Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Gaming – Lenovo LegionGaming Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

03-17-2020

Sweden

2 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 1 of 5

Product Recovery stuck

2020-03-17, 15:56 PM

Hello,

I am trying to restore the Windows 10 Home operating system to the Lenovo factory default for my Legion Y540-15IRH type 81SX laptop with the help of an USB Recovery Key. However the process has been stuck for many hours at almost complete, see photo.

I tried to shrink my Windows C: partition with GParted Live-USB a couple of days ago, to install and dual boot Linux. But after shrinking the C: partition, I couldn't boot Windows. I got the message "Automatic Repair couldn't repair your PC"

I then tried to repair the boot process with a Windows USB recovery drive created on my ASUS Windows 10 desktop PC. However after trying various repair commands, I got the error message of the second image instead when trying to boot Windows on the laptop.

After that I decided to create a Lenovo USB Recovery key with the Lenovo USB Recovery tool on my desktop PC. I requested a download link of the Recovery tool for my specific Legion model and I used a Kingstons MobileLite G4 USB 3.0 card reader with a Sandisk Microsdxc card as USB key. The creation went fine and the key booted and was verified on the laptop.

The installation process went pretty fast until the green bar was almost full. Then it stopped, and has made no progress for many hours.

Any ideas of what to try next? Reinstall Windows with an installation USB boot image from Microsoft, and then manually install the Lenovo Vantage Windows tools?

Best regards,

Claes

Answer
Options

2 Posts

03-17-2020

Sweden

2 Signins

30 Page Views

Re:Product Recovery stuck

2020-03-18, 8:49 AM

Okay, I solved it by creating a Windows installation USB with the Windows media creation tool on my ASUS PC, and then reinstalled Windows on my Legion laptop. After that I installed Lenovo Vantage manually from the Windows store. Not sure if the laptop looks exactly the same now in terms of partitions and software, as it did when I had just bought it.

I then discovered that I could easily shrink the Windows C: partition with the Windows Disk Management tool, even when running Windows from this partition! No need to use GParted and live boot media to shrink the partition.

Best regards,

Claes

Replies(4)
Answer
Options

2 Posts

03-17-2020

Sweden

2 Signins

30 Page Views

• Message 2 of 5

2020-03-18, 8:49 AM

Okay, I solved it by creating a Windows installation USB with the Windows media creation tool on my ASUS PC, and then reinstalled Windows on my Legion laptop. After that I installed Lenovo Vantage manually from the Windows store. Not sure if the laptop looks exactly the same now in terms of partitions and software, as it did when I had just bought it.

I then discovered that I could easily shrink the Windows C: partition with the Windows Disk Management tool, even when running Windows from this partition! No need to use GParted and live boot media to shrink the partition.

Best regards,

Claes

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

1 Posts

05-27-2020

United States of America

1 Signins

40 Page Views

• Views: 40
  • Message 3 of 5

2020-05-27, 4:53 AM
Was your issue solved, I am having the exact same problem now and can’t find answers/help anywhere. Thanks
Options

18 Posts

12-24-2020

United States of America

24 Signins

105 Page Views

• Views: 105
  • Message 4 of 5

2020-12-24, 22:44 PM

I installed recovery from lenovo on a flash drive and have the same problem as the op. It does fine until it gets to the same point as in the op's image. Any ideas?

Options

1 Posts

04-16-2021

Australia

1 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 5 of 5

2021-04-17, 3:26 AM

I had the same problem solved by changing bios storage option from AHCI to RST.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms