that was updated while the machine was running on Windows 10, or the chipset, I am really not sure. By the way, if anyone had the same problem, that's what worked for me.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

0 Posts

01-22-2020

US

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 9 of 10

2020-01-30, 18:48 PM

I had similar issues recently, but I found that if my laptop booted while charging, it wouldn't be recognized.

When booting only on battery power, is the 960M able to come up all the way to work.

After i boot into windows, I then can plug in my charger if i need power.

Options

292 Posts

08-27-2016

GR

1471 Signins

7217 Page Views

• Views: 7217
  • Message 10 of 10

2020-01-30, 19:16 PM

I 've found that the issue stops if i set bios in "legacy mode" and "uefi first"

I am a volunteer in this forum and also a lenovo user. If i helped you, click on the kudos button!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms