Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
firman-
Paper Tape
Views: 935
Message 1 of 16

RECOVERY PARTITION become UNALLOCATED

Hi there,

i am a new comer on lenovo things. Please need your advise for my lenovo y700 171SK-80QO, with 16GB RAM & 1 TB HDD.

Previously, i have :

1000 MB Recovery partition

19.29 GB Recovery partition

1000 MB OEM partition

260 MB for EFI System Partition.

the 19.29 GB was acctidentially becoming Unallocated (i dont know why, maybe be son did this). Then i ask one of my friend who having more exprience on lenovo things,to do reset to factory following the lenovo guidline by hoping the 19.29 back to normal becoming "RECOVERY PARTITION". and Suprisingly he did that successfully wihtout any issue or blocking. But weird, the 19.29 still saying UNALLOCATED.

Can you please help me :

1. How to bring back the status disk of 19.29 GB becoming RECOVERY PARTITION again ? i am just that this would be like a time bomb where the future problem waiting to come when it touch to this 19.29 GB requirement.

2. what is inside the 1000 MB Recovery partion & the 19.29 GB Recovery partition ? what is the differenct between those 4 partitions ?

3. why the reset can be successfully eventough the 19.29 are in UNALLOCATED status ? my friends told me he did not do out of lenovo guideline...

PLease advise me on these issue.. 

thank you,

Firman

Justin76
Punch Card
Views: 915
Message 2 of 16

Re: RECOVERY PARTITION become UNALLOCATED

That partition should contain the drivers and Lenovo software, windows should install drivers anyways, but you can download the drivers and software from the Lenovo support website.

firman-
Paper Tape
Views: 908
Message 3 of 16

hi there,

which partition that you are talking about ? kindly need help to elaborate.. i have 3 questions there...

also, how can i put the unallocated partiion become recovery partition.

thank you,

firman

Justin76
Punch Card
Views: 905
Message 4 of 16

Here is a picture of my Disk Management for comparison, Disk 1 is my C: drive with 4 partitions.

First partition is the Windows 10 key and information which cannot be deleted or formated, second is my Windows installation, third which is 25GB is the Lenovo drivers and software, the forth is 1000MB recovery, which is a system restore point, incase you cannot get into windows or something is wrong, you can restore you pc from that restore point.

Hope this helps.

Screenshot (13).png

firman-
Paper Tape
Views: 895
Message 5 of 16

Hi Jason,

yours are totally different with me. Here mine by default i have 2 recovery partition as you can see on my 1st post. but unluckily, the 19.29 RECOVERY PARTITION, become UNALLOCATION.

Capture.PNG

the UNALLOCATED partition, previouly was Healthy (Recovery Partition), as same as 1000 MB status.

Is there expert here can help me how to reconfigure back the 19.29 as Recovert partition as per first factory config ? What would happend if this 19.29 stay in UNALLOCATED status ? 

what is inside 1000 MB Recovery partition, 19.29 GB reovery partition and 1000 OEM Partition ? when those partition are required ?

advise me please...

thanks,

Firman

Justin76
Punch Card
Views: 879
Message 6 of 16

Going by the link at the bottom of my post, you cannot get your recovery drive back to the way it was as it has been deleted, as you can see it does not show in the list in your screen shot. hense "unallocated". If you right click on it you can format the drive to activate it, there is nothing on it. The drive originaly had your Windows factory settings incase you need to reinstall Windows, this has now gone.

https://superuser.com/questions/639491/what-are-the-partitions-for-on-my-laptop

firman-
Paper Tape
Views: 872
Message 7 of 16

Hi justin,

so as u said that i can not get back the 19.29 gb to become the "recovery partition" instead of "unallocated partition".

Is there any other way around how can i get back this 19.29 gb to become recovery partition ? This is critical for window reset to factory , am i right ? I will get fail on doing any windows factory reset...pls correct me if get this wrong understanding.

Or should i buy to the new original win 10 home single language 64 bit and its license ? If yes, the how about the drivers for all h/w for my y700 ?

thank you

Guru
Views: 867
Message 8 of 16

Hi there

1) You cannot create the recovery partition again, only Lenovo can do that.

2) You dont need to buy windows. Windows 10 is associated with your microsoft account, so when you bought this laptop, if you created a microsoft account or logged into one, then this laptop should have windows activated even if you recover or install it fresh.

3) You don't need a recovery partition (necessarily). If your windows somehow becomes corrupted, then you should have a Windows 10 USB which you can install on the laptop.

This USB can be created using Microsoft USB tool.

Let me know if anything is unclear. Thanks.

EDIT - As for your kid or whoever did this, they have to be a good user to know where to go and how to unallocate this. This drive is not visible directly and can only be modified via the Disk Management. Someone did this on purpose.

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
firman-
Paper Tape
Views: 859
Message 9 of 16

Hi guru,

point 1. Ok, then i will try to bring this y700 to local services centre.

pont 2. I dont remember that i hv ever logged to microsoft account, since i bought this preloaded with windows 10 home edition single language..

with that situation, should i hv to buy the new window with new licencen activation on this machine ?

point 3. If i used windows 10 usb to reset the window factory, will the disk management will show the correct one (where the unallocated become recovery partition? 

And how about the h/w driver for this laptop if i start to do reset the windows via win10 usb or new windows dvd from the authorized microsoft sales ?

The person who made this problem, was a human error, he just learn how to expand the hardisk from the fresh computer technition, but he did it wrongly..

thank you

Guru
Views: 857
Message 10 of 16

1) The local service center might charge for it (I am not sure).

2) Still you dont need to buy another key. The windows is also associated with the motherboard in the laptop. If you install fresh windows, it should get auto activated from the motherboard (just Skip when it asks to enter key during installation).

You can create and log in to a microsoft account now on this laptop (as a user online account) and this windows will get associated with that account.

3) No, fresh windows install is a fresh install. You will not get the recovery partition back. (But who needs recovery if you can recover/refresh windows from a USB)

4) The drivers for this laptop are all available on the support website. Click on the Support link above, search for your laptop and go to drivers section.

I understand it is human error, I have made several silly mistakes while learning my way through. It happens, nothing serious.

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors