Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hyperfish
802.11n
Views: 1,500
Message 31 of 74

Re: Reducing fans noise on Lenovo Legion laptops

It'd be great to have actual German laptops on the market but for the record this is just another brand selling Clevo laptops, the equivalent of Sager in the US. Still a good choice though if similarly priced, thanks for sharing.

Miguel989
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,448
Message 32 of 74

I can't say it does a whole lot for light work load but I've been undervolting the cpu and disabling turbo boost with intel extreme tuning while gaming and it does keep the fan speed down a notch if I'm on medium settings.

scarfeiz
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,351
Message 33 of 74

Idem Here. Fan noise on a idle pc is too too much, with 35°/40° and 10% cpu use we don't need two spaceX coolers.I don't care when I'm playing pubg or bf1 but watch a movie with that noise is horrible. Give us the control of ours laptops, give us the program for this, not Lenovo nerve sense, this program don't do anything. And please Lenovo, PLEASE, answers the questions, give us a honorable support.

HelpMeLenovo2
What's DOS?
Views: 1,245
Message 34 of 74

I just registered here to bump this thread. I am very happy with my Y720s temperatures under high load.

Gaming is possible (mind you I undervolted) with cpu temperatures never reaching 75°C. So kudos to Lenovo for the cooling system!

BUT at light load, the fans still roar with like 30% fan speed and do not seem to slow down even when the temps fall below 40°C. This is totally unnecessary.

So, yes! The automatic fancurve is ludicrous! But it should be nothing a BIOS update couldn't fix. So please give us fan control OR a better automatic fan curve.

Btw, I am coming from an Acer Laptop which had huge temperature issues but was sooo quiet in idle mode, it was relaxing and nothing a little undervolt + repaste couldn't handle for gaming.

At the moment, I will keep my Y720 not because I am particular happy, but because the Clevo I tested was even worse in case of sound emission. That saying, if this problem will not be solved I will refrain from buying a Lenovo gaming brand again in the future. Money speaks.

Matthaio
Punch Card
Views: 1,206
Message 35 of 74

Same here. It's sad that Lenovo just doesn't seem to care. The problem isn't anything that bios update couldn't fix. All they need to do is to increase the fan speed temperature thresholds by 5-10 celcius degrees. It's sad that decent laptop is ruined by too aggressive fan curve.

The cooling system is efficient. I "fixed" the fan noise problem by having the bottom air intake mesh semi-covered when I'm just browsing internet or watching movies. It muffles the fan noise to bearable levels and doesn't make much difference to temperatures. The fans are on the noisier side but the situation could be remedied with less aggressive fan curve.

I remember reading that that the Lenovo Yoga 910s & some other laptop models have had the same problem with aggressive fan curve and Lenovo eventually released bios update that bumped up the temp threshold. I just don't understand why they keep adding the same over-aggressive fan curve to laptop models again again...that's like beating your head against the wall. I love many things about my Legion Y520 but if Lenovo doesn't do anything to remedy the fan noise situation it will be the the last Lenovo purchase for me (I also got Motorola Moto G4, Yoga Tab 3).

Miguel989
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,175
Message 36 of 74

The Y520 is my first Lenovo, and if no attention is paid to this then it may very well be my last. Shame, really nice product otherwise.

aldumas
Token Ring
Views: 1,155
Message 37 of 74

Mostly happy owner of a Legion Y720 here.I write to support all the other posters about this issue. There should be at least 3 fan intensity levels in Nerve Sense. 1) Low noise : fans idle @ CPU 45C or less) 2) Regular : current settings 3) Full throttle : already exists. Please Lenovo. Listen to your paying customers!
nightfever
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,043
Message 38 of 74

Y720 wil also be my last Lenovo product, if Lenovo is not going to address this topic soon!

Maybe we should scream a little bit louder and carry it over to Lenovos Facebook page.

Leirsa
What's DOS?
Views: 1,011
Message 39 of 74

Hello, same fan problem here with my new Y520.

I did try to create a new Notebook FanControl profile using the user manual but was not able to identify the registers controlling the fans (registers 06 and 254 seem linked to fan speed but I couldn't set them to a chosen value).

nightfever
Fanfold Paper
Views: 999
Message 40 of 74

NBFC recommends some alternative model configs. So I tested the recommendations and found out that the Ideapad Y580 seem to work for reading the fan speed correctly. If you load in the IdeaPad Y580 config and turn on Extreme Cooling in Nerve Centre, the fan speed in NBFC goes up.
But thats all. No reaction by setting a target fan speed. Auto control seems hard coded on another level and can't be overruled by NBFC.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors