Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sir_Sean
Paper Tape
Views: 1,316
Message 41 of 73

Re: Reducing fans noise on Lenovo Legion laptops

Hi all! First of all, I beg your pardon for my bad English. As I understand, the problem exists on different versions of the Legions (520 and 720), which have different versions of the BIOS. I had a Legion Y520-15ICBN with core i5 and the BIOS version for July-August 2017 and there were no problems with the noise of the coolers. Now I have a version of Legion Y520-15ICBM with a CORE I7 and it is a newer model, with 1060 max-q and its own version of the BIOS. And here I came across the same problem of noisy coolers under low load. Also I noticed that the processor does not lower the frequency, even in idle or small load . And it is on latest version of BIOS - 5xcn22ww. It seems to me that the problem really is in settings of speeds of the fans at low temperatures in BIOS, and also that the processor does not reduce the frequency. By setting the maximum processor frequency to 50% in the power profile of Windows, I was able to achieve a comfortable level of fan noise with low load in everyday tasks. For games and serious work, of course, you need to use a different power profile. Lenovo, please, solve that silly problem. Previously, everything worked correctly.

nightfever
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,165
Message 42 of 73

I recognized that on my Legion Y720 it is only the right fan which does noch calm down. That's the one cooling the GPU.

Yesterday I opened the case to clean the fans and grills. I saw that the yellow wire of the GPU fan was cut through. I connected it again, but it made no obvious difference. The fans' cable contain a red, black, blue and yellow wire. The yellow one should be the one for reading the rounds. Can someone confirm?

Agatio
Punch Card
Views: 1,108
Message 43 of 73

I read that the 2nd pin on pwm fans or the yellow should be the 12V wire.

I was actually thinking that a solution to these loud fans might be somehow modding the voltage they receive by having a thing between that yellow wire connector and the yellow fan wire that would reduce the voltage so that the fan would receive lower voltage and always spin slower at an offset from the normal. I’m still researching about this.

Hyperfish
802.11n
Views: 1,085
Message 44 of 73

There are some options to control the fans in the UEFI firmware, they're just not exposed to the user:

Y700 UEFI Platform Thermal Configuration.jpgY700 UEFI Platform Thermal Configuration

The above is on the Y700 but I guess the Y720 is very similar.

You can either modify your BIOS to make these options appear as part of the Advanced menu under Thermal Configuration Platform Thermal Configuration (more difficult) or just edit the relevant UEFI variables to change these settings directly (easier).

To find out what these options are, you can use IFR extractor: https://github.com/LongSoft/Universal-IFR-Extractor on the SetupUtility module extracted from the .fd image with UEFI Tool: https://github.com/LongSoft/UEFITool

nightfever
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,000
Message 45 of 73

I extracted the .rom from the .fd with UEFItool, but I can't use it with IFR extractor. It says unknown protocol instead of UEFI.
Hyperfish can you please explain a bit more or give a short tutorial?
UbW5
Token Ring
Views: 979
Message 46 of 73

Hyperfish, thank you for the new idea.

I have extracted Setup Utility options from Y720 bios (see in attachment). I can confirm that default values in "Platform Thermal Configuration" menu are the same as shown in screenshot.

Fan speed values in this menu are very high (65%, 75%, 100%).
I don't know the exact value of idle fan speed, but I think it is about 30-40%.

Is it possible to keep the fan at lowest speed (or turn it off) when CPU temperature is low (<45 degrees), by modifying values in this menu?
Can somebody explain what does the last two options in the menu: "CPU Temp" and "CPU Fan speed"?
How to set a new value to UEFI variable (in Linux, Windows, UEFI Shell)? For example, how to set a value 0x1E to the variable 0x488?
How to do it safely and in case of problems (brick, for example), restore the default values?

Hyperfish
802.11n
Views: 927
Message 47 of 73

I only have the Y700 but I believe it'll be similar enough.

The IFR dump tells you where each setting is located, although reading it might be a little cryptic. When you see an entry for a setting such as this:

0xB391E Numeric: CPU Fan Speed, VarStoreInfo (VarOffset/VarName): 0x488, VarStore: 0x1234, QuestionId: 0x9A3, Size: 1, Min: 0x1, Max 0x64, Step: 0x1 {07 91 9D 0D 9E 0D A3 09 34 12 88 04 00 10 01 64 01}

You first have to find out which UEFI variable the particular VarStore (0x1234 here) refers to. You can (a) search backwards for the beginning of the particular "Form Set:" (here, it's "Advanced"), or (b) you can read the approximate offset at the beginning of the IFR dump:

Form Sets
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Offset:		Title:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0x97B2C		Advanced (0x1481 from string package 0x0)

Either way, this takes us to:

0x97B30 Form Set: Advanced [A04A27F4-DF00-4D42-B552-39511302113D], ClassGuid0 [9F85453E-2F03-4989-AD3B-4A840791AF3A] {0E A7 F4 27 4A A0 00 DF 42 4D B5 52 39 51 13 02 11 3D 81 14 75 14 01 3E 

And slightly below we have:

0x97B8D VarStore: VarStoreId: 0x1234 [A04A27F4-DF00-4D42-B552-39511302113D], Size: 0x708, Name: SystemConfig {24 23 F4 27 4A A0 00 DF 42 4D B5 52 39 51 13 02 11 3D 34 12 08 07 53 79 73 74 65 6D 43 6F 6E 66 69 67 00}

In fact, most of the settings are kept in the variable with this particular GUID but there are exceptions so you should always check.

Once we know that, the other parameter, VarOffset (0x488 here), is just what it says it is: the offset (that is the number of bytes from the beginning of the variable) where this particular setting is stored.

Caveat: many of these settings are not applicable to this particular platform and do nothing on this laptop. Often, you will know it at this point when the VarStore seems to point nowhere, however it's also possible a setting is stored but never used. I did not verify if the fan settings do anything on my laptop.

Now, to change the UEFI variables the best-tested way is to use Insyde's own utility, H2OUVE, which works from within Windows:

1. Dump the variable in question. 

H2OUVE -gv var-setup.txt -g A04A27F4-DF00-4D42-B552-39511302113D -n Setup

Usually it will be the Setup variable, referenced by the GUID above. Or, if you prefer, you can just remove the extra parameters to dump everything.

2. Editvar-setup.txt and change the value at the particular VarOffset.

3. Save the variables back:

H2OUVE -sv var-setup.txt

4. Restart to take effect.

As I said, I don't know what the settings do, or if they work at all, particularly on a Y720. You would have to experiment and find out that part yourself. I would not recommend most people touching any of this unless they are comfortable with it themselves. Since you mentioned soldering, I thought you are advanced and/or motivated enough to consider this as an option but ultimately the decision is yours.

If you reflash the firmware ("BIOS"), all settings will be reset to their defaults. However, if some change makes the system unbootable, as far as I know there is no official emergency reflash process for these laptops. Even if there were, I would still suggest you use a hardware programmer to make a complete dump of the SPI flash in your laptop before making any changes. You can then restore from the backup if anything goes wrong.

Disclaimer (to anyone reading this): I am just sharing the information with you. Whatever you decide to do with it, it is your choice and the consequences will be yours to manage. This is advanced stuff for people who know what they are doing, and understand they are on their own if things go wrong. Thank you for your understanding.

Agatio
Punch Card
Views: 923
Message 48 of 73

Thanks for the info. This seems to be quite dangerous. I only know some basic game programming. I guess its safer to try and make a profile for Notebook Fan Control software. I guess its not possible to brick the laptop with those.

Hyperfish
802.11n
Views: 872
Message 49 of 73

That would be one good solution of course but I don't know of any fan control software that works with these laptops.

The biggest risk with adjusting fan settings is from inadvertently overheating the laptop, which can cause damage. Reflashing UEFI is not really dangerous once you have a full backup of the SPI flash chip that can be restored if things go south. But obviously all the usual disclaimers apply.

If as a programmer you are familiar with the assembly language you could actually modify the SetupUtility image to display the Advanced tab, which is hidden by default. Although it remains to be seen if the fan control settings there actually work, this could make the whole ordeal more worthwhile. Either way, good luck!

Highlighted
Agatio
Punch Card
Views: 834
Message 50 of 73

NBFC seems to have some effect. I could get it to work with either too loud constant speed which never changed or both fans always off Smiley Very Happy

I could’t find the correct locations yet for fan control, but the way it works now seems fine. Maybe its the default fan settings or slightly quieter. I think I just used the Lenovo 1 13 or 2 13 confiq and fiddled around with it. The settings remain even after shutdown and without the program starting.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors