Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
DennisTakeshi
Blue Screen Again
Views: 303
Message 1 of 6

SSD from other laptop with windows already installed not getting recognized by Legion Y520

Hello guys,

So, I've seen a couple guys having problems with adding SSD's to the Legion laptops, and I've seen that changing some Bios settings may worked out for some. But I have a different kind of problem.

I burned my last laptop (motherboard problem), and I bought Legion Y520. So I tried to add the other SSD on this one, but it didn't get recognized at all! The problem is, the SSD already has Windows, and I really need to do some files backup from that SSD. This laptop didn't come with OS, so I decided to install Windows on the 1TB Sata Hard Disk, while I keep trying to get the SSD to be recognized, but still 0 success. 

I've tried to Load Default Settings from the BIOS, change to AHCI, and then Boot Mode to UEFI, but when I try to reboot the only thing I get is this:

asset.JPG

So, I can't really boot when I put that kind of settings. When I go back to Intel RST and Legacy First options, I can't see my SSD in Disk Management either. I really need your help, I really need to have my OS installed on to the SSD, and also get access to my files.

Thanks!

AM_Y520
Broadband 3G
Views: 267
Message 2 of 6

Re: SSD from other laptop with windows already installed not getting recognized by Legion Y520

I recommend that you install an OS on the 1TB HDD, divide it to 2 partitions, a small one for the OS, and the rest for the data, make the laptop bootable without the old SSD, and then insert the SSD as a second drive (not bootable), boot the laptop and try to copy your important data from SSD to HDD data partition if they are accessible, and then wipe your SSD, now change the setup and make the SSD the bootable drive and not the HDD, install an OS on it, boot the laptop and then wipe that OS partition of the HDD and keep the other data partition, now you have a laptop with an SSD as a boot drive and HDD as data/storage drive ..

I know that this may take long time and looks stupid as a solution, but it's safer for your SSD and DATA .. good luck and hope you not lose your data
CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 255
Message 3 of 6

Re: SSD from other laptop with windows already installed not getting recognized by Legion Y520

@AM_Y520 wrote:
copy your important data from SSD to HDD data partition if they are accessible, and then wipe your SSD, now change the setup and make the SSD the bootable drive and not the HDD, install an OS on it

An excellent, detailed description of what the original poster needs to do.  However, I would make one modification.  To install the OS on the SSD, the user should disconnect or remove the HDD before installing on the SSD.

The UEFI partitions will be on the HDD, and if the user installs on the SSD with the HDD still connected, the installation will continue to use the UEFI partitions on the HDD.  By disconnecting the HDD before installing on the SSD, a new set of UEFI partitions will be created on the SSD.  Once the SSD is booting satisfactorily, the HDD can be reconnected and its UEFI partitions deleted.

Doing things this way means that:

(1) Booting will be the fastest possible (since it will boot entirely from the SSD, with no part needing the access the HDD).

(2) It will be possible in future to remove the HDD and replace it with something else (e.g. a larger HDD or a SATA SSD).  If the UEFI partitions are still on the HDD, removing the HDD will stop the laptop booting.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK 

AM_Y520
Broadband 3G
Views: 252
Message 4 of 6

@CyberSimian wrote:

@AM_Y520 wrote:
copy your important data from SSD to HDD data partition if they are accessible, and then wipe your SSD, now change the setup and make the SSD the bootable drive and not the HDD, install an OS on it

An excellent, detailed description of what the original poster needs to do.  However, I would make one modification.  To install the OS on the SSD, the user should disconnect or remove the HDD before installing on the SSD.

The UEFI partitions will be on the HDD, and if the user installs on the SSD with the HDD still connected, the installation will continue to use the UEFI partitions on the HDD.  By disconnecting the HDD before installing on the SSD, a new set of UEFI partitions will be created on the SSD.  Once the SSD is booting satisfactorily, the HDD can be reconnected and its UEFI partitions deleted.

Doing things this way means that:

(1) Booting will be the fastest possible (since it will boot entirely from the SSD, with no part needing the access the HDD).

(2) It will be possible in future to remove the HDD and replace it with something else (e.g. a larger HDD or a SATA SSD).  If the UEFI partitions are still on the HDD, removing the HDD will stop the laptop booting.

@what a great informative reply by you @CyberSimian !!

and now I learned something new and very heplful ! I know nothing about that UEFI partition, but now it's very clear !
thank you

Dr_DGH
Paper Tape
Views: 236
Message 5 of 6

I HAVE PURCHASED SSD M.2 (2280 PCIe GEN3x2) BRAND IS A DATA.  I HAVE INSTALLED OS ON THE TAHT SSD & ITS WORKING FINE, 

AFTER INSTALLED SSD DISK IN MY DEVICE IS KEEP HEATING ALWAYS.... 

IS THERE ANY SOLUTION FOR THAT ?? PLEASE ADIVISE

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 225
Message 6 of 6

@Dr_DGH wrote:

I HAVE PURCHASED SSD M.2 (2280 PCIe GEN3x2) BRAND IS A DATA.  I HAVE INSTALLED OS ON THE THAT SSD & ITS WORKING FINE, AFTER INSTALLED SSD DISK IN MY DEVICE IS KEEP HEATING ALWAYS.... 

This would have been better as a new thread.  However...

NVMe M.2 SSDs produce more heat than other types of disk.  The SSD should have microcode that detects if it is overheating, and throttles performance (i.e. slows down the SSD).  This is called "thermal throttling" and is designed to prevent the SSD destroying itself.

The only way that you can reduce the heating is to stop all unnecessary programs that are running in the background.  Many programs start automatically when the system boots.  You need to decide for yourself which you can do without.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors