Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Katukass
Fanfold Paper
Views: 234
Message 1 of 2

Problems with a brand new Legion Y530

My specs: i5 8300H, GTX 1060 6 GB, 8 gb of RAM

CPU is 75 up to 90 degrees celsius while playing CS:GO on high or medium and fans are extremely loud. I mean, it is just CS:GO.

I got this warning:

Your cpu temperature has exceeded 83 degrees. Prolonged use at this temperature may shorten the CPU's lifespan.

Battlefield 1 is unplayble even on low settings. I am afraid of trying The Witcher 3.

It is even kind of loud when I am doing light stuff. Like using MS Word or Mozilla Firefox.

I used a desktop before. Is supposed to be like that? Are all the Y530s like this? What is the right thing to do? Should I return the computer?

Sorry for bad English.

Luna_
Fanfold Paper
Views: 161
Message 2 of 2

Re: Problems with a brand new Legion Y530

Hey there,

I had this exact same issue playing Cities: Skylines - CPU temperatures would reach 90 degrees celsius (I have the same laptop as you, just the GTX 1050TI)! I've recently bought Friday the 13th and I had the same issues where the CPU temperature would reach the 90s. I found a solution, though! The only way you can lower your temps is through undervolting, and trust me, I was afraid of doing that ever since I got my brand new laptop. However, that is honestly the best way to do so (other than replacing the thermal paste which is more of a hassle), and it is even recommended so your laptop can last longer. Now, the highest temperatures I've recently reached were 80 degrees (85 if I play long enough), but it usually now stays around 65-75 degrees celsius, which is a BIG different since it usually stayed around 85-95. I just hate I didn't do it earlier since I usually prevented myself from gaming due to the high temps. 

Here's the video that helped me undervolt, it's a really a simple step! Just download Intel Extreme Tuning Utility and follow what he does: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXRWQqWXmaA&t=8s

As a reference, I was able to undervolt my laptop to -.140 V with the same specs as you (i5 8300H). I haven't tried any higher. Hope your temperatures lower as well!

Edit: As for the fan issue, it's normal! Unfortunately, you're going to have to deal with the fan sound while gaming, but I've been able to game pretty well with earbuds.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors