07-03-2019

CA

19 Signins

126 Page Views

• Views: 126
  • Message 1 of 2

SSD Recognition Issues (Y520 15-IKBN)

2020-08-01, 9:39 AM

EDIT: PROBLEM SOLVED! right clicking the black bar that said "un-allocated" brought up a menu with initialization options.

See steps I tried before this below if you're having the same issue.

Hi guys, I recently got a 1T Samsung Evo 970 Plus to put in my lenovo legion y520 15IKBN. I think windows sees it, but the drive is not showing up in "my computer".

here is a list of steps I tried: 

I went to disk management to try and change the drive letter, and what I assumes is the ssd was labelled as "healthy recovery partition". When I right clicked it, there were no options at all and the right click menu only said "help".

So the I tried the diskpart utility which I ran from cmd, and I only saw one disk listed as disk 0 and it said it's 931GB used and 0 free, I can only assume that was not the SSD.

Did a restart, switched the SATA mode to AHCI in the BIOS which put windows into a boot loop... So I switched back to the intel SATA option and my computer started fine. 

Now disk management sees the Samsung SSD and asked me to initialize it which I did ( I chose the GPT storage option), however it's still not showing in "my computer", and there is still no option to format it in the disk management utility. Automatic driver update didn't help, it says the driver installed is the best one (the driver says 2006 as the date though :/ ).

this is what it looks like (image attached)

Options

3286 Posts

12-22-2008

CA

12336 Signins

177624 Page Views

• Views: 177624
  • Message 2 of 2

Re:SSD Recognition Issues (Y520 15-IKBN)

2020-08-01, 11:36 AM

Good to hear that you managed to solve this problem.

I recently ran into this same issue. Windows Disk Management doesn't make it very obvious how to deal with this situation.

Using Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete