Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rmarx
Punch Card
Views: 2,573
Message 11 of 73

Re: Reducing fans noise on Lenovo Legion laptops

Thanks for the overview regarding the "issue".

I was hoping Lenovo would do some improvement regarding the threshold but as you said, nothing happened regarding the fan.

There should be some kind of request list so we users could list their requests, for example, better threshold temperature and Lenovo could answer them whether it's feasable or not but it would appear tons of requests lol.

In my opinion the only thing for this laptop to be perfect would be a better control of the fans.

If someone knows the correct person to complain, please, share here.

CrazyLoop
What's DOS?
Views: 2,471
Message 12 of 73

Did anyone find any solution for this?
LelouchV
Broadband 3G
Views: 2,400
Message 13 of 73

Personally, I've never had this problem on my Y720. Is there enough space under the laptop for airflow? The 4 pieces of rubber under the laptop are meant to keep some space for the fans to operate in, but those only work when the laptop is placed on hard surfaces like a desk. If you keep it on your lap or bed, then the fan will make noise as it struggles for air. Take a good look at the bottom of the laptop and locate the 2 grate-like openings. Those are important to keep above surfaces. Otherwise, make sure you don't have a huge number of background services on. Check your taskbar and task manager to locate what's open. 

rmarx
Punch Card
Views: 2,397
Message 14 of 73

I guess you didn't get the point.

When the laptop is idle the fans are on.
Nothing is blocking the airflow.
It's a characteristic of this laptop, unfortunately.
LelouchV
Broadband 3G
Views: 2,391
Message 15 of 73

That is true, the fans are always active when the laptop is on. However, you don't find it noisy right? I can often hear the laptop shifting through it's several fan speeds. When on idle, the fan noise is barely audible, for me anyway.

UbW5
Token Ring
Views: 2,366
Message 16 of 73

The thermal thresholds on Y720 are too low.
The fans are clearly audible when CPU temperature reaches just ~40 degrees.
The default behavior of fans on this laptop is very distracting. For example, the fans are often accelerated when loading web pages, and after a few seconds they become quiet again.
Disabling Intel Turbo Boost option helps a lot to keep laptop quiet while web browsing. But this reduces performance.

In my opinion, this frequent shifting of fan speed is a serious design flaw of the cooling system. But it can be easily fixed without affecting the cooling efficiency. Increasing of some thermal thresholds by 5 degrees should be enough for most people. Many other laptops do not even activate the fans until CPU temperature reaches 50 degrees.

I realy want to know if Lenovo will do something about it.
I and many other users are waiting an official statement from Lenovo about this problem and possible solutions.
If this problem will never be investigated and fixed for current generation laptops, please confirm that.
Any answer will be acceptable.

LelouchV
Broadband 3G
Views: 2,349
Message 17 of 73

Have you tried right clicking your battery indicator, going to power options, then Change Plan Settings, and Change advanced Power Settings, Then going to Processor Power Management, then turning the system cooling policy to passive?

rmarx
Punch Card
Views: 2,264
Message 18 of 73

Isn't there a way to physically stop the fans?

Maybe open, cut the wires and install a switch!

Lenovo doesn't help at all.

LelouchV
Broadband 3G
Views: 2,260
Message 19 of 73

There's no way to actually stop the fans on these laptops. Other versions have the fans as something that can be turned off when unneeded, but this isn't one of those laptops. However, better to have annoying fans than fans that wont cool adequately ! Either way, you can always try to open it up and install that switch, but the components are too small and fragile for such an operation to have a high chance of success. The most you can do is to go through settings and make sure that they aren't forcing the fans to run faster than needed.

rmarx
Punch Card
Views: 2,069
Message 20 of 73

I would like to share one experiment I did with my Y720.

While sleep mode, I opened it and unplugged the fans conectors from the mother board, then I tuned on the laptop and I worked with it all day long and it kept a cool temperature.

During the day I used MS Office + PDF + YouTube and the performance was great.

I use a laptop stand to help cooling but without aditional fans.

I didn't measure the temperatures with any softwares because I one I have, CPUZ, consumes 7-9% of the CPU, I don't know why, so I felt the temperature using my hand.

I noticed it raised a little bit compared with the fans on, but nothing compared with my other laptop a Dell Gaming 7559 that worked with the fans off at 45 Celcius.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors